Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HE15MAN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Florida's Treasure Coast
I just recently got Fios in my area, and it looks like a pretty good deal. I would get their best TV package with all the pay channels, home phone (worthless to me) and 50 MB down internet for $120 a month. I am currently paying $170 a month for DirecTV and UVerse internet, and am recently out of contract for both. The main sticking point for me is that I am half way through paying for my MLB Extra Innings package, which is a must for me, but it looks like Fios has that as well.

Do any of you have Fios? If so, what do you think of it?

Thanks

AroundTheFur922

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2013
NJ
I've had FIOS for about a year now and overall am happy with their service. The remote's unintuitive and the UI can be buggy but the channels are there, Red Zone is available, and the internet speed and stability are fantastic.

HE15MAN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Florida's Treasure Coast
How much is your monthly bill? Looking at thier site, it looks like they charge $20 a month additional "rental" fee for their version of the whole home DVR. I have two of those, so does that mean my bill will be $40 more a month ? If so thats a deal breaker. I agree about their menus and remote, it looks pretty ugly honestly. Maybe I will get their internet and not tv?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I've had Fios for about 1 1/2 years...internet (75 down, 35up), TV (every premium HD movie channel in the known universe), and phone... and I'm really pleased. The tech support is pretty good, much improved. TV picture is great, and no internet problems at all...yet.

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
Verizon

The picture is perfect...the audio is great...the internet speed I have of 50 down works great BUT YOU GET BILLING THAT CHANGES FROM MONTH TO MONTH...when you start out they say we are giving U a discount on this and that and then the discount runs out and your bill will inflate big time. Fixing it with CS is horrible at best. Once you start creating a library on the DVR, you will be stuck with Verizon because you cannot store them on any kind of hard drive to be used with someone else's service...so your loyalty is forced.
You only need one DVR and you can get a HD receiver that can access the movies U recorded in the other room.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
The picture is perfect...the audio is great...the internet speed I have of 50 down works great BUT YOU GET BILLING THAT CHANGES FROM MONTH TO MONTH...when you start out they say we are giving U a discount on this and that and then the discount runs out and your bill will inflate big time. Fixing it with CS is horrible at best. Once you start creating a library on the DVR, you will be stuck with Verizon because you cannot store them on any kind of hard drive to be used with someone else's service...so your loyalty is forced.
You only need one DVR and you can get a HD receiver that can access the movies U recorded in the other room.
I agree with the BILLING. You really have to monitor your bill. Some of the discounts are intended to last 12 months and then they go up. But others are free this or that at first that you never use. Then after 3 months they start charging for a feature you never use. This happened to me on both my business account and my home account. And since I use AUTOPAY I did not notice. But in the end they gave me a refund. But what a hassle. But I do love the Internet Speed and the whole home DVR Setup (I actually have 2 DVR's that can be shared by all). Looking forward to the 6 turner media server due out around Sept. 2013.

HE15MAN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Florida's Treasure Coast
I agree with the BILLING. You really have to monitor your bill. Some of the discounts are intended to last 12 months and then they go up. But others are free this or that at first that you never use. Then after 3 months they start charging for a feature you never use. This happened to me on both my business account and my home account. And since I use AUTOPAY I did not notice. But in the end they gave me a refund. But what a hassle. But I do love the Internet Speed and the whole home DVR Setup (I actually have 2 DVR's that can be shared by all). Looking forward to the 6 turner media server due out around Sept. 2013.

How much is your bill? Is my comments above about having to pay a $20 a month fee for the boxes true?

The guy was trying to tell me after the first year, the bill would only jump up $20 a month if I got the triple play package with all their channels, 50 MB internet and home phone. Said it would go from $129 to $149.

Last edited by a moderator:

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
How much is your bill? Is my comments above about having to pay a $20 a month fee for the boxes true?

The guy was trying to tell me after the first year, the bill would only jump up $20 a month if I got the triple play package with all their channels, 50 MB internet and home phone. Said it would go from $129 to $149.
I have the ultimate package and special approx. $40 discount due to billing problems but I pay around $225 (should be closer to $250-260). Here are some details to help you.

6/257/24Triple Play 139.99 <---- normally around $149 (see credit below)
Bundle Price Includes:
FiOS Digital Voice UnlimitedView Details 30.00
FiOS TV Ultimate HD 74.99
FiOS Internet 75/35 60.00
24 Mo. Special FiOS Bundle Credit thru May 24, 2015
($15.00 off TV, $5.00 off Internet) -20.00
24-Month Contract Discount thru Apr 23, 2015
($5.00 off Internet) -5.00
6/257/24HBO 18.99
6/257/24Movie Package Ultimate HD 11.99
6/257/24Multi-Room DVR Package - 3 Room 39.99 DVR + 2 STB
6/257/24High Definition DVR Rental 16.99 EXTRA DVR
6/257/24Cable Card Rental 3.99 HDHOMERUN

Next 9.50 is the HBO 12 Mo discount
6/25 7/24Premium Content 12 Mo. 50% Credit thru Jun 21, 2014 ($9.50 off TV) -9.50

Next is a credit because of a billing problem. Very long story but I complained to the FCC. I had a grandfathered account and they said I could upgrade to the faster internet speed at a lower cost but when it turned out not to be so I said put me back and they said they could not. Again, long store but the compromised saved me about $40 per month.

6/25 7/2412 Mo. Multi-Room DVR Credit thru May 23, 2014
($19.99 off TV) -19.99

BOTTOM LINE. I went to FIOS for the INTERNET SPEED. I am "hopping" for more streaming options and less renting of the hardware but I still want the content. But for this I feel Internet Speed is the most important. Also, my office has FIOS so my connection to my office is extremely nice.

I may not be a good example of a typical customer.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
[/COLOR]How much is your bill? Is my comments above about having to pay a $20 a month fee for the boxes true?

Why would the guy lie about a fee increase?

I'm not clear on a lot of the complaints. Verizon gives all the temporary fee reductions as an enticement to sign up. They tell you, or indicate it in the contract, and when the temporary fee reduction period ends, they go away.

I knew up front that my bill would go up about $30 after 12 months of fee reductions...and, guess what, the bill went up about $30 after 12 months of fee reductions..just as promised.

I'm not defending Verizon...but it seems to me it is the consumer's responsibility to be aware of temporary promotional fee reductions, and if the "temporary" part is not acceptable...don't sign up.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
They all do these "enticement" programs, U-Verse, Comcast, Directv...even my newspaper. You really should only sign up for these programs if you are going to be happy with your "final" bill or be prepared to drop them when the introductory period is over. :rolleyes:

HE15MAN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Florida's Treasure Coast
I am aware of the enticement programs guys relax. What I was trying to sort though was how much of a lie he was telling me since the deal seemed to goo d to be true.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Well I got fios today. Triple bundle, ultimate pkg 75/35 Internet and phone, multiroom DVr and 4 set top boxes. About 190 a month. Getting a 400 gift card too (new ipad). Not bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.