Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mewier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
These lines have an about 50% chance of showing up after my iMac boots. If I restart my computer 1-3 times it will go back to normal, which is odd.
The lines slowly wobble. I've searched and found other problems with odd colors, but nothing similar to this.
My iMac is an late 2012 model, 10.8.4 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5.

Help is appreciated. :)

Attachments

• CameraZOOM-20130612151350435.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20130612151350435.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 118

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
These lines have an about 50% chance of showing up after my iMac boots. If I restart my computer 1-3 times it will go back to normal, which is odd.
The lines slowly wobble. I've searched and found other problems with odd colors, but nothing similar to this.
My iMac is an late 2012 model, 10.8.4 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5.

Help is appreciated. :)

If the cable checks out OK (replace it) then run Apple Hardware Test in extended mode 2-3 times. If it is hardware then you will need to take it in for warranty service.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Have you checked the cable? Sounds like it could be a loose or bad cable.
Check not only the cable, but also check the connector on the display. Also, do you have something else you check the display on. Especially using the same connector on the display.

It could be the iMac, the cable, or the display itself.

Mewier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
Thanks for the replies! I did the test and it didn't find anything.
I checked the VGA cable and noticed that the end that goes into the screen has only one functioning screw, while the other one won't go in. Can this be the problem? Or shouldn't that cause the problem to happen every time?

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
VGA? That iMac has a Mini Display Port (Thunderbolt Port). Are you using an adapter and additional cable?

If the finger screws can't be tightened or even go in it's probably a bad or damaged connector right there. Check closely that no pins are bent on that connector cable.

sallsyn

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2013
great.do you have something else you check the display on. Especially using the same connector on the display.
eedszw

Mewier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
Yes, I am using an adapter.
This is occurring less frequently now, but I'll try switching the vga cable out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.