Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elizadoo

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2013
Resurrect thread for additional questions--

Hi, all. I'm new and writing on behalf of my daughter. She's going abroad next year to study Film/Digital Media--primarily Documentary filming in 3rd world countries--and I'm thinking of upgrading her video camera.

Right now she has a MacBook Pro with i5 on it, purchased June 2012. I just bought her Final Cut X and she has learned to use it the hard way, on her own. Her current school has NO video program, although daughter did attend a summer camp 5 years ago where she learned FCP 6 or something like that.

She's not intuitively technical, she bumbles and stumbles but perseveres.

However, she has handled professional cameras in the past, and now owns a Panasonic (2 years old) DSV something-something that cost me $599 new. It has HD, image stabilization and a decent audio system, etc. It's compact and has thus served her well on her international jaunts abroad.

She is really petite, has tiny hands, like those of an 8- or 10- year old. I would love to buy her a DSLR but for two reasons I hesitate: 1) it would be big and bulky, heavy for her to hold (if not balancing on her shoulder) and 2) her tiny camcorder is very unobtrusive and allows her film without being noticed. The reason she does so well in her filming is that her small size and non-threatening manner as well as small camera give her opportunities to film, and elicit candid responses, that an otherwise larger person with bigger equipment might not obtain.

Can anyone recommend a video camera that works integrates well with FCP X, a MacBPro, and would fill her needs? I know nothing about any of Apple, I'm an Android-techie-gal myself.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
She is really petite, has tiny hands, like those of an 8- or 10- year old. I would love to buy her a DSLR but for two reasons I hesitate: 1) it would be big and bulky, heavy for her to hold (if not balancing on her shoulder) and 2) her tiny camcorder is very unobtrusive and allows her film without being noticed. The reason she does so well in her filming is that her small size and non-threatening manner as well as small camera give her opportunities to film, and elicit candid responses, that an otherwise larger person with bigger equipment might not obtain.

Can anyone recommend a video camera that works integrates well with FCP X, a MacBPro, and would fill her needs? I know nothing about any of Apple, I'm an Android-techie-gal myself.

Any camera on Earth will work with Mac's and FCP X.

About dSLR, I'm a Nikon fan but I got my daughter, who is under 5 feet tall, also very small hands a used Canon "Rebel XTi" for $175. The thing is tiny for an SLR. I use a Nikon D200. If you want to do still photos of subjects that move and you can't have then stop and pose you need a fast handling camera. If you have time to set up the shot and direct your subject(s) then any small camera will do. but the SLR wins if shooting action.

The Canon or Nikon "pro" cameras are larger and built like tanks but the line of "rebel" camera are lighter and smaller and if you buy them used they are under $200 and "disposable". The old 8 or 10 MP SLRs are still capable of shooting a magazine cover shot or even commercial advertising work.

Video camera are MUCH harder to buy. With SLrs the 10 year old models are still "pro" quality and will last a lifetime (until you drop it in the water.) But older video cameras are just not good values.

Here is an example. There are some others at the $100 price point too. Then you have more budget left for a good lens. When buying an SLR, most of the budget should go in to the lens.
http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-Digital-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-DC029991066800?r=FE#

Does she have cases for all her stuff. "Pelican" is the best brand and a kind a standard. And then backup media

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.