Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marksatt

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
This port sucks.

My rMBP results for windows and mac version:

- Mac: 1280x800, Low details, AA disabled, low shadows, Vsync disabled: 20-30 fps.

- Windows: 1980x1080, High Details, 16x anisotropic, High shadows, Phsysx enabled, Vsync enabled: 40-60 fps.

Sucks is a strong word. Read eddeduck's posts - this game relies on driving the GPU in every way GL doesn't want you too. Falling off the fast path under GL is bad - under Apple's it is near fatal.

Using an MBP/2012/2.6GHz/8GB/NV650M/1GB
Benchmark Mode: 1280x800, No vsync, 1x aniso, AA off, AO off, low geometry, low shadows
Under Wine 1.6: ~17 fps
Native Mac OS: ~30 fps

Using an iMac/2009/2.8GHz/8GB/AMD4850/512MB
Benchmark Mode: 1920x1080, No vsync, 1x aniso, AA off, AO on, High geometry, High shadows
Wine: ~20fps
Native: ~23fps

Just for comparison with the PC version you posted I also tried:
Benchmark Mode: 1440x900, No vsync, 16x aniso, AA off, AO on, high geometry, high shadows
Native Mac OS: ~22 fps

Benchmark Mode: 1280x800, No vsync, 1x aniso, AA off, AO on, high geometry, high shadows
Native Mac OS: ~28 fps

Wine's performance appears to have gone backwards while native Mafia 2 is much better post-10.8.3 on the NV650M.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
So where is the patch? I love this game been watching this thread for years and decided finally to mention that theres somebody else still waiting

Basically Mark Satt's post covers the reasons, we have spent a few months on this post release but as explained we could not get any major improvements on the performance due to how the engine works etc so we didn't release an update.

Perhaps with OpenGL 4 we can get some more performance but given this is an older game and we have already spendt a lot of time without any major improvements it would be a folly to promise anything given the difficulties this engine has on OS X.

mediaman0610

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2014
I played Mafia II a few years ago when it first came out on the 360. My experience was pretty positive. Game play was alright, story was decent enough, graphics were pretty nice too.

It took me about four days of light play to beat the story though. And after I beat it once there wasn't a lot of point in replaying it so this has to be my major negative point, lack of replay interest.

Its worth playing but for a game with little replay value I'd say spend your money on something else. But if you play it you probably won't be disappointed.

Mattww

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
Although I finished the main game ages ago I keep meaning to go back and complete the DLC.

I found the game was pretty enjoyable and not quite as insanely difficult as the original Mafia which I played some of in a wrapper (never came to OS X).

I have a Mac Pro with a reasonable GPU so I usually just turn everything up and then try lowering the odd setting if performance isn't good enough.

The weird thing with Mafia 2 is the benchmark always gives me poor results even if I drop the settings down so I just leave them all turned on as performance in the game seems fine - the only time it appears to slow down is driving through tunnels with the lights on the walls.

The game was also stable and pretty much bug free for me - the only trouble is it is one of a few Feral ports that insist on being installed in a directory called Applications (otherwise you can't save).

insane79

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
The weird thing with Mafia 2 is the benchmark always gives me poor results even if I drop the settings down so I just leave them all turned on as performance in the game seems fine - the only time it appears to slow down is driving through tunnels with the lights on the walls.

Yes, i have been playing this game a lot lately & must say the benchmark feature is wrong, i got all the settings on High & the game runs sweet on my late 2012 iMac which only has the gtx660m, well i was wrong about this port, Feral good job boys :D will edit my earlier post.

cryingrobot

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
I played this game ages ago as well. Its like GTA set in the 40s and 50s but not quite as polished as the GTA series. Gameplay and graphics are just OK but the game really focuses on telling you its main story so you feel a bit like a spectator along for the ride. Its not really open world and the cars/music/locations/side missions are kind of a second thought. Graphics are Ok (but dated). Since you are basically watching this game tell a story (which is pretty good), the first play through is very enjoyable in the way a good movie is, but not much replay value.

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)
I enjoyed it. When it first came out I tried it on windows and never bothered with it more than 20 mins. Then later it comes out on Macs and I try it again and its one of the most fun games I've played. Was well into it and would play it again :D I have since got a PS3 and might try to see if it works with dual shock 3 controllers

I must prefer it to GTA since I have never finished a GTA game lol. I do have GTA5 its cool

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)
The game supports PS3 pads.

Is there any way to get the triggers to work as analog axis? It seems to have either on/off effect so theres no low throttle ability for driving slow? Thanks

I am playing the game on 10.10 DP5 and I have to go into the app folder and use the mafia ii exec from there which opens in terminal otherwise the game bounces a few times in the dock and won't even load the preferences before the game starts. Seems to be an issue about it asking to use contacts

Last edited:

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Is there any way to get the triggers to work as analog axis? It seems to have either on/off effect so theres no low throttle ability for driving slow? Thanks

I am playing the game on 10.10 DP5 and I have to go into the app folder and use the mafia ii exec from there which opens in terminal otherwise the game bounces a few times in the dock and won't even load the preferences before the game starts. Seems to be an issue about it asking to use contacts

The PS3 is digital only, you might be able contact support and we can try an analogue plugin file but that was added after Mafia 2 shipped so analogue triggers might not be supported.

As for DP5 I would log the issues you are seeing with Apple using your Developer account as the bouncing but not loading (given it is fine in all previous OSs) is an Apple bug. We also don't see that issue here which points to it being related to your hardware so it's doubly important to get it logged with Apple.

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)
The PS3 is digital only, you might be able contact support and we can try an analogue plugin file but that was added after Mafia 2 shipped so analogue triggers might not be supported.

As for DP5 I would log the issues you are seeing with Apple using your Developer account as the bouncing but not loading (given it is fine in all previous OSs) is an Apple bug. We also don't see that issue here which points to it being related to your hardware so it's doubly important to get it logged with Apple.

I tried it on my MBP as well and it has the same issue. It did work on 10.9 and earlier though.

shaady

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2014
Where is the save game...

Shure thing mafia on mac its amazing!! but, I've got this weird issue... i played it a 100% but when the end title screen has gone, and i press continue the story the last mission starts over.... normally on that other os, you'll start in the save house

1q2w3e4r5t

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2018
Your Mac will be fine :) We do have a patch planned to bump up the performance on all machines even more but on your machine it should be smooth on high settings already.

I work for Feral as my sig shows but I have played the game to completion on a similar iMac to the one in your signature on high settings.

Edwin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.