Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
The final season of AMC's Breaking Bad starts on August 11.

I was a relative latecomer to Breaking Bad. I'd seen the pilot when it first came out, and (foolishly) got turned off by the dad from Malcolm in the Middle and what seemed like a preposterous storyline. My bad.

Fast forward a couple of years, and I heard Aaron Paul (Jesse Pinkman) interviewed by Teri Gross on NPR's Fresh Air. That, and a host of critical acclaim and I figured it was time to give the show a second look.

When someone tells you Breaking Bad is the best show ever on television - they aren't kidding. Everything about the show is great - casting, plotlines, dialog, music. Even the cinematography is superb. (By way of comparison, you can watch all six seasons of The Sopranos and never see a shot that is particularly interesting from a visual perspective.)

As someone who knows a little bit about organic chemistry, the creators got the meth-cooking just about right, without actually giving you any real hints how to make the stuff. (Note, I hope it doesn't ruin it for anyone, but a chemist of Walt's abilities could pretty easily synthesize methylamine himself - no need to rob trains.)

If you haven't seen the show, and are curious - check it out via Netflix streaming. The first four seasons are available here in the US, and also - I believe - in the UK. (Season five is on the iTunes store.)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I just love the show. I am refreshing myself with the whole series from the pilot to the last episode of last season before August 11. I've been on this marathon viewing since last Friday and I am almost done with season 4 now.

This is by far one of the best-ever made shows I've seen. I am looking forward to seeing how it all ends.

Last edited:

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
If I had to choose, it'd be The Wire, but yes, Breaking Bad is right up there, among the best TV I've ever watched. I finished watching season 5 part 1 two weeks ago. Like you, I watched the first few episodes several years ago, but didn't really get into it. A few months ago, I gave it another chance, and blamed myself for not being more perseverant the first time. It's really great. :)

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
I'm so excited for the finale. I can't wait for it to come back. Dexter is barely tiding me over. Homeland this fall too. Good things happening. I have no idea how BB is going to end but the end of season 5 part one so intense. I watched it twice.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I never had time or cared for the show until a few weeks ago when I finally sat down to watch the pilot. A good 5 days later and I was done with the whole series.

It's still fresh in my mind, so no need to re-watch. It was rough with GoT and Mad Men ending, but Suits is back, so at least I have one show a week to watch until Breaking Bad comes back.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I love the show. Can't wait to see what Hank does now that he knows

Dean-Norris-Breaking-Bad.jpg

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
With an album cover that reads "Remember My Name" its certainly going to be a great ending. Walter's pride is what carried the show and made it what it is, and no doubt it will finally bring his destruction.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-19 at 9.24.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-19 at 9.24.40 PM.png
    77 KB · Views: 1,227

afireintonto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Portland
I'm so excited to see the conclusion to breaking bad!
It's been one hell of a show so far!

Seriously the best show i've ever seen, hopefully the end isn't some ****** lost style nonsense.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
That ending. Don't think there could have been a more suspenseful and better cliff hanger.

Can't wait.

Yes. I hate them for making me wait so long.

I wish Walt didn't kill the hit man, he was pretty cool.

Man August needs to hurry up.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
For those of us who don't have the time to re-watch earlier seasons, here's your series recap in 9 minutes.

Renzatic

Suspended
I'd seen the pilot when it first came out, and (foolishly) got turned off by the dad from Malcolm in the Middle and what seemed like a preposterous storyline.

Malcolm.jpg

Interesting little bit of TV geek trivia. The genesis of Breaking Bad actually started way back during the height of the X-Files. If you've got Netflix or Hulu, look up the sixth season episode "Drive", written by Vince Gilligan, guest starring Bryan Cranston.

Last edited:

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Same! I've started to watch all the episodes from the Pilot and I'm currently on season 3....I need to hurry up!

One of the things I really noticed during my recent spate of "binge watching" all the episodes:

Listen to the number of times the show is punctuated by a ringing bell note. Not just tio Hector's wheelchair bell. Elevator doors, microwaves, convenience stores - even the sound Walter jr.'s computer makes when someone makes a donation to his website. If you listen carefully its exactly the same note. And even if you didn't pick up on, it subconsciously works to tie the show's story together.

Its things like that, and probably a thousand other little details, that separate true artistry from mere competence.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
One of the things I really noticed during my recent spate of "binge watching" all the episodes:

Listen to the number of times the show is punctuated by a ringing bell note. Not just tio Hector's wheelchair bell. Elevator doors, microwaves, convenience stores - even the sound Walter jr.'s computer makes when someone makes a donation to his website. If you listen carefully its exactly the same note. And even if you didn't pick up on, it subconsciously works to tie the show's story together.

Its things like that, and probably a thousand other little details, that separate true artistry from mere competence.

Interesting. That's something I hadn't picked up on, but you're right; its the same note.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
I absolutely love the show, the visual style, the acting, the story lines,all the easter eggs and in a way I am glad that they are finishing the story up at a point where the interest is the highest. There hasn't been one season where I thought "ok, that wasn't the best..." - I hope they will pull a bold and interesting finale through, on a genius level of The Sopranos or so...

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I absolutely love the show, the visual style, the acting, the story lines,all the easter eggs and in a way I am glad that they are finishing the story up at a point where the interest is the highest. There hasn't been one season where I thought "ok, that wasn't the best..." - I hope they will pull a bold and interesting finale through, on a genius level of The Sopranos or so...

Agreed. I think they're ending it at the right time where it doesn't jump the shark.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Best show on television is probably pushing it a bit, but I do love it, it's an amazing show, and you have to watch it to see how really great it is. When I describe the plot to people many just roll their eyes. But once they've started watching it they understand where I'm coming from.

I too have started watching some old episodes in anticipation for the new ones. I expect to be amazed once again :D

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2007
I've just started re watching it again on series 3 atm, but what do you think Hank will do after the last scene..Play it cool or go bat-**** crazy ?

Attachments

• u0FjU-e1360939741413.jpg
    u0FjU-e1360939741413.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Do we want to speculate on what may happen in this final season? I already have partial plot worked out in my head of how it may go down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.