Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At a press conference today in San Francisco, Google announced its second generation Nexus 7, which comes with a number of enhancements. The tablet, which is thinner and lighter than the previous version, has an improved screen with a resolution of 1,920 x 1,200 and a pixel density of 323 PPI.

It is equipped with a Qualcomm 1.5GHz quad-core S4 Pro, 2GB of RAM, a 9 hour battery life, and it comes with NFC and Bluetooth 4.0. The iPad mini, released in late 2012, sports less impressive internals in comparison as it has yet to be updated, including a dual-core A5 processor and 512MB of RAM, along with a screen that is 1024 x 768.

newnexus7.jpg
Google has not focused much effort on the camera of the Nexus 7, which is in line with the iPad mini's 1.2-megapixel front camera and 5-megapixel back camera. The Nexus 7 is also slightly heavier than the mini, with a smaller screen and a smaller profile.

In addition to releasing an updated Nexus 7, Google is also aiming at Apple services on several other fronts, taking on both Game Center and AirPlay.

The company has launched its Google Play Games app, which is designed to be the Android version of Apple's Game Center. It works hand in hand with Google Play games services, a feature that lets developers build cloud saving, multiplayer gameplay, and achievements into apps.

Chromecast, another feature Google introduced today, is an HDMI accessory that functions similarly to AirPlay, allowing users to mirror content from a tablet, smartphone, or computer. Chromecast works with video, music, and apps like Netflix, and can be used with a number of devices, including iPhones and iPads. Chromecast, which will retail for $35, will be available later today through Best Buy, Amazon, and the Google Play Store.

chromecast.jpg
While Google's Nexus 7 will be available on July 30 with a $230 price tag, there appears to be no iPad mini upgrade on the horizon. Apple has plans to release a redesigned fifth generation iPad with a thinner design and smaller bezels, but it remains unclear when the company will offer a new iPad mini. A recent report from reliable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo suggested that the company might not release an updated mini until March or April of 2014.

Article Link: Google Takes Aim at Apple with New Nexus 7, Google Play Games and Chromecast

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
SMH and its ALREADY sold out! Good lawd! $35 is a steal!

Edit: Its available again!

Ordering me one now!

Last edited:

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
Chromecast finally brings something to compete with AirPlay. Been wondering why no one has implemented anything competitive to that feature so far.

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
Chromecast is what I've wanted for years.

1 simple cheap HDMI plugin that allows any platform to stream to your TV's.

As more apps upgrade to support this it will change the living room as we know it today on any platform.

scottishwildcat

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
Wow, that's a thick bezel.
It's actually thinner than the current Nexus 7, from what I've heard. Personally, I like to be able to hold this sort of thing without getting my fingers on the screen, so doesn't bother me.

Have to say, they could be onto a winner with the Chromecast -- as somebody who uses their Android phone a lot more than their iPad, I'll certainly be picking one up as soon as I can.

ridwan47

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2013
I'm seriously digging the Chromecast !
Cross-platform, also just $35.
comes with 3-month free Netfilx
:cool:

BryanLyle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
The chromecast seems interesting until you read that it also comes with a usb cable and power adapter. So, you plug this into the HDMI port and then out of that you have a cable and a power adapter.

Won't look as sleek as the promo shots with a cord dangling out of it.

Edit: Looks like you can either plug it into the power adapter or a USB port on your TV if you have one.

Last edited:

5aga

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2003
Gig City
been pondering the purchase of an apple tv.

Looks like I'll be going with chromecast instead - cheaper and crossplatform

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
3 months of Netflix included with the Chromecast? That alone makes it a ridiculously nice deal. (Unless the * means there are some ridiculous terms)

dantheman5398

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2013
New Nexus 7, here I come. July 30th cannot come soon enough, does anyone know where I can preorder a 32gb wifi model?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The chromecast seems interesting until you read that it also comes with a usb cable and power adapter. So, you plug this into the HDMI port and then out of that you have a cable and a power adapter.

Won't look as sleek as the promo shots with a cord dangling out of it.

True - but all my wires are behind my tv and inside the wall

I'm holding off getting one though. At current - I love that my video library can play through Apple TV. So there's little reason to get this device as most of the content I want to play is on my hard drive.

That being said - I loved that this device has cross integration and can also control the TV (it can actually power on, switch to the right source and begin playing).

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Chromecast is a useful device - but it's oONLY a Streamer. Can't do anything else at all.

Doesn't do local Streaming - only works by sending the link you are looking at in uTube / netflix whatever to the streamer. Though if you can hook it into plex for the web then it's a great device for the money.

Doesn't do Mirroring.

Can't play games etc.

The nexus is a nice cheap tablet... but that's what it is even at 1.9mm thinner its a beast compared to the current mac mini

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
More competition and impressive specs .. But I think I'll stick with my mini... The chromecast however is hella nice .. Something that always bugs me about nexus devices (I own a nexus 4 ) is that you get the feeling Google is always aiming to compete with a device rather than focusing on great user experience .. Heck my nexus 4 only lasts 2-3 hours of heavy use.. But I maintain that everyone should have an android in their arsenal just for kicks and iOS and macs for daily drivers

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Nice, I look forward to Apple's next iPad Mini, with nicer software, lesser specs, and higher cost.

iPad has so many hardware features to add yet, that for no real innovations in this many generations, really makes it feel like Apple is coasting.

Apple doesn't do well as a coasting company.

tkatz

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Chromecast

Chromecast looks nice, I'll probably get one. I don't see it as a replacement for my ATV's though. While it seems to have the airplay aspect covered (which I use quite often, as well as friends that come over), it's still nice being able to use my harmony remote with the ATV and watch tv shows / movies / etc.. directly from the device without needing a phone / tablet / laptop to control it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.