Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I received an iMessage, then did a hard reset of my iPhone without reading the message. Now I have the stuck badge icon reading 1, and no matter what I do, it won't go away. It's not enough to warrant a fresh install, but I do hope updating to beta 4 might make it go away.

Efegokmen

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2013
Same thing happened to me 3 days ago it stuck at 6 and it increased to 8 annoyingly today.
I tried using ibackupbot and deleting message data from my latest backup but I wasnt able to find any sms.db or messages.db file. Maybe you can try this way and if you get any results, do not hesitate to share with all of us.

ArchieBalfour

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
I had this, the problem was to do with iMessage. When I updated to iOS7, it created a new @icloud.com email address for iCloud. iMessage was automatically set to be sent via this path.

Go to:

Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and see what options are checked. I unchecked the @icloud path and iMessages are being sent via my original path once again.

The unread messages badge was still showing so I deleted the text messages I suspected were causing the problem and it worked.

pwpmixer

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
My iOS 7 update took an unusually long time. I probably hit the servers right when the masses overtook. Since yesterday my Messages icon has been stuck with a 1, with all messages read.

I've tried all the above mentioned attempts, deleted all of yesterdays texts, turned off and on the send & receive, etc. etc. Still have the 1.

Really messing with my ocd. Any more thoughts?

Also getting duplicate photos each time I take a new one. That's another thread though...

P

Nikhil1985

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
I am also facing the same issue, message icon always shows unread messages and that too of any single thread. It shows that message in notification centre but when i try to search that in messages i found them in the end, but that thread is not opening and i cannot see those messages. Tried deleting that thread but it than picks some other thread!! I m fed up with this now!

Jennaelissa

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2013
Will pay $100 to whoever has a fix for this without deleting all my message history.

SOLUTION!!!! All you have to do is go to the very top of the conversation of the person you think the message(s) is/are from and delete them! Worked for me perfectly! Hope this helps!

Ebcorporation

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2013
IOS 7 stuck messages badge icon

Clear iOS 7 stuck messages badge icon.. Think I figured it out, however this is the second time I have fixed this. I have no idea how I did it the first time.I have an 4. I noticed yesterday my phone lost a bunch of iMessages and then suddenly the the little 1 appeared, after doing everything but delete all text messages in whole and resetting the entire phone I was pretty frustrated. So I tried deleting all of the texts I received yesterday and YOWZA the 1 went away! Not sure if this will help anyone but I sure am happy to see it go:)

Last edited:

n8henrie

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
My iPad 2 is stuck with 5 messages. Haven't found anything useful in iFunBox, and I'd rather not jailbreak. Tried turning iMessage off and on, tried restarts, tried clearing out the running apps... no luck.

cherohackslife

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2013
Solution that worked for me

Ok, like you guys I tried everything. Restart. Reboot. Close the app. Remove notifications. None of that crap worked.

Finally what I did was remove all the messages that were associated with the person that I believed is when it happened. So I did a search for that contact. I deleted all group messages, individual messages and anything that even mentioned this persons name.

That worked. It cleared out the notification.
Hope that helps!

Deadwalker15

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2013
Ok, like you guys I tried everything. Restart. Reboot. Close the app. Remove notifications. None of that crap worked.

Finally what I did was remove all the messages that were associated with the person that I believed is when it happened. So I did a search for that contact. I deleted all group messages, individual messages and anything that even mentioned this persons name.

That worked. It cleared out the notification.
Hope that helps!

This worked perfectly thanks!

pnoman

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2013
Select a message thread where you can scroll all the way up and select "Load Earlier Messages"

Then scroll up again and delete 2 messages, one that was sent and one that was recieved.

This did it for me...and I had 15 unread messages on my badge prior.

Hope it works for you too!

N.bartolucci

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2014
Select a message thread where you can scroll all the way up and select "Load Earlier Messages"

Then scroll up again and delete 2 messages, one that was sent and one that was recieved.

This did it for me...and I had 15 unread messages on my badge prior.

Hope it works for you too!

This worked for me, but is bothering me the need to delete some text to resolve this issue…i hope that Apple will solve this soon.

Eyesack

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2014
I was recently expiriencing this same issue where my badge app icon for iMessage was 'stuck' at 6 .. I read and tried all the different solutions other than resetting everything and starting from scratch. I did however get this fixed I simply just deleted a few of my more recent conversations, and it seemed to resolve this. I've seen people mention this before and say that it doesn't work. But I currently have an iphone 5 running on iOS 7.0.6 if that's helpful

Kuka18

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2014
I had this, the problem was to do with iMessage. When I updated to iOS7, it created a new @icloud.com email address for iCloud. iMessage was automatically set to be sent via this path.

Go to:

Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and see what options are checked. I unchecked the @icloud path and iMessages are being sent via my original path once again.

The unread messages badge was still showing so I deleted the text messages I suspected were causing the problem and it worked.

This worked for me y'all!!!! Follow exactly what this person highlighted. The only problem is that you have to know what text message you think is the "unread" one. I knew which one is was for me. When I delete the whole thread (it was a text I sent myself and never opened), it didn't disappear right away but if you were to restart or reset your phone afterwards it will work. For me, I just re-texted myself and deleted the text again and it worked!!! Yaaaasssss!!! Thank you so much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.