Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is continuing its push to open and expand new Apple Stores and will unveil two new retail locations this Saturday, located at the Markville Shopping Centre in Markham, Ontario, and the Florida Mall in Orlando, Florida.

The Markville Shopping Centre is Markham's biggest shopping mall, with more than 160 stores. The Markham Apple Store will be the 12th location to open up in Ontario, with four of those located in nearby Toronto.

markville.jpg
Apple's new Florida Mall Retail Store, located in Orlando's largest shopping center, is an expansion that will see the mall's Apple Store tripling in size and relocating next door to the Microsoft Store.

The new Apple Store is approximately 8,640 square feet, which is double the size of the Microsoft retail location. Apple first opened a retail store at the Florida Mall in 2005.

At store openings, Apple typically hands out commemorative T-shirts to its first 1,000 customers. Both stores are set to open at 10 a.m. on Saturday, July 27, and have already begun accepting reservations for workshops and Genius Bar appointments.

Article Link: Apple to Open Two New Retail Stores in Ontario and Florida on July 27

guitarman777

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
I've got a couple friends at the Florida Mall temporary location (still pretty much right across from the Microsoft Store), so I've been over there a few times. Even confined to the smaller temporary storefront, on any given day there are at least three to four times as many non-employees in the Apple Store than the Microsoft Store. Guess iMacs are better for checking one's FB status while mall-ratting... :D

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
I'm all for more Apple Stores (as long as they almost never have to be closed), but they gotta create and convey the unique advantage over 3rd party retail.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
I've got a couple friends at the Florida Mall temporary location (still pretty much right across from the Microsoft Store), so I've been over there a few times. Even confined to the smaller temporary storefront, on any given day there are at least three to four times as many non-employees in the Apple Store than the Microsoft Store. Guess iMacs are better for checking one's FB status while mall-ratting... :D

I live about 30 minutes from the FLA mall so I can say this:

The MS store is a much more pleasant atmosphere, the apple store is always hot and smelly from all of the people.

Went to both a couple of months ago before the reno started, only could stay In the apple store for a few minutes it was that bad.

Its was definitely time for an update, the brand new MS store put it to shame.

guitarman777

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
I live about 30 minutes from the FLA mall so I can say this:

The MS store is a much more pleasant atmosphere, the apple store is always hot and smelly from all of the people.

Went to both a couple of months ago before the reno started, only could stay In the apple store for a few minutes it was that bad.

Its was definitely time for an update, the brand new MS store put it to shame.

Excellent point. That's one of the few issues I have with the Apple Stores, had the same thing at the Millenia location. Even with the brand new storefront several months ago that's twice as big as the old one, it's always crowded. Not very compelling...

BTW: hello, fellow central Florida resident! :D

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
I pretty much gave up on going to all three of the Apple stores in Orlando, as they are always so crowded that it isn't worth the hassle. I do all my Apple purchasing online.

I'm hoping the FL mall one will improve, but I'm not holding my breath.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Is there a network of people reporting sightings of new stores coming in, or is there some "coming soon" site to learn about these somewhere?

I doubt that another Apple Store will open near me any time soon, but I don't want to miss it again.

guitarman777

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
Is there a network of people reporting sightings of new stores coming in, or is there some "coming soon" site to learn about these somewhere?

I doubt that another Apple Store will open near me any time soon, but I don't want to miss it again.

I think it's pretty much a matter of seeing it here. MacRumors is quite good about posting about new stores.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
Excellent point. That's one of the few issues I have with the Apple Stores, had the same thing at the Millenia location. Even with the brand new storefront several months ago that's twice as big as the old one, it's always crowded. Not very compelling...

The big reason I think is all of the international tourists we have in this area. People that can't afford the prices of apple prices in their countries.

----------

I found out because the FLA mall store sent me an email today about the reopening on saturday.

wherehaveibeen

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2013

Uhh, there's no temporary location at the Florida Mall. They're just moving.

Evil Wayzz

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
St Petersburg, FL
Why does Orlando need another damn Apple Store? This will be the 3rd location in that area! ... while St. Petersburg, Tallahassee, Jacksonville & Sarasota are all major cities don't have a single store.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
There are so many Apple Stores in Toronto too... I would have expected they put an Apple Store in Vaughan Mills first before Markville Mall.

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2009
WHY are they crowded? Because the stores are used like Mini Theme Parks, full of kids playing with everything/hanging out ect. Have you ever wanted to actually go and evaluate one of the products? You have to wait until little kids have finished, literally line up to look at an iPad or something because there are kids just standing there playing with them. I would be interested to learn Apple's 'bigger picture' reasoning for letting these stores become total zoos crowded with brats who are not buying anything. BTW: They are not tourists, these stores get crowded out with local kids who have nowhere to go so they hang out at the mall, particularly the Apple Store online and playing with all the free toys.

kaldezar

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
London, England

Well your obviously in a minority re compelling because Apple Stores are the most successful retail stores in terms of sales per square foot on the planet....Tiffany comes a distant second!http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/smile.gif

pauliaK

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012
Banff, AB
WHY are they crowded? Because the stores are used like Mini Theme Parks, full of kids playing with everything/hanging out ect. Have you ever wanted to actually go and evaluate one of the products? You have to wait until little kids have finished, literally line up to look at an iPad or something because there are kids just standing there playing with them. I would be interested to learn Apple's 'bigger picture' reasoning for letting these stores become total zoos crowded with brats who are not buying anything. BTW: They are not tourists, these stores get crowded out with local kids who have nowhere to go so they hang out at the mall, particularly the Apple Store online and playing with all the free toys.
Well, their growing their future customers in this way. Like McDnalds with all those slides and birthday parties...

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Go to business school and find out!

Kids can't buy anything but their parents can and parents like to make their kids happy. So when the kid asks for an iPad odds are he or she will find one in their Birthday or Christmas gift pile.

It's the same reason grocery stores have mini shopping carts for kids. Kids dump stuff in the cart -- maybe mom or dad isn't going to buy all the junk in it but guarantee you some of it will be bought and none of it will have been on the shopping list.

MichaelRG

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2011
Florida
Might go to it

Thanks MacRumors for pointing this out! I went to the opening of the Apple Store in Brandon, FL years ago. I might be driving through Orlando on the 27th so I might check it out.

ceriess

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003

How 'bout we just call you MEGAWHINER instead?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.