Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qwerty994

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
California
So a few days ago, I stumbled across THIS article, and my Apple TV 3 serial number matches the ones that are faulty. I have noticed lately that I have been having some really bad wifi issues, and wanted to check my warranty status. I checked online, and my warranty expired a few months ago. Will Apple still replace the unit? Thanks!

(Apple TV 3 running 5.3)

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
According to that article, "Apple technicians are authorized to replace affected products for two years from the original date of purchase at no charge to the customer after verifying that the devices are running software version 5.2.1 and that there are no third party interference issues."

Is it less than 2 years old?

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
According to that article, "Apple technicians are authorized to replace affected products for two years from the original date of purchase at no charge to the customer after verifying that the devices are running software version 5.2.1 and that there are no third party interference issues."

Is it less than 2 years old?

The aTV 3rd gen was released on march 2012 so yes, all aTV 3rd gen will be covered to check on the issue.

-------------

TS I took mine a few weeks before they had the recall and my wifi was really bad, the connection lasted less than 5 mins before it got cut.
They took it in and after checking the machine, they gave another one. GL

Thraun

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2008
Abbotsford, BC
That's what the REP is for, to cover faulty units even if out of warranty.

Apple will definitely replace it for you; just take it to your closest Apple store or Authorized Service Provider to get that done. Rather quite painless.

stepandy

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
That's what the REP is for, to cover faulty units even if out of warranty.

Apple will definitely replace it for you; just take it to your closest Apple store or Authorized Service Provider to get that done. Rather quite painless.

My Apple TV also has serial number qualifying for a replacement. Whilst it does not have any wifi issues, it has intermittent issues with wired eithernet connection.

Took it to apple store, they tested it, did a full restore and said its all good, no replacement.

kf9vh

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2012
Apple support

I called apple support yesterday and they told me even though my serial number matched I would have to take it to an apple store and have them test it. My friend called and they sent him a new one. I have had mine connected with cat5 so now I am running it on WiFi to see if it fails. I was hoping for a replacement like my friend however that did not happen.

Actually I have been using a Roku 3 primarily since I prefer amazon prime to netflix and must admit that I like it better for streaming. It preforms equally well and has much more content. I think the quality of the video is superior also.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I called on mine when that first came out as my number was on the list. They set me up for an in store exchange and told me I could take it in anytime before the 2 years is up as I don't know for sure when I will be in the US. They offered to have me send this one and they would send another but shipping is outrageous here, especially to the us.

InsideTJ

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
My ATV3 has been acting weird, stuttering on itunes streaming alot. My Roku and Xbox and everything else works fine. I called, gave them my SN, and they authorized a store swap-out for me.

iMarc845

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
Rockland County, NY
Told to Bring to Apple Store

I called AppleCare... the first agent was having a bad day. He did not appear to be aware of the issue nor did he attempt to look it up.

I called back and spoke to another agent who was familiar with the problem. First, he verified my serial number was in the applicable range. Then he asked a few questions as to what I had done: I had eliminated any WiFi interference or bandwidth issues. He then directed me to take the :apple:TV into my local Apple Store.

I have an appointment at 7:00PM today.

DesignDJ

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2006
I was having intermittent connectivity issues with my apple tv 3rd gen. Every few days we'd have to unplug it. Turns out it qualified for a replacement according to the serial number. All I did was set up an appointment at the genius bar, went to the store, they entered the serial number, the service bulletin came up on his screen, and then they replaced it. No questions asked. The replacement unit is new, but the associate pulled it out of a brown box. He assured me it was a brand new unit, that's just how they handle replacements. They did not replace the remote or plug, just the unit itself.

I'm a happy customer now, my wife was ready to throw the apple tv out the window and go Roku.

Also the unit is a A1427 Built in June 2013

Last edited:

InsideTJ

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
I got mine replaced today. So far the new unit is working fine with no wifi stuttering.

iMarc845

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
Rockland County, NY
Replaced!

Mine was replaced without any fuss.

As others have mentioned, it came from a brown box and they just gave me the :apple:TV itself. I had brought the remote and power cord with me to the Genius Bar but Adam did not swap those out.

The new serial number is NOT in the REP range.

Steve2357

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2011
Los Angeles
Replaced

Mine was replaced without any fuss.

As others have mentioned, it came from a brown box and they just gave me the :apple:TV itself. I had brought the remote and power cord with me to the Genius Bar but Adam did not swap those out.

The new serial number is NOT in the REP range.

Ditto

Timan

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2003
Did you have to setup a genius bar appointment? Or did you just walk in with it to get it replaced? Did you also need the receipt and what not?

iMarc845

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
Rockland County, NY
Did you have to setup a genius bar appointment? Or did you just walk in with it to get it replaced? Did you also need the receipt and what not?

I did set up a Genius Bar appointment. No receipt necessary; though the :apple:TV was registered to me. If you didn't register yours then I'd suggest you bring some proof of purchase.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I called on mine when that first came out as my number was on the list. They set me up for an in store exchange and told me I could take it in anytime before the 2 years is up as I don't know for sure when I will be in the US. They offered to have me send this one and they would send another but shipping is outrageous here, especially to the us.

Take it to an apple reseller that officially fixes apple on mexico for the issue, they should be able to get it exchanged for free for you.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Take it to an apple reseller that officially fixes apple on mexico for the issue, they should be able to get it exchanged for free for you.

I have not seen a US company yet here in Mexico that follows what they are supposed to do. Best buy, home depot, etc. Be prepared to fight if returning something, most places tell you to contact the manufacturer.

I may call the closest and see what they say, I much prefer dealing with businesses in the us. The thought line here is that if you bought it, it's your problem.

Last edited:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I have not seen a US company yet here in Mexico that follows what they are supposed to do. Best buy, home depot, etc. Be prepared to fight if returning something, most places tell you to contact the manufacturer.

I may call the closest and see what they say, I much prefer dealing with businesses in the us. The thought line here is that if you bought it, it's your problem.

I don't live in Mexico. Apple warranty is worldwide, just show the authorized reseller that officially fixes machines under warranty to check the records for this specific problem. Apple will then send the replacement to them; they have done it for me before just not in Mexico. GL

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Worldwide means nothing here, but I may call apple mx and see what they say.

I mentioned Best Buy and Home depot because of experience with them. I took back a non working washing machine in 3 days and had to fight with them even though they have the same policy as the us stores. I refused to leave with it and they finally gave in.

Home depot was a non working gas heater (2 days), they refused to take it back as they had "no way to test it" and make sure I was not lying. I started making a commotion and the manager finally exchanged it for one that worked.

Mexico is in NO WAY to be confused with any part of the US, it's a "Caveat Emptor" country. Written guarantees on paper do not mean you will get it. Most mexican stores will do nothing after you leave the door, it's between you and the manufacturer.

I'm mexican and love the country, but there are very few consumer protections. It's all geared toward the businesses.

I will credit costco with being better on returns than the rest though. Better service also. Sams, home depot, office depot, etc. have service as bad as the rest. I will admit to living in a part of mexico notorious for bad service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.