Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During the question and answer portion of Apple's third quarter earnings call, Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer suggested that Apple will have a "very busy fall," following it up with a statement that he'd like to "leave it there and go into more detail in October."

Apple is expected to unveil a number of products in the fall months, including the next generation iPhone, the fifth generation iPad, the low-cost iPhone, and refreshed MacBook Pros.

apple_product_lineup.jpg

All of the products on the horizon are expected to include impressive new features, including a fingerprint sensor and an upgraded camera for the iPhone 5S, an iPad mini-style redesign for the fifth generation iPad, and Haswell processors for the new MacBook Pros.

The company is also rumored to be working on additional projects such as the iWatch, and according to Tim Cook, Apple's catalyst will always be "new products and new services" in both current product categories and "in new categories."

Apple's iWatch, which has been trademarked in multiple countries, is not expected until 2014 despite the fact that Apple has recently hired a number of new employees to work on the product. "We're working on some stuff that we're really proud of, and we'll announce things when we're ready," said Cook during the call.

Article Link: Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer: Apple to Have 'Very Busy Fall'

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
That's not the interpretation I give Oppenheimer's comment. He was talking about GM and said he wanted to say more about it in October at the next results call. That doesn't necessarily mean that the products are coming in October. It might be September.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I like that Apple has gotten a little bit of its secrecy mojo back. I know this is a rumors site, but I still love it when a keynote hits me with something I wasn't expecting. Hoping that this Fall has some mind-blowing stuff.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
So we're not expecting a Retina MacBook Pro refresh until October???? I thought it could be any day now, if you look at the Buyer's Guide…

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Surely the more detail in October relates to the next financial call rather than products? Sure, products can be launched in October, but, I'm pretty sure that comment related to the next call.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Surely the more detail in October relates to the next financial call rather than products? Sure, products can be launched in October, but, I'm pretty sure that comment related to the next call.

Not really considering they did release their new products in october in 2011.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Lol, obviously. Apple has barely released anything the last 9 months. This cramming stuff in the fall plan is kinda dumb but what do i know right? ;)

Zaqfalcon

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
"Apple's iWatch, which has been trademarked in multiple countries, is not expected until 2014 despite the fact that Apple has recently hired a number of new employees to work on the product."

"despite the fact"? Hiring new employees to work on an iWatch recently, indicates to me that it won't be available for quite some time. These new staff can't make something instantly. Unless the new employees are working in the marketing department, I wouldn't be even entertaining the idea of iWatch being a reality until 2014 at least.

Dark-Sider

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011
A finger print sensor is not impressive. Maybe the tech improved but HP ipaqs had this back in 2003

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
"Apple's iWatch, which has been trademarked in multiple countries, is not expected until 2014 despite the fact that Apple has recently hired a number of new employees to work on the product."

"despite the fact"? Hiring new employees to work on an iWatch recently, indicates to me that it won't be available for quite some time. These new staff can't make something instantly. Unless the new employees are working in the marketing department, I wouldn't be even entertaining the idea of iWatch being a reality until 2014 at least.
Consider the big jump from ipad to ipad 2.

IWatch already designed to test the waters this fall.
But hiring for designers for iWatch2 to really blow the market away.

Disclaimer I don't really believe this is the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Well at least by Peter saying we will talk more about that in October pretty much confirms September release dats at the latest for new iDevices. But nothing really new here. Its always September.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT

He said they will have a very busy fall. What could lead to a busy fall? Obviously the reason that you have a busy fall is because new/updated products come out. Unless he knows about some recovery in the economy that is coming. So, yes he will give more detail in the financial call in October about all the revenue from new products between now and then.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
That's not the interpretation I give Oppenheimer's comment. He was talking about GM and said he wanted to say more about it in October at the next results call. That doesn't necessarily mean that the products are coming in October. It might be September.

Beat me to it. Yes: new products BY October, not IN october necessarily. That's why Cook plans to talk about them in the October conference call.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
October? Damn...was hoping for September releases :( Maybe they give us an updated Retina Macbook Pro as an appetizer in September :D

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Hoping for a retina iPad mini, and genius covers for iPhone. That's right - build the keyboard or gamepad right into the cover like the old Versa, and watch a whole new revolution in mobile games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.