Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's Developer Center has been down for more than a day now, with no word from Apple on the reason behind the outage. MacRumors first began receiving reports of the downtime on July 18, at approximately 7:30 a.m. PT.

devcenteroutage.jpg
Since that time, developers have been unable to access the site and cannot visit the forums or download Mac or iOS SDKs, the iOS 7 beta, or the Mavericks beta. Though the Developer Center is offline, Apple's developer site is still accessible.

While the Dev Center often experiences downtime, many developers have stated on Twitter that the length of the outage is unusual. At this time, there is no indication of when the Developer Center might come back online. "This site is undergoing maintenance for an extended period today," reads the text. "Thanks for your patience."

Update: Apple has updated the notice on its Developer Center site, noting that developer memberships set to expire during the outage will be extended.
We apologize that maintenance is taking longer than expected.
If your program membership was set to expire during this period, it has been extended and your app will remain on the App Store. If you have any other concerns about your account, please contact us.

Thank you for your patience.

Article Link: Apple's Developer Center Experiences Daylong Outage

-RJ-

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
Norway
New, flatter design?

The developer site is ripe for a serious overhaul anyway. Guessing we'll see a flatter design like the recently updated online store?

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
It's not outage, it's a new fresh redesign of DevCenter from John Ive and his marketing team of designers )

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
It's not outage, it's a new fresh redesign of DevCenter from John Ive and his marketing team of designers )

Think you're right. Was on the phone last night with Developer Support, trying to revoke certificates and fix the mess my account has oddly become. We both couldn't log on. He put me on hold and came back that they're revamping the ADC sites. We'll see what happens.

The ADC forums are filled with threads on it. Has anyone been able to access their profiles via Xcode?

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
Think you're right. Was on the phone last night with Developer Support, trying to revoke certificates and fix the mess my account has oddly become. We both couldn't log on. He put me on hold and came back that they're revamping the ADC sites. We'll see what happens.

The ADC forums are filled with threads on it. Has anyone been able to access their profiles via Xcode?

No luck, trying to add a device to the portal via Xcode and it just times out.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
No luck, trying to add a device to the portal via Xcode and it just times out.

Hmmm, so the entire system is shut down. That's something I'd expect to happen over night. Either there are technical difficulties or the system is really being overhauled.

starnox

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
Pain

Been wanting to add a device and get a new provisioning profile all day.

2013 World Tour coming? We can only hope :)

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
Hmmm, so the entire system is shut down. That's something I'd expect to happen over night. Either there are technical difficulties or the system is really being overhauled.

The system was down yesterday at 4:30pm Central time for me.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
They didn't notify us about this!! :confused:

Yeah, if you are going to pull an extended, planned outage like this, you really need to notify people well in advance. When your business relies on Apple's developer portals, you can't afford to just all of a sudden not be able to do anything for days. Among the affected components seem to be the ADC Member Center, the developer forums which are the only place you can discuss betas under NDA, SDK downloads, documentation and toolset downloads through Xcode, and probably others. That is pretty crappy. Fortunately I'm not at a point in a project where I need to be accessing the portal, but if I was, I'd be pissed.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Yeah, if you are going to pull an extended, planned outage like this, you really need to notify people well in advance. When your business relies on Apple's developer portals, you can't afford to just all of a sudden not be able to do anything for days. Among the affected components seem to be the ADC Member Center, the developer forums which are the only place you can discuss betas under NDA, SDK downloads, documentation and toolset downloads through Xcode, and probably others. That is pretty crappy. Fortunately I'm not at a point in a project where I need to be accessing the portal, but if I was, I'd be pissed.

This isn't likely a planned outage, they probably slapped that on because as many devs know, they usually do announce stuff like this weeks in advance.

Something must've gone haywire because I'm willing to bet if this is an overhaul, they had a staging environment all ready to switch over to the public interface and something broke, so they took it off and wants to salvage it rather than going back. It's late enough in the week that they rather do it now.

starnox

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
New Message

We apologize that maintenance is taking longer than expected.
If your program membership was set to expire during this period, it has been extended and your app will remain on the App Store. If you have any other concerns about your account, please contact us.

Thank you for your patience.

Definitely not planned.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
New Message
Definitely not planned.

Yeah, I do see that now when trying to log into the developer portal. However, the message implies the maintenance itself was planned, it's just taking longer than expected. I would have appreciated an advance notice whenever they are going to do maintenance. But when I try to log into the dev forum, I only see "We'll be back soon", which was just a page load error yesterday, and trying to download command-line tools from Xcode yields an even more cryptic error: "The request timed out."

larcho

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2011
This isn't likely a planned outage, they probably slapped that on because as many devs know, they usually do announce stuff like this weeks in advance.

Something must've gone haywire because I'm willing to bet if this is an overhaul, they had a staging environment all ready to switch over to the public interface and something broke, so they took it off and wants to salvage it rather than going back. It's late enough in the week that they rather do it now.

I second that.

delawn

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2009

Overnight where? Not all developers live in North America.

This doesn't smell planned. I am guessing some type of security issue.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Submitted an update to an app so itunes connect is up atleast.

Incidentally, iTunes Connect is the thing that most needs an overhaul.

Google's store provides fantastic analytics. iTunes Connect tells you basically nothing other than some basic sales statistics.

Apple should at least provide something like TestFlight/FlightPath for the 30% they get. Things like checkpoints would be great to see which features people use most often and to help annotate crash reports.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Overnight where? Not all developers live in North America.
Well, it's been over a full day now, so overnight(+) anywhere.

I agree that something must have gone terribly wrong. Whatever happened, it doesn't seem like they were prepared for it. Just hope no information got blown away permanently, like developer accounts, settings, or the very valuable developer forum posts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.