Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Ladies and gentlemen - the new season starts here. :cool:

attachment.jpg

MacRumors' foremost Premier League-based fantasy competition is returning for its seventh season, along with its knock-out sister competition the MacRumors Fantasy Cup. Last season it was Silencio's Prospect Park FC who lifted the League championship, whilst Cup honours went to Hardly Athletic and their gaffer Tom8. Both teams will no doubt have to be at their very best though if they're hoping to defend their silverware in the new campaign.

Both our competitions are played played using the official Barclays Premier League game, you can read up on the rules and register on their site here. I'll have a good read through of the rules later and if I spot any changes from last year I'll list them in a separate post so everyone's aware

Our first competition is the MacRumors Fantasy League itself. A traditional fantasy league, you pick your team of players who then earn (or lose) you points depending on their real-life performances. The Manager whose team has the most points at the end of the season lifts the trophy. Easy as that and twice as simple.

Our second bit of silverware is the MacRumors Fantasy Cup, which is played as a 'head-to-head' competition.

It works like this – each week you're picked against another MacRumormonger, and your two teams go head-to-head, as it were – essentially, you're trying to outscore your opponent that week. Whichever team scores the most fantasy points wins, and gets three league points – the loser gets no league points and if it's a draw you get one each. This happens every week – until Gameweek 36 (currently scheduled for 19 April 2012), when the knockout phase begins! The top eight ranked teams in the MacRumors Fantasy Cup qualify and are drawn against each other in a knock out competition which takes place over the final three Gameweeks. Come the final week only two teams will be left standing, and whoever wins that final tie lifts the trophy.

I'm running things in the Cup a little differently from last season, which was limited to 18 teams. Unfortunately this meant some of our managers missed out so this year we'll run it as an open competition, albeit up to a maximum of 36 teams so that everyone plays everyone else at least once.

You're free to enter one or both of the competitions, it's up to you – but obviously you should be entering both. ;)

Any questions?

Yes – how do I sign up?
Simply use the links above to visit the Official Premier League Fantasy Football Site and register – it's totally free to do so. Once you're set up, drop me a PM and I'll send you the codes you need to enter the MacRumors competitions.

One request - if you could tell me your team name in the PM that would be useful! I post updates and league tables as the season progresses, and by posting usernames rather than real names we can protect folk's privacy a bit.

Wah! I picked a player in my team but now he's injured/been transferred/Been transferred to Hull City! Can I change him?
Fret not – you're free to pick your team and change players as many times as you like without penalty before the first deadline on 17 August, so don't worry about not being able to change your side to take advantage of real-life transfers or pre-season injuries.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask them here in this thread and I'll answer them the best I can – for now though, I think all that there's left for me to do to wish everyone the best of luck for this season's competition.

Last edited:

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Right, a couple of changes this year...

First, the game is now powered by OPTA. They're the official stats provider for the Premier League and a host of other top leagues and cover sport in impressive minutia, so the data used to calculate our scores should be more accurate than ever.

Secondly, there's been an overhaul to how bonus points are calculated. As before, 3 points will be awarded to the highest scoring player, 2 to the second best and 1 to the third. However, in the past we were rather kept in the dark about how they were allocated, but this season there's a far greater level of transparency as we now know how players are being scored.

Here's how they'll be rated...

Players score BPS points based on the following statistics (one point for each unless otherwise stated):

• Playing in a game
• Playing over 60 minutes
• Scoring goals
- Goalkeepers and defenders (4 points)
- Midfielders (6 points)
- Fowards (8 points)
• Assists (3 points)
• Goalkeepers and defenders keeping a clean sheet (4 points)
• Saving a penalty (5 points)
• For every 3 saves
• For every 3 open play crosses
• Creating a big chance (a chance where the receiving player should score)
• For every 8 clearances, blocks and interceptions (total)
• For every 8 recoveries
• Providing key passes
• Making 3 tackles
• Scoring the goal that wins a match
• Pass Completion (after making at least 30 passes)
- 70% completion (1 point)
- 80% completion (2 points)
- 90% completion (3 points)

Players lose BPS points based on the following statistics (one point for each unless otherwise stated):

• Conceding a penalty
• Missing a penalty (-2 points)
• For every 2 goals conceded by goalkeepers and defenders
• Yellow cards
• Red cards (-3 points)
• Own goals (-2 points)
• Missing a big chance
• Making an error which leads to a goal
• Every 2 errors leading to an attempt at goal
• Being tackled 3 times
• Conceding 2 fouls
• Being caught offside 3 times
• Missing the target with 3 shots

Finally, the assist rule has been modified. Now players will no longer be afforded an assist if their pass/cross into the penalty box is cleared by an opposing defender prior to a team mate scoring...

Significant Deflections
If an opposing player touches the ball after the final pass before a goal is scored, significantly altering the intended destination of the ball, then no assist is awarded.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Right, a couple of changes this year...

First, the game is now powered by OPTA. They're the official stats provider for the Premier League and a host of other top leagues and cover sport in impressive minutia, so the data used to calculate our scores should be more accurate than ever.

Secondly, there's been an overhaul to how bonus points are calculated. As before, 3 points will be awarded to the highest scoring player, 2 to the second best and 1 to the third. However, in the past we were rather kept in the dark about how they were allocated, but this season there's a far greater level of transparency as we now know how players are being scored.

Here's how they'll be rated...

Players score BPS points based on the following statistics (one point for each unless otherwise stated):

• Playing in a game
• Playing over 60 minutes
• Scoring goals
- Goalkeepers and defenders (4 points)
- Midfielders (6 points)
- Fowards (8 points)
• Assists (3 points)
• Goalkeepers and defenders keeping a clean sheet (4 points)
• Saving a penalty (5 points)
• For every 3 saves
• For every 3 open play crosses
• Creating a big chance (a chance where the receiving player should score)
• For every 8 clearances, blocks and interceptions (total)
• For every 8 recoveries
• Providing key passes
• Making 3 tackles
• Scoring the goal that wins a match
• Pass Completion (after making at least 30 passes)
- 70% completion (1 point)
- 80% completion (2 points)
- 90% completion (3 points)

Players lose BPS points based on the following statistics (one point for each unless otherwise stated):

• Conceding a penalty
• Missing a penalty (-2 points)
• For every 2 goals conceded by goalkeepers and defenders
• Yellow cards
• Red cards (-3 points)
• Own goals (-2 points)
• Missing a big chance
• Making an error which leads to a goal
• Every 2 errors leading to an attempt at goal
• Being tackled 3 times
• Conceding 2 fouls
• Being caught offside 3 times
• Missing the target with 3 shots

Finally, the assist rule has been modified. Now players will no longer be afforded an assist if their pass/cross into the penalty box is cleared by an opposing defender prior to a team mate scoring...

Significant Deflections
If an opposing player touches the ball after the final pass before a goal is scored, significantly altering the intended destination of the ball, then no assist is awarded.

just from reading that it sounds like scores might be a little higher than last year ... no?

Last edited:

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
just fro reading that it sounds like scores might be a littler than last year ... no?
The scores listed in my previous post are only used to decide who gets the bonuses - whoever tallies up the most gets three bonus points, the second two, etc. It's just more transparent now, we can see how players warrant the bonuses

The actual scoring itself is separate, and is unchanged from previous seasons.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
The scores listed in my previous post are only used to decide who gets the bonuses - whoever tallies up the most gets three bonus points, the second two, etc. It's just more transparent now, we can see how players warrant the bonuses

The actual scoring itself is separate, and is unchanged from previous seasons.

my post should have read: " a little higher than last year...

but i see what yer saying.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
All right! I'm back in to defend my title.

And this time, I made sure to not forget to enter the cup competition, as well. :eek:

Roll on, you Parksiders!

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Oh, and I did a little rebranding here and there, hope nobody minds.

Higher scores this year? My iToys can do with that!

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I've signed up for my first season :)

Obsessing over the formation though, think I've settled on a 4-3-3 but knowing me I'll change it again...

By the way, there's also a Fantasy Football League here if anyone wants a go. (If you want to play fantasy football in the better leagues... ;) )

Haven't set up a league or anything yet but anyone could if there's enough interest. Maybe one is enough though, I doubt I'll be bothered to update both teams later in the season... :p

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I've signed up for my first season :)

Obsessing over the formation though, think I've settled on a 4-3-3 but knowing me I'll change it again...

Welcome :)

Brooding over my team almost all day long...4-3-3, thought about it but the more attackers the better for me. Saw a couple of players last year playing it, so sounds legit of course.

And since it is your first season: as last years noob, I can tell you: don't fred over the old cats here, I crunshed almost all of them.
And I'm not even following the Premier League...:confused: :eek: :(

:D

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Welcome :)

Brooding over my team almost all day long...4-3-3, thought about it but the more attackers the better for me. Saw a couple of players last year playing it, so sounds legit of course.

And since it is your first season: as last years noob, I can tell you: don't fred over the old cats here, I crunshed almost all of them. :D
And I'm not even following the Premier League...:confused: :eek: :(

Haha :p

On balance I may go 3-4-3. Or maybe 4-5-1. Agh :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.