Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmaniac75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2013
I'm sure some of you knows that but since july 9th, Max payne 3 for mac sold on STEAM does not launch !!! whatever your mac, your OS x, your configuration !!!

Steam does not seem to really care about it and its customer service is VERY poor.

The worst for me is that STEAM keeps going on selling the game !!!

so wait before buying.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I'm sure some of you knows that but since july 9th, Max payne 3 for mac sold on STEAM does not launch !!! whatever your mac, your OS x, your configuration !!!

Steam does not seem to really care about it and its customer service is VERY poor.

so wait before buying.

Well, I'd imagine they keep selling it because the Windows version "works" (in quotes because it has its own issues), and since it's a Steamplay title I don't know that they could remove one without removing both.

Having said that, even if Steam patches the problem on their end, it's still an AWFUL port riddled with bugs and with botched 360 controller support. Evidently this developer has a history of fixing absolutely nothing, so good luck getting it to run at all outside of Windows.

I've pretty much given up on ever being able to play this game. My PS3 died on me the day I brought it home, then I re-bought it on Windows and could never get past the Rockstar sign-in, then when the OS X release came I was sure I'd FINALLY get to play it...and I still can't. I've pretty much decided the universe does not want me to enjoy this game.

Celtic Warrior

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Toronto, ON
It does not run on my mac as well, I expect get update from rockstar to make it compatible with mac. Probably it worked on Mac for a while, which I did not purchase in that time, however since I have purchased on steam discount. It does not even open itself.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006

so wait before buying.

I see people are still learning what steam is all about.

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Apparently a Steam update broke it, and if you can find an older copy of steam you can get it to work again (check the game's steam forum.)

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
It will get fixed. Steam is not going to keep selling something to Mac users that works for none of them because of a known issue. If ever there was a case where "patience is a virtue" it is with computer gaming.

Everyone experiencing this problem should submit a support ticket to ensure they are aware of the problem, etc. although I suspect with an issue this widespread they already are.

Steam is not evil and out to screw anyone nor is Rockstar.

I own this game too by the way. I have other games to play until this gets sorted. I'm sure everyone else does too.

macmaniac75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2013
Patience ?! no real answer to my ticket, no customer support and I, customer of a product which should have been tested before to sell, should be patient.

I could have been patient if I got at least an answer to my requests in accordance with what a real customer service is : an decent email saying at least that they made a mistake and are dealing actively on the problem. But I got instead indifference.

There are out there game companies which are far far more preoccupied by their customer satisfaction !

For me it is clear : no more games on steam !

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004

Many companies sell games on Steam so I would suggest you just avoid games from companies who don't reply to your problems or don't give you the service you expect not all the companies on Steam.

Edwin

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
So, the company who make the game made an update that broke it, and you blame steam?

I agree that their costumer support is far from perfect, but you could try to contact whoever made the game and tell them about this latest update.

technically, Steam is just a distributor, so unless you contact them about bugs in their own games (half-life, portal, etc...) I don't think they'll help you.

Best case scenario I guess they'll forward you email to the game producer :)

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Patience ?! no real answer to my ticket, no customer support and I, customer of a product which should have been tested before to sell, should be patient.

I could have been patient if I got at least an answer to my requests in accordance with what a real customer service is : an decent email saying at least that they made a mistake and are dealing actively on the problem. But I got instead indifference.

There are out there game companies which are far far more preoccupied by their customer satisfaction !

I can only agree with the OP's statement that Steam's customer service is TERRIBLE. Worse yet: VIRTUALLY NONEXISTENT, even/particularly for their own games.

The "solution" for us customers is always to rely on their goodwill and wait for a bug-patch in the "near future" - even their user forums are ridiculously useless for any troubleshooting.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Yes - that's what the recent Steam summer sale was all about (and still is for a few more hours). FTL, here I come.

Don't do it! Don't buy FTL. I made that mistake and I've lost all of my free time. I still have nightmares about running out of fuel in Sector 8.

I'd suggest taking up something less addictive, such as heroin.

Golem

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2003
Sydney,Australia
Max Payne 3 was working fine for me a couple of weeks ago, I did not really get into it and have been playing a lot of civ 5 since that came out but it was working.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Have you all tried going into your Steam applications folder and launching the game without the client?

Celtic Warrior

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Toronto, ON
It's not a Steam issue but a Rockstar one. Apparently, they have now released a fix.

Certainly it works right now, I have waited for that update 1,5 week which is released right now, late is better than never. I upgraded graphic and resolution although I do not think my mac is going to handle this. ( Macbook pro 17 inch 2011 late)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.