Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

28Gauge

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
DFW
I currently have a 32GB Wi-Fi AT&T +4G that has worked very well for me since launch. Would it be worth it to upgrade to the iPad 5 (if that is what it will called)? I use my current iPad for fairly heavy web surfing and a decent amount of app usage. I have read various web posts on this forum that stated that the iPad 3 is considered by some to be the bastard child of the iPad family. I don't like to spend money on every latest iteration of some piece of tech, but if the leap in performance is significant enough, then I am interested. Will the new iPad (5) be worth the jump from the iPad 3? By the way, my old iPad 3 would have a good new home. My daughter would love to have it!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I have an iPad 3 too, and I don't need it to perform any better. What are you doing with your iPad that you are looking for a "leap in performance”?

What I do look forward to, however, is the expectation that the iPad 5 will be lighter. That, to me, is worth upgrading for.

And also, knowing Apple, they'd likely come up with some new feature that will be iPad 5 only... :D

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
well wait for it first obviously :p no need to make a decision on a device that no one really knows about yet.

But it seems like personal preference. I would suggest holding out for the 6, because its unlikely the the 5 will get new features that may come in the iPhone 5S (such as the rumored "surprising" new fingerprint scanner).

As for performance, we must wait and see to compare. But I would consider a switch for myself if the iPad 5 looks like the iPad mini.

28Gauge

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
DFW
well wait for it first obviously :p no need to make a decision on a device that no one really knows about yet.

But it seems like personal preference. I would suggest holding out for the 6, because its unlikely the the 5 will get new features that may come in the iPhone 5S (such as the rumored "surprising" new fingerprint scanner).

As for performance, we must wait and see to compare. But I would consider a switch for myself if the iPad 5 looks like the iPad mini.

I considered waiting for the iPad 6, but I will just have to wait and see what the iPad 5 specs will be when it is announced.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It's hard to compare what exists and what doesn't. I say but the iPad 3. Easier to use an iPad that exists.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Don't listen to what people say on this forum. Really quite irrelevant whether it is neglected or not (which it obv is but again irrelevant). If you like what you see with the new one and u dont mind spending the money, by all means get it. If you don't think the money is worth whatever the changes will be then don't get it. I should think an ipad would be good for 2-3 years performance and relevance wise if that helps.

mncmoore

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008
I am debating this as well. I have a wifi only though and am going to get the ipad 5 in 128GB with Verizon. Hopefully it will have smaller bezels and lighter. But I agree, if you don't like it when they announce it then don't waste your money.

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
Like previously stated, it's a personal preference. It seems like many folks like to upgrade for the sake of upgrading. I also have an iPad 3, wifi only though, but it still runs beautifully. It is my first iPad and I highly doubt any new feature of any new iPad would make me upgrade. My concern is the iOS updates. I am pretty confident my iPad will run great with iOS 7. But will iOS 8 support my iPad? When that comes along, it will probably be the deciding factor for me. Assuming you sell your current iPad, is the difference in price between what you paid for it and what you received for it, worth the upgrade?

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Not to sound like Mr. Spock.....

Why not wait for the iPad 5 to materialize and then run price/ performance comparisons and come to a logical conclusion??

Harp77

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2013
Toronto, ONT
Hope you don't mind my 2 cents here:

I have never owned an Ipad or any Apple product, so for me I have nothing to compare it to. BUT, is getting an Ipad 3 a bad move? Would I be disappointed with it, compared to an Ipad 4?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The 3 is a fine device, but if you want to do demanding tasks the 4 is better.

I think a good way to look at it is that if it the iPad will replace a computer you do work on get the 4, but if its just an extra casual device get the 3 because you can't argue with the deals you'll find.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Don't listen to what people say on this forum. Really quite irrelevant whether it is neglected or not (which it obv is but again irrelevant). If you like what you see with the new one and u dont mind spending the money, by all means get it. If you don't think the money is worth whatever the changes will be then don't get it. I should think an ipad would be good for 2-3 years performance and relevance wise if that helps.
What is neglected?
People, at least I am saying that it is hard to compare something we have today versus what we haven't yet seen.
Hope you don't mind my 2 cents here:

I have never owned an Ipad or any Apple product, so for me I have nothing to compare it to. BUT, is getting an Ipad 3 a bad move? Would I be disappointed with it, compared to an Ipad 4?
Not really a bad move but I have found that the jump from the iPad 3 to 4 was actually noticeable. Not enough to make me long for an iPad 4, but still. If you're in the market and want to buy now, the 3 is great. I would recommend to anyone looking to buy, not concerned with the latest and greatest, and not needing it now to wait until the 5 comes out and pick up a 4 for cheaper.

Harp77

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2013
Toronto, ONT
What is neglected?
People, at least I am saying that it is hard to compare something we have today versus what we haven't yet seen.
Not really a bad move but I have found that the jump from the iPad 3 to 4 was actually noticeable. Not enough to make me long for an iPad 4, but still. If you're in the market and want to buy now, the 3 is great. I would recommend to anyone looking to buy, not concerned with the latest and greatest, and not needing it now to wait until the 5 comes out and pick up a 4 for cheaper.

Maybe Apple refurb will not have any more 4's refurb though.....they were up, I battled with the decision and now they are n/a - just 3's. :eek:

Harp77

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2013
Toronto, ONT
I guess I just need patience. I don't need one asap but really makes studying alot easier than a ton of books spread all over my desk, that is for sure.

Might as well wait for the 4's to show on Apple refurb. :rolleyes:

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
I upgraded from the first iPad to the iPad 3 to get retina display and 4G. I think about it as I tend to buy evey other generation I am likely gonna skip unless they do something totally spectacular. The iPad 3 is capable of running any app in the App Store which means it will be good for awhile. It is already pretty much not worth much as they released the 4 so may as well hang on to it. I am tempted by the best buy trade in offer though to move from 3 to 4.

Last edited:

HussamRaed

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
I'm thinking of doing the same thing here, even though my upgrade would actually be from an iPad 2 to the 5 ;) . I think it's totally worth it. My iPad is showing it's age by the day.
I say go for it, the new iPad according to the rumors should have a new design with a lighter form factor.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Price - little strapped for cash and only really have enough for a refurb one from Apple.

...and I just noticed the Ipad 3 refurb 16g has now been removed from Apple's site lol!

Used is usually less expensive, no tax for example, just ave them meet you at an apple store so you can have them check it out. Make sure the water sensors haven't been tripped.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Like previously stated, it's a personal preference. It seems like many folks like to upgrade for the sake of upgrading. I also have an iPad 3, wifi only though, but it still runs beautifully. It is my first iPad and I highly doubt any new feature of any new iPad would make me upgrade. My concern is the iOS updates. I am pretty confident my iPad will run great with iOS 7. But will iOS 8 support my iPad? When that comes along, it will probably be the deciding factor for me. Assuming you sell your current iPad, is the difference in price between what you paid for it and what you received for it, worth the upgrade?

I have the original iPad and I'm starting to get the itch to upgrade it only because it crashes now after upgrading to iOS 5 and now some apps are requiring iOS 6 which I can't upgrade to.

Though I'm going to see how much longer I can hold out for. I like to upgrade my computers every 4-5 years and was hoping to do that with my iPad.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I have a 3 too, and I'm going to wait and see what the updates are before I decide. If its lighter I might upgrade...would really love more ram as well. Until Apple releases it we can't know if it will be worth it.

Thats the one thing about Apple that I hate. They never tell you whats in the works as far as hardware. I really wish they started making announcements on what they are working on even if they don't give a release date.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Since the new iPad hasn't been announced it is impossible to say now whether or not you should upgrade to it. Wait until it is announced and then decide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.