Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeCrush980

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
I know Rosetta isn't coming back at this point, but I was hoping that 10.9 would at least bring back scrollbar arrows.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Pretty sure

Scroll bar arrows
Spaces
Expose

are all dead and will never return.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2012
What are Spaces? Aren’t they called Desktops now?

And scroll bar arrows, are you serious? :) Not long ago I had to check something on my old eMac, and I was shocked how clumsy everything felt. It’s so much easier to scroll through all kinds of things with the Magic Mouse now, even dragging the scroll bar itself feels so “complicated” to me personally.

So when I was back on my eMac I would always miss both the scroll bar and the arrows, I guess I can’t aim that good anymore :D But at least the arrows to go up and down were right next to each other, I remember when the one to go down was at the bottom, and the one to go up was at the top, that was so annoying, seriously :p

So it’s safe to say that it has evolved into the “good” :)

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
The point Apple is making with the removal of scroll arrows is this:

Scrolling is now done with the input device:- Trackpad, "Magic" mouse, touch screen surface, whatever. You no longer need a control button somewhere on the screen that you have to schlep the pointer over to and then manipulate, in order to scroll.

You scroll by using your input device. Scroll arrows are therefore redundant and inefficient. And therefore out of here.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
Pretty sure

Scroll bar arrows
Spaces
Expose

I never go into Expose, don't miss the scroll bar arrows (anymore)

I REALLY REALLY do NOT miss that akward reversed scrolling in SL.

I really LOVED Spaces.... I only used two of them, for me it was "MAC" and "PC",
press APPLE-RT or APPLE-LT to toggle between my mac desktop and a full-screen virtual machine.

On that note, what I also miss is my dang APPLE key. Really? WTF? where is my Apple! If I was good at painting, I would paint my own Apple on those keys!

eecyclone

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
Speaking of scroll bars from the older systems, the new scroll bars are really annoying when they get in the way. I have had to make the scroll bars always visible so they don't interfere with the last item in a window in list view.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Spaces
Expose
Spaces is still there, it's just you can't put them in a grid: only in a horizontal line. You can still have loads of spaces and put different apps in each one.

Exposé is still there: Application Exposé shows you one app's windows at a time, and you can switch between apps to see each one's open windows in turn. Or use Mission Control, which is just the same as the old Exposé AFAICS.

notrack

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
The point Apple is making with the removal of scroll arrows is this:

Scrolling is now done with the input device:- Trackpad, "Magic" mouse, touch screen surface, whatever. You no longer need a control button somewhere on the screen that you have to schlep the pointer over to and then manipulate, in order to scroll.

You scroll by using your input device. Scroll arrows are therefore redundant and inefficient. And therefore out of here.

I do agree that scrolling with the mouse or trackpad is easier than clicking on a tiny arrow. But it doesnt work everywhere. When you have long lists in filemaker or excel, there is not enouch precision to slowly scroll. There i do miss the arrows to precisely scroll up or down without accidently skipping rows.

omnimoeish

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2010
Yes, I know Apple doesn't read this, but hopefully someone at Apple has noticed how annoying it is to click on the last item in a list in a folder because the scroll bar appears over it. How did that get past anyone with half a brain? I have to click on one of the items above it and then arrow down to the last one. It feels very unpolished, almost Microsofty.

Also the scroll thing. A lot of older people just don't get the 2 finger scroll thing. I know if you're under 30 it's obviously better and intuitive, but I'm not upgrading my grandparents Snow Leopard because even though they have the magic mouse, they'll never think about using it to finger scroll.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Scroll bar arrows are of no use at all, trackpad rules so get over it.

Spaces

Spaces is still there, just done much, much better. No need to clunk around in the interface, only a couple of gestures.

First swipe four fingers up
Move mouse to the edge and make a new desktop.
Grab app from existing desktop and drag to newly created one.
Swipe in between desktops with four fingers.
Simple....

Scrolling:

It is now done properly...

Oh and OSX Mavericks UI is now GPU accelerated which is a million times better than the old way. At the end of the day nobody FORCES you to upgrade, unless you buy a new laptop / desktop each year that requires the latest OS...

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Don't forget the other purpose of scrollbars - to show you where you are in a document. This information is now missing, which is a step backwards.

No, the option to have them always on is there. Also, if you leave it at default setting, you can place two fingers on the trackpad/mouse to reveal the bars at any time.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-21 at 9.26.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-21 at 9.26.39 AM.png
    115.6 KB · Views: 224
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.