Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ember_icon.jpg
Realmac Software, the developer behind popular iPhone to-do app Clear, announced today the release of Ember, a digital scrapbooking app for the Mac that prioritizes acquiring and organization of photos, drawings and other imagery from the Internet.

Ember started out last year as LittleSnapper, an advanced tool for sorting screenshots on the OS X desktop. While popular, it was limited in nature, and the release of Ember brings new features. Users are able to make "Collections", which are groups that pull from the metadata of images in order to sort photos, as well as having a drag and drop interface in order to bring images from the web into the program. Ember also allows content to be shared and annotated through OS X's AirDrop and Messages feature, as well as social networks like Twitter and Tumblr.
Drag in images from your Mac and around the web, and organize them into Collections. Apply tags to images, and build Smart Collections based on the tags and other metadata in your library.

Whether you're collecting images for a project, screenshots for a client, or any other type of image, Ember's organisational tools make it incredibly easy to group your images together. You can even save straight to collections from the Ember Browser Extensions.
Ember for Mac is $49.99 and can be downloaded from the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Realmac Software Launches 'Ember', a Scrapbooking App for the Mac

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
RealMac has a trend of charging way too much for what little they offer, but $50 is insane. It makes me really appreciate folks, like the Pixelmator team, who churn out higher quality software at a more reasonable price.

defektion

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
I can't even download Little Snapper anymore from the App store.

I even bought it for $5 from the Mac App Store.

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
This seems like another program that isn't that great but for some reason it's on every tech blog.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Yes, the App Store is deflating prices and people's perception of what software is worth. But I think even before that, $50 (or I guess technically $49.99) would have been a lot for something like this. I was excited when I saw the description. But as much as I and other people want to support Mac developers, I don't think that most people can justify spending that much on something that appears to offer the same functionalities as other free or much cheaper solutions. It offers it in one package, but is that convenience really worth that much premium? I guess they'll find out, but my guess is that many people will unfortunately either pass or wait and hope it shows up in one of the seemingly ubiquitous bundles.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
This seems like another program that isn't that great but for some reason it's on every tech blog.

yet another "perfect little life" campaign in which everything is A+ because of a piece of software

----------

$50 I will not be spending. I have far better programs, at a lot less cost.

I can download half the ipad app store with that kind of money

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Scrapbooking app eh, "ember" in indonesian means bucket. So they got the name right, not so much with the price.

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
yet another "perfect little life" campaign in which everything is A+ because of a piece of software
These are the homes (children, wife) of the Realmac developers because they know how to make business. These people would sell everything at a premium, even money.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Yes, the App Store is deflating prices and people's perception of what software is worth. But I think even before that, $50 (or I guess technically $49.99) would have been a lot for something like this. I was excited when I saw the description. But as much as I and other people want to support Mac developers, I don't think that most people can justify spending that much on something that appears to offer the same functionalities as other free or much cheaper solutions. It offers it in one package, but is that convenience really worth that much premium? I guess they'll find out, but my guess is that many people will unfortunately either pass or wait and hope it shows up in one of the seemingly ubiquitous bundles.

I concur. This kind of software was worth ~$20 in the pre MAS days. With the larger audience they get from being on the MAS, I'm pretty sure $10 is a more reasonable price.

But what do I know - the app could be free and I still wouldn't be in the market to get it. Anyone out there in the market for this kind of app have any specific amounts they'd be willing to pay?

Also, the reason this app is being covered by every Mac blog is because the developer has already had their apps covered before. I feel like as soon as you have one article on a blog, you're basically set - they'll always publish about any crap you put out. Cases in point on MacRumors: Rovio, Firemint, EA, Realmac, Unreal... I'm sure there's others that are slipping my mind right now.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Even at pre-app store prices, $50 is a lot for what this app does. I picked up Coda 2 for $50. No way this thing is worth a Tweetbot, Daisy Disk, Gemini, and Moom combined!

jfx94

macrumors regular
May 22, 2013
where ever I am at.
My mom does a lot of Creative Memories 'scrapbooking' so to me this has different functionality than what I typically associate with that word.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I am sadden by nearly everyone griping about high price. Folks, this app has limited market and it cannot be priced like typical mobile app.

Having said that, the app desperately needs free trial version. The website doesn't offer enough taste for me to plunk down $50.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
RealMac has a trend of charging way too much for what little they offer, but $50 is insane. It makes me really appreciate folks, like the Pixelmator team, who churn out higher quality software at a more reasonable price.

Agreed.... If this app is worth $50 then Pixelmator is worth $200.

Ridiculous pricing for what basically amounts to Pinterest.

Also, their video shows more of the people using in their museum-like homes than it actually shows of the app. No thanks.

----------

I am sadden by nearly everyone griping about high price. Folks, this app has limited market and it cannot be priced like typical mobile app.

Having said that, the app desperately needs free trial version. The website doesn't offer enough taste for me to plunk down $50.

Nor does the demo video offer enough of a glimpse of the app either. They focus more on their actors and their living spaces than the app.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Yes, the App Store is deflating prices and people's perception of what software is worth.

But isn't what an app worth is what people are willing to pay for it? Now that the MAS store is out I'm more conscious about what I'm paying for software. Before 2000, I didn't really have a choice. Once eBay came about I could sell my software for a portion of what I paid for it and recoup some of my costs.

With the MAS store I can't do that. There's also not many demos for apps so I can try them. That makes me want to pay less for the apps than I normally would have a few years ago. On the flip side I'm a lot more willing to buy an app at $9.99 than $39.99.

I haven't looked into this app but for $50 it better be a pretty awesome app.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
My mom does a lot of Creative Memories 'scrapbooking' so to me this has different functionality than what I typically associate with that word.

Yup... When I first saw "scrapbooking", I thought my wife might like this. Then I watched the video and thought "she already has Pinterest".

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I'm sorry but for 50$, I rather play with a trial version first. No apps worth more than 25$ on my list is going to get bought unless I can try it first. It has nothing to do with value or price itself, it has to do with the fact that I don't know it would work for me or not. I don't go to the market and buy fruits without feeling or smelling it first, just like many folks trying shoes before buying them.

LittleSnapper was awesome as a screenshot tool with an organizer but I don't even know what Ember is. Did they improve on that aspect or did they really go too far on making it a scrapbook and not an utility app anymore.

Even 1Password at 50$ was worth it a few years ago and that was after a few months with the trial version (they let you use it for free up to 20 items).

I can't even download Little Snapper anymore from the App store.

I even bought it for $5 from the Mac App Store.

You should be able to download it from the Purchased section only in the Mac App Store. You can always download all of apps you bought in the past, even if the app was taken off.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
I agree with others, $50 is way too much for this. I'm fine with a two step workflow to get images into Evernote, where I can combine the images with any and all other types of data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.