Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Why does it show updated apps still for so long in the updated list in new iOS7 updates? And there's no "clear" option?

I find it confusing to see so many updated apps just slightly underneath the available updates without those already updated ever disappearing from list.

Any idea?

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL
Why does it show updated apps still for so long in the updated list in new iOS7 updates? And there's no "clear" option?

I find it confusing to see so many updated apps just slightly underneath the available updates without those already updated ever disappearing from list.

Any idea?

Its because in iOS 7 there is automatic app updates so when an app is updated automatically and you wanna see the change log you just go the the "Updates" tab in the app store to see the changes.

If you ask me its awesome that it keeps a list for you now, but I can totally see why some people wouldn't want that. So hopefully apple allows you to swipe to delete at least or a clear all button.

----------

Yep it is :)

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
If you have automatic updates turned off then I think you are right and it should clear them, but if you have it turned on I can't see that it hurts anything having them there since you should spend roughly no time at all on the update tab.

DarkJaye

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
It's also organized by date so it's pretty clear which ones have been recently updated.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
It's a nice feature when you have "auto updates" on I agree but it still should give you an option to clear the list.

I turned off auto updates and yet the list is getting bigger and bigger and updated apps from last week still on there.

Hopefully Apple gives a "clear list" option by/ in final release.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
I don't mind the list of updates, but I've noticed that sometimes it messes up the dates. For example, I'll install an update and then in the list it will say that it was installed yesterday.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah, it would definitely be good (and wouldn't hurt anything) to either have that list behind a link (essentially how purchases are set up to appear on that updates screen where you have to tap on it to get to the list) and/or a way to clear those recent updates.

Bunching them together with actual available updates sort of mixes the main and historic use of the page, which is to show any available updates (and usually stay blank, short of some links) when there are no updates.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
I've never been a fan of automatic updates, as convenient as they may be. For one thing, in my past experience, they interfere with current ops at best. Also, you have no idea what's being changes on your apps. Without that heads up, you could find yourself out of the loop with an app you use all the time.

I always read the changes before downloading. Sometimes, on minor apps, I'll delete the app rather than allow whatever changes are being planned.

I, too, think the final iOS7 should at least have the option to clear or delete. I'm really glad there IS at least the option to auto-download or not.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
I've never been a fan of automatic updates, as convenient as they may be. For one thing, in my past experience, they interfere with current ops at best. Also, you have no idea what's being changes on your apps. Without that heads up, you could find yourself out of the loop with an app you use all the time.

I always read the changes before downloading. Sometimes, on minor apps, I'll delete the app rather than allow whatever changes are being planned.

I, too, think the final iOS7 should at least have the option to clear or delete. I'm really glad there IS at least the option to auto-download or not.

Not only that but for apps that wont download/update over cellular data i had problems were it got stuck waiting for wifi to update the app.

5t3f4n

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
It's also organized by date so it's pretty clear which ones have been recently updated.

It is true that they are organized by date, but unfortunately not by time.
If I already had a couple updates this morning, I may miss an update that came later because it goes under the previously updated ones for some reason. Is this a bug or is it supposed to be random? I can't see why.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Update Logs should stay!

Nothing confusing when 1 app says "Open" and the other says "Update" :rolleyes:
Yiu just have to look through it all to find it rather than simply know that updates only shows available updates, like every other updates screen in very other app store and like this one was doing for years. Want to have a list of recently updated apps? Sure, great, but don't just shove them in along with available updates and without a way to clear them if desired. That's the point.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Also, have you noticed that once you tap the downloaded app in the Update list and get the details, there's no way to close it back to a short listing without closing the App Store and returning. :rolleyes:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Also, have you noticed that once you tap the downloaded app in the Update list and get the details, there's no way to close it back to a short listing without closing the App Store and returning. :rolleyes:
Yeah, there's that too. An extra annoyance.

iRetired

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2012
WNY
Auto-update haters can thank Sen John McCain for wanting that feature when talking with Tim Cook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.