Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
IGZO display technology to increase battery life (more is always better) and Corning Gorilla Glass 3 screen.

jeffkempster

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2008
How about a gps radio without having to spend another $129 for the 4G modem. This is one of the things the Nexus 7 has going for it. It is 199 and it has a gps built in. That's just $70 less then the cost apple charges to upgrade to the 4G...

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
How about a gps radio without having to spend another $129 for the 4G modem. This is one of the things the Nexus 7 has going for it. It is 199 and it has a gps built in. That's just $70 less then the cost apple charges to upgrade to the 4G...
While that would be nice for some people, I see two problems with doing that: #1, some people just aren't interested in cellular connectivity on their tablet (like me). #2, cellular data-only hardware with a GPS radio just isn't cheap enough to do that yet.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
IGZO display technology to increase battery life (more is always better) and Corning Gorilla Glass 3 screen.

They both sound good, but of the 2 I would prefer Gorilla Glass 3 if it has the transparency that Corning has said it coming, so that reflections are massively reduced (I haven't heard mention of which generation will be bringing the glass transparency many time that of pure water, meaning there is nothing to reflect off). Reduced reflections was my wish earlier in the thread.

My other hope for improvement is an iOS thing, rather than iPad, the option to turn off auto-correct. So I will stick with reduced reflections as my wish.

agkm800

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
- Stylus like Samsung's S-Pen
- More memory
- Dual speaker
- Lighter weight
- Flashlight for camera

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
1. New form factor (aka iPad mini)
2. Lighter/Thinner
3. Finger Print Reader
4. Front facing speaker and louder (I'm tired of cupping my hand)
5. 32GB entry level

TrollToddington

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Whatever new features the new iPad includes, if it does not come with 32GB base storage I'm not buying.

No 1 reason to upgrade my iPad is to have more storage and retina display. Retina display is a given ( 3 & 4 have retina, so the 5 will surely have it, too)/ Better speakers is also a wish, as well as the iPad mini style shell.

And why wouldn't I buy a 32GB if the base remains 16GB provided it's only $100 more? Call me stingy. I'm not going to pay $100 for additional 16GB disk space. Spending $100 is more reasonable if you upgrade from 64GB to 128GB, spending $100 for 32 -> 64 GB is borderline reasonable.

Of course, a better camera would be welcome as well as some more goodies I can't think of. My iPad 2 16GB is good enough to be used for even a few years more. However, I'm tired of the constant swapping of music, pictures and films in order to fit into the tight space it offers. Wouldn't buy a new iPad with less than 32 or 64 GB

jeffkempster

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2008
While that would be nice for some people, I see two problems with doing that: #1, some people just aren't interested in cellular connectivity on their tablet (like me). #2, cellular data-only hardware with a GPS radio just isn't cheap enough to do that yet.

I probably wasn't clear. I want gps only/not cellular added to the wifi only models. Again the nexus 7 is capable of this without the cost of adding a cellular option.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011

Neither of those reasons has any relevance to what he was requesting though...

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
My wish is simple and obvious and cannot yet be done realistically.

1. A large amount of storage space to hold program's. Let's say 1 terabyte to be realistic.

2. Vastly more powerful so people can write proper programs for it.

3. A larger screen.

None of these are going to happen from Apple.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands

1. A large amount of storage space to hold program's. Let's say 1 terabyte to be realistic.

3. A larger screen.

So a hand-held Mac Pro? YES!!!!! ;)

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010

3. A larger screen.

I still can't quite get my head around this post.
That first sentence is a gem.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I still can't quite get my head around this post.
That first sentence is a gem.

I would like a tablet, like an iPad (a little larger) which can store and run "Proper" full feature software, and not the type of apps the iPad currently runs.

So I am never in the situation of using my iPad for just those things it can do, but I'll have to wait till I fire up the "proper" computer so I can do the main things I wish to do.

It's that simple really

Perhaps in 10 years time and iPad will be able to do what a reasonable PC can do today?

As much as I may not like to say it,and you may not wish to hear it, the Msoft Surface Pro (after a few versions) may end up being the perfect device. Once there are cpu's that can run a full OS and batteries that can drive it, etc etc

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
I would like a tablet, like an iPad (a little larger) which can store and run "Proper" full feature software, and not the type of apps the iPad currently runs.

So I am never in the situation of using my iPad for just those things it can do, but I'll have to wait till I fire up the "proper" computer so I can do the main things I wish to do.

It's that simple really

Perhaps in 10 years time and iPad will be able to do what a reasonable PC can do today?

As much as I may not like to say it,and you may not wish to hear it, the Msoft Surface Pro (after a few versions) may end up being the perfect device. Once there are cpu's that can run a full OS and batteries that can drive it, etc etc

In terms of power, the A7X in the next iPad will likely be more powerful both CPU and GPU wise than my late 2010 MacBook Air. I agree the 'pro' apps aren't quite there on the App Store yet, but there's certainly enough power in the iPads to replace the vast majority of people's PC's.

kurzz

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Hardware these days isn't the limiting factor anymore. Software needs to catch up to the hardware. Apple needs to provide the APIs for developers to create mac-like software, like a proper filesystem for example. (dropbox is moving forward in that direction).

Quicklite

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2011
1. Scratch proof. :)
2. Reduce data latency, via new API especially on 3G.
3. Comfortable in hand.

Last edited:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Hardware these days isn't the limiting factor anymore. Software needs to catch up to the hardware. Apple needs to provide the APIs for developers to create mac-like software, like a proper filesystem for example. (dropbox is moving forward in that direction).

I would perhaps argue that point, in how you need a modern PC to run some nice software, not cut down versions, and the speed CPU and GPU is currently a giant leap away from a medium range PC

McBeats

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2007
erf
I could sit here listing stuff off for days but as for things that are completely within apple's abilities, I got just 1:

-32GB base model

C'mon, Apple. Cloud is great and all, but give it to us. :)

eejits

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2013
Remember when Apple bought over that Haptics company (forget their name) and everyone went crazy thinking some sort o' touch feedback would be introduced?

Well, if they introduced that included with pressure sensitivity, I'd be first in line.

Of course, thinner bezels would be great too.....

George

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
My number one wish would be for the new iPads and iPad Minis to be offered on the same day so that I can compare both and make an informed purchasing decision. Unfortunately, this looks increasingly unlikely to happen. I'm due to replace my iPad2. Will most likely go with the iPad 5 rather than the new iPad mini, but will need to wait until next year until the minis come out to make a decision. This will delay my purchase by a few months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.