Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipad_mini_hand-250x307.jpg
ETNews.com reports that Apple is discontinuing its relationship with AU Optronics to supply display panels for the iPad mini as production on displays for the second-generation models is expected to ramp up in the coming months. According to the report, LG Display is already onboard and Sharp is in solid position given its technological advantage in energy efficiency, while other display manufacturers such as Samsung are competing to replace AU Optronics' production share.
LG Display already secured order from Apple. Sharp seems to have no problem in getting approval from Apple as a supplier for iPad mini 2 despite some product quality problems, because it is the only supplier of oxide semiconductor LCD. Oxide semiconductor LCD has an advantage of saving electricity. Apple plans to apply oxide semiconductor LCD to iPad mini 2 despite the initial low production yield, because it gives the advantage of saving electricity.
AU Optronics won a share of display production for the original iPad mini, but struggled with production issues and reportedly did not catch up on production until months after the device's launch, contributing to tight supplies.

According to today's report, AU Optronics has been unable to meet technical and timing milestones for the next-generation iPad mini, and Apple's improving relationship with Samsung's display arm may be giving Apple more flexibility in managing its suppliers.

Apple's plans for its next-generation iPad mini have been the subject of numerous conflicting rumors, with some suggesting that a Retina iPad mini will launch later this year, while others have indicated that the company will launch a new non-Retina model later this year before adding a Retina display early next year. Just yesterday, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo reported that Apple will not be updating the iPad mini until it can launch a Retina display version in March or April 2014.

Article Link: Apple to Dump AU Optronics as Display Supplier for Next-Generation iPad Mini?

Last edited:

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
an LG retina display would be awesome in the mini.

Having had 15" rMBP problems and having the gorgeous cracked LG display swapped with 5 yellow samsung displays I totally hope Apple sticks with LG, sure there were some problems with their panels early on with the rMBP but side by side there is no contest.

LG Displays baby!... and Sharp too, maybe even some Sony but lets forgo Samsung for good.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Does this mean more yellow-tinted screens? (LG commonly have this as a "standard" tint).

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I am still undecided between the iPad and the mini. Retina is a must for me. I still use my iPad 1 daily but maybe iOS 7 makes me buying a new one.

uknowimright

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2011
hoping the retina iPad mini comes out soon but I could stand a delay to early 2014, got a couple of consoles to buy this holiday :p

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
I am still undecided between the iPad and the mini. Retina is a must for me.

Having personally lived with a iPad 2 since launch and having played around with the girlfriends Mini since launch, I find I enjoy the experience more with the Mini. I find I'm not he only one, I've read quite a few comments on this site from people with the same feeling(after having lived with both for a decent amount of time, not just gone to the store to play with either of them for 15 min.)

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Yes, all mini users suffer from muscle strain from lifting the thing, and its huge thickness is soooo off-putting, but just maybe it would be better to go retina and stay at about the same size and weight than to sell nothing at all?

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
So Apple are willing to take quality problems over supply issues?

That makes perfect sense.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
AU Optronics won a share of display production for the original iPad mini, but struggled with production issues and reportedly did not catch up on production until months after the device's launch, contributing to tight supplies

Well Its business, not personal. Too bad for au optronics for losing business

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
releasing a mini retina with a 2 hour battery life would be far worse

releasing a mini retina and then another mini retina after 6 months would be even worse, but Apple have done stupid things before

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Honestly, with the full-sized taking on the more compact and thinner form factor of the mini, I see less and less reason to wait for one. Especially since the full sized is coming much sooner.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Oh well if they don't release an iPad Mini with retina till 2014, it just means I have €529 (64gb price) to put towards a mac-pro instead :)

But I'll still be disappointed.

AU Optronics did say last year they expected displays to go into production Q3 with release for Q4 2013. So if they haven't been able to meet that deadline, it looks like the Mini is indeed delayed..... Possibly ....

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Apple wants samsung screens bad, just admit it.

Samsung wants Apple to use Samsung screens bad. Apple doesn't.

Apple probably regrets ever having invested into Samsung ($100 million to start screen production). Should have gone with LG, or anyone else.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
So Apple are willing to take quality problems over supply issues?

That makes perfect sense.

That may not be the case. It may just be a rumour which is actually wrong. I don't think Apple would put supply before quality in my opinion.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Having personally lived with a iPad 2 since launch and having played around with the girlfriends Mini since launch, I find I enjoy the experience more with the Mini. I find I'm not he only one, I've read quite a few comments on this site from people with the same feeling(after having lived with both for a decent amount of time, not just gone to the store to play with either of them for 15 min.)

Thanks a lot. Thats a good hint. I still could keep the iPad 1 and just add the mini.

Are you working on it as well (Numbers, Pages) or just use as media consumption? Because I work as well on the iPad and need to use the keyboard.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK

Still using my trusty iPad 2 bought at launch. No full size iPad or mini I've tried since felt worth keeping.

Will definitely go for the next iPad immediately it's available. A new mini maybe, depends on if it's retina. A bumped spec of the current model just doesn't make sense. But who knows with Apple these days!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.