Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

larry918

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
Hi all.

In all my years of owning a mac, I've never reinstalled the OS, which is why I'm a bit concerned my first time (I'm having a weird login screen flicker issue which I think is software related).

So to make sure - does the solution described in this article: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH10763?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US change the system's settings but keep my user data?

Also - when Mavericks rolls out (and I plan on buying it), will installing it essentially have the same procedure as reinstalling the OS?

Thanks!

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Generally, reinstalling the OS by default keeps your user data, settings and apps intact.

However, if anything goes wrong, you've always got a backup, haven't you? :D

larry918

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
Backups? What is this foreign concept? xD I just want to make sure that the system settings are completely restored to their defaults. Wouldn't want to waste an afternoon installing OSX 10.8 just for waste.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I just want to make sure that the system settings are completely restored to their defaults.
By "defaults", do you mean the original settings when the Mac was new?
No, it doesn't. A standard install MAINTAINS ALL your user/computer preferences and settings.

If you don't want that, then you should erase before doing the install. Then you'll have to restore selectively from your ha-ha backup.

However: what are you trying to achieve by reinstalling? Reinstallation is rarely necessary, and there are often other methods to sort out problematic disks.

larry918

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
By "defaults", do you mean the original settings when the Mac was new?
No, it doesn't. A standard install MAINTAINS ALL your user/computer preferences and settings.

If you don't want that, then you should erase before doing the install. Then you'll have to restore selectively from your ha-ha backup.

However: what are you trying to achieve by reinstalling? Reinstallation is rarely necessary, and there are often other methods to sort out problematic disks.

As I said above, my computer has this weird login flicker issue. I can attach a picture if you like.

ianwuk

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
As I said above, my computer has this weird login flicker issue. I can attach a picture if you like.

Yes, please. That would be useful. If you have not done so already please backup your personal files as well. I find that reinstalling the OS is a painless process (just lots of waiting) but your Mac will be back up and running in no time.

larry918

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
Sorry for the quality, but it happens at random and this was the best I could do.

Attachments

• Flicker.png
    Flicker.png
    380.9 KB · Views: 95
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.