Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lmark212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
Apple's product cycles are very odd. I want to buy a 5th Generation iPod touch but I'm not sure if Apple will release one in September or October of this year. Is there a possibility for a 6th Generation iPod touch this year?

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Possibly, but they haven't made any huge changes to the Touch, and I doubt they will make significant changes for a 6G touch - Apple doesn't put much effort in the ipod line these days.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Of course it is safe. You will not be harmed at all by buying an iPod Touch. :D

In all seriousness though, I would expect the iPod Touch to get the same "S" upgrade as the iPhone in the fall, so if you want it now, I would go ahead and buy it.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Nope, they have the issue of spontaneous combustion.

Other than that I do agree with Slu, normally they get the upgrades the iPhone gets. Whether or not it will actually include a fingerprint scanner is beyond any of us. But there is no harm in waiting if it does mean a lot to you.

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
Look up

MacRumors' buyer's guide is always a good source - if you haven't seen it before then it's on one of those tabs at the top of this screen. The advice is there, but ultimately the decision is yours.

.Asa

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
I'd buy one now.

2008- total redesign
2009- specs boost
2010- total redesign
2011- white color
2012- total redesign
2013- probably something small like new colors.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I'd buy one now.

2008- total redesign
2009- specs boost
2010- total redesign
2011- white color
2012- total redesign

im not so sure about apple product life cycle anymore since Tim Cook took over. No one really expect them to cut Ipad 3 after 3 months or even release an Ipad mini let alone new improve ipod touch which no one anticipated.

Touch 5 took a lot of hit from the Ipad mini price point so this sep they might do a price cut or add new color or maybe even release a touch 6 with bigger screen. If i were the op, i would wait or maybe get a 16gb version if already own a good camera phone.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
If i were the op, i would wait or maybe get a 16gb version if already own a good camera phone.

I would never get the 16gb seeing how much room apps end up taking unless that's all you can afford.

I would get a 32gb as the minimum size.

I agree with you though that nobody knows what the release schedule will be under Tim Cook. I just look at the number of products rumored to be released this fall and I can't see any time available for changes on the Touch besides cosmetic changes.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
16 GB is too low, hell, I bought the 32 GB and I kinda regretted it I should have gone with the 64 GB. I keep convincing myself "nah, I won't use much apps and game are for casual maybe under 200 MB? No music, no music at all" and lo and behold I uploaded like 3 GB worth of music and my game apps alone is like 20 GB? I'm running out of space!

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I have the 64GB version and I only have 1.2 GB left! I wish there was a 128GB version.

Same - I want a bigger version, 64Gb isn't enough.

2013-06-08+18.17.44.png

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Same - I want a bigger version, 64Gb isn't enough.

Interestingly yours seems to be filled with music.

Mine is mostly videos and apps which is crazy because I have tablets and a smartphone for this stuff.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 231

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Interestingly yours seems to be filled with music.

Mine is mostly videos and apps which is crazy because I have tablets and a smartphone for this stuff.

I've got an Xperia Z and a Nexus 7, so the Touch is just for music and ebooks.

Jelako72

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2013
I have a Gen3 ipod touch that is on its last legs, requiring a hard reset almost daily.

I'm trying to stretch it out as long as I can because I just know if i buy a 64gb 5th gen, they'll announce a 128gb edition or some other feature that will drive me nuts.

The one thing I'll say is that Best Buy has had iPod Touch 5th generation sales regularly. One week they're $5 off the next week they're $25 off. Prior to June, I think you'd have to go back to Thanksgiving to see any kind of iPod touch "deal". The fact that Best Buy is rotating sales has me thinking something is going to happen in the fall, so I'm going to try to hold out as long as I can (Black Friday?).

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I have a Gen3 ipod touch that is on its last legs, requiring a hard reset almost daily.

I'm trying to stretch it out as long as I can because I just know if i buy a 64gb 5th gen, they'll announce a 128gb edition or some other feature that will drive me nuts.

The one thing I'll say is that Best Buy has had iPod Touch 5th generation sales regularly. One week they're $5 off the next week they're $25 off. Prior to June, I think you'd have to go back to Thanksgiving to see any kind of iPod touch "deal". The fact that Best Buy is rotating sales has me thinking something is going to happen in the fall, so I'm going to try to hold out as long as I can (Black Friday?).

Don't base anything on Best Buy sales. Best Buy is in danger of going out of business so they have changed the way they operate in order to better compete with Amazon. If you look at everything Apple is probably releasing this fall, there is no room for any Touch upgrades besides cosmetic updates (color etc.). Besides, there has been no analyst rumors of any upgrades to the touch and there are always leaks.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
The fact that Best Buy is rotating sales has me thinking something is going to happen in the fall, so I'm going to try to hold out as long as I can (Black Friday?).

Or it's possible that they have a lot of them in stock because of the awkward fit between the iPad Mini and the iPhones. I'd also believe that certain colors aren't selling as well as others.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Don't base anything on Best Buy sales. Best Buy is in danger of going out of business so they have changed the way they operate in order to better compete with Amazon. If you look at everything Apple is probably releasing this fall, there is no room for any Touch upgrades besides cosmetic updates (color etc.). Besides, there has been no analyst rumors of any upgrades to the touch and there are always leaks.

I remember in April best buy reduced the price of the iPad mini leading to a lot of speculation about a new device yet we are still waiting. I just don't think the touch is high on the list of Apple's priorities anymore. Sales of iPods are falling year upon year and just a few days ago some stats were released saying that iPods as a whole only account for around 2-3% of Apple's revenue. There isn't much incentive for them to refresh the line this time round.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-5...al-2012-in-numbers-125m-iphones-58.31m-ipads/

Apple sold 35 million iPods during fiscal 2012, most of them Touches. That's nothing to sneeze at....

Having said that, the camera on my iPod 5G is dandy, and 64GB of storage is fine. I don't know if I'd pay another $100 for 128GB of storage on an iPod, but it is a handy device to have around. So I'd say it's safe...so safe, you wouldn't believe it. (Dustin Hoffman in Marathon Man :D )

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I'd buy one now.

2008- total redesign
2009- specs boost
2010- total redesign
2011- white color
2012- total redesign

I'm not so sure about that...this is because the 'total redesign' that the touch got in 2012 didnt really bring it up to date - it still used the A5 chip, not the A6.
The total redesigns in 2008 made it the fastest iOS device at the time.
in 2010, it got the A4 chip, the same chip as the iPhone 4.
2012's redesign didnt jump to the A6, it stayed with the A5.
Hence, if 2013's refresh is just a colour change, it'll be rocking a 2 generation old chip, as the iPhone would be on the A7.
That would suck to owners of iPhones as games, new apps etc would be held back by the power of the far inferior A5 chip.

hagr182

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
On the same boat as you, I have been eyeing the RED 64 gb Touch for a while now, I am gonna wait, but with my birthday coming up at the last days of august it,s gonna be hard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.