Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
It is frustrating to rely on outlets to keep iPhone 5 charged while outside. Can anyone recommend me any charger? An ideal one would be one that would last me 24 hours without a charge.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It is frustrating to rely on outlets to keep iPhone 5 charged while outside. Can anyone recommend me any charger? An ideal one would be one that would last me 24 hours without a charge.

You mean battery?

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
I guess. Something that attaches to the iPhone and charges it without needing an outlet.

ukchris

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2010
I guess. Something that attaches to the iPhone and charges it without needing an outlet.

I've been using one from Zagg.com for over a year and I love it, I use it to charge my iPhone and occasionally my iPad Mini. Works great, I'd suggest the highest capacity one, mine may be getting "tired" but will do two complete charges of an iPhone 5 from almost zero.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
There are plenty of battery packs that basically store about a full charge for on the go use. They are usually pretty well below $100. They don't need to be a hydrogen fuel cell to do this. Some are just a case with a battery built in.

Try searching the web or Amazon for "iphone battery case", see what you like. Here's one that's popular.

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
Is there something that can charge not only iphone but your laptop as well (a giant battery with outlets on it where you can plug in your iphone usb and your laptop cable?)

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Wow, that is $1000 dollars! Quite expensive. Is there any cheaper ones than that?

http://bit.ly/1187AKi

You haven't explained what your requirements are. An external battery pack is priced largely based on capacity. If you need several hours of power without a mains socket then the price is higher than if you only need 2 hours of power.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
Wow, that is $1000 dollars! Quite expensive. Is there any cheaper ones than that?

You're asking for a battery backup charger. This is and really always has been expensive. Such things typically exist to keep an electronic device or two online during a blackout. it's like a localized, non-gas using generator for a couple of items.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Amazon has some portable battery packs that have dual USB ports to charge two devices at the same time. I'm getting one for my trip to Europe. It's not a case which wraps around the phone, which I'm not a fan of using a case anyways. I do like the idea of plugging in when needed. Plus for 30-50 dollars you can get a battery pack 7000mh-10000mh which will charge several iPhones several times. It's like a small portable harddrive that let's you plug in to recharge.

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
Amazon has some portable battery packs that have dual USB ports to charge two devices at the same time. I'm getting one for my trip to Europe. It's not a case which wraps around the phone, which I'm not a fan of using a case anyways. I do like the idea of plugging in when needed. Plus for 30-50 dollars you can get a battery pack 7000mh-10000mh which will charge several iPhones several times. It's like a small portable harddrive that let's you plug in to recharge.

Could you link to it?

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
My friend from Scotland bought me this 2000mh charger. It's pretty cool. It's bigger than the iPhone battery and it l charges the iPhone 5! Cool stuff.

Go on amazon and look for "portable USB chargers iPhone" good to just put into your back pack, man purse, or your wife/gf purse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.