Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matejn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2013
Hello,

I'm seeking for little help here. I'm new to the mac - I have macbook air 2013 + DELL 27' screen connected viac minidp to dp cable, using custom EDID for RGB through dp cable.

I have a trouble with Chrome - on the New tab page I see every thumbnail screenshot in altered colors - it looks like inverted to some point. Exactly the same happens when I try to take a screenshot through Awesome Screenshot plugin.

Screenshot.png

Does anyone had this problem also and know solution?

Thank you, Matej

mattsilv

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Exact same issue

I am having the EXACT same issue in Chrome for OSX Mountain Lion. The problem only started in July 2013. If I use Awesome Screenshot, or a number of other screenshot tools, it inverts the colors of the screenshot.

I have tried 3 different screenshot extensions for Chrome, and every single one inverts colors.

NOTE: These issues do not exist in Firefox for mac, so as a temporary workaround you can install awesome screenshot in Firefox and no color inversion happens.

A few notes about my computer setup in case anyone else has the same configuration:
2013 Macbook Air
Using external monitor

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
Google "browser icc profile" or "browser managed color" or something to that effect.
Essentially Safari & Firefox managed color & Chrome & others ignore color profiles.

kurtschin

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2013
Also having this issue

2013 Macbook Air.

This is not limited to Chrome, I'm also having the issue in Parallels. Print Screen within a Windows VM and the colors are mixed up in the same way (specifically, blues and reds seem mixed up). Image attached of this.

Chrome and Parallels are affected for me. A couple other screen capture tools seem to be working okay.

Attachments

• wat.png
    wat.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 357

ltn318

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
Any solutions?

I'm having the exact same issue - Macbook Air, issue started in July 2013. Has anyone been able to resolve the issue?

Steps already taken:
- created a new user on Chrome, with only the screen capture extension installed (no other extensions)
- deleted Chrome from my laptop and re-installed

Neither worked.

Last edited:

paulfairless

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2013
Hardware Acceleration

Hi,

I have this same issue on a new 2013 macbook air. Seems if I switch off "Use hardware acceleration when available" in advanced chrome settings the issue goes away. Can anybody else confirm this?

Hoping this is specific to chrome and not a general hardware issue - any other apps using graphics hardware acceleration?

kurtschin

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2013
Confirmed

I can confirm that turning off hardware acceleration in Chrome fixes the issue for me.

This is definitely a software issue - but interesting we're all MacBook Air users.

As I mentioned previously, screenshots made within a Windows virtual machine running in Parallels also had messed up colors. Parallels fixed the issue in the latest release and mentioned it in the release notes: http://kb.parallels.com/en/115067

So this definitely looks like a software issue Chrome is responsible for patching, whatever the root cause may be.

chromeissues

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
Still not working for me

I also have a MacBook Air 13 and am having this same issue. :mad:

Unfortunately, turning off the hardware accelerator did not remedy this bug. Any other ideas?

mrbrdo

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2013
I have this issue also. Blue color seems to be yellowish brown in the thumbnails. Macbook Air 13" 2013 (Haswell), the more expensive version and 8GB RAM.

I have a more serious issue too. I actually stumbled upon this thread here: https://discussions.apple.com/message/22633153#22633153

If I leave my Air closed for a long time, when I open it nothing happens. Then I need to hold the power button for at least a few seconds, and possibly press it again (this just started happening to me yesterday so I don't know exactly yet). My Air then starts up. The first time it started up normally (almost certain but not 100%), the second time I got that your computer shut down because of a problem message (logs say Previous Shutdown Cause: 3). Happened the second time today, the first time yesterday I didn't think too much of it. Not sure what else to look for to shed more light on this.

A few days ago, before this issue, I was having graphical glitches (artefacts, small squares/pixels, but resembling what was on the screen) every time I opened the macbook (even if it was just closed for a few seconds), but after about 1 second it went to normal. After a few days I decided to restart the macbook (I don't usually), and that stopped happening. But not long after that (max a few days) I started getting the current issue.

Is there any way I can confirm/explain my problems? It sounds like it could be a graphics issue. I also wonder if everyone on the new Air is experiencing this Chrome color thing or just some people?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.