Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As Apple's Developer Center outage continues into its seventh day of downtime, Apple has once again updated the site with a newly updated message for developers that outlines how the company plans to restore functionality and provides a status page that reveals which systems are online.

devcenterstatuspage.jpg
We plan to roll out our updated systems, starting with Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles, Apple Developer Forums, Bug Reporter, pre-release developer libraries, and videos first. Next, we will restore software downloads, so that the latest betas of iOS 7, Xcode 5, and OS X Mavericks will once again be available to program members. We'll then bring the remaining systems online. To keep you up to date on our progress, we've created a status page to display the availability of our systems.
At the current point in time, iTunes Connect is the only service that is listed as online, but Apple says that it plans to work on Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles immediately, following that with the developer forums, bug reporting tools, and software libraries. Software downloads, including the latest betas of iOS 7, Xcode 5, and OS X Mavericks will follow.

Apple's Developer Center first went offline last Thursday, and on Sunday, Apple revealed that it had been taken down as a precaution after a security breach. It is unclear who was responsible for the hacking, but a security researcher has suggested that he might be to blame for the outage.

Apple says that it has been "working around the clock" on a complete overhaul of its developer systems since the Developer Center was taken down. Apple has noted that developer memberships and apps set to expire during the outage will be given an extension to account for the significant downtime.

Article Link: Apple Outlines Plan for Bringing Developer Center Back Online

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Bug Reporter never went offline and is up currently. Does this mean they're releasing a new one?

EDIT: guess not; it's now showing green. Must've just had the wrong status initially. :\

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Wow, either Apple is really cautious or that was one significant breach!

Apple knows they are one of the highest value hacking targets out there. I wouldn't be surprised if they already had a security breach game plan set for something like this and they are executing it as previously established.

This is very similar to how military and intelligence communities react on breaches. That is they don't make many strategic decisions during recovery from a compromise. You just follow established plans and perform practiced procedures.

While this may seem very anal and un-Apple like, many companies of this size have security policies separate from their core corporate culture. Thus such plans are not widely know except to executives and security personnel so these exact response plans are not widely known nor predicted.

TimWillz

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Good!

Thats good, I'd rather see Apple do it properly and cautiously rather than rush it back up. They're being really clear with developers which I think is a good thing.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Gotta love the all-powerful "wildcard" certificate I made before this. I don't even understand the point of these certificates for testing iOS software.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
The fact that I have to bookmark this status page indicates how pessimistic I am. I've been working around it for the last week, doing other things where I can, but it's really beginning to be a problem. That said, it's nice to hear something.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
In this case they have to be. There's a big audience watching their every move.

What does "audience" have to do with it? Are you saying that Apple does security to please an audience? Quite a perverted view of security.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
I hope this means we might get the next ios 7 beta soon. I'm not sure how this affects over the air updates but we haven't seen an ios update all week. The mavericks update went out via the App Store without any problems despite the outage so I wonder why the ios update can't go out over the air...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I hope this means we might get the next ios 7 beta soon. I'm not sure how this affects over the air updates but we haven't seen an ios update all week. The mavericks update went out via the App Store without any problems despite the outage so I wonder why the ios update can't go out over the air...
It's possible that an iOS 7 beta update wasn't even planned for this week anyway.

AriX

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2007
Gotta love the all-powerful "wildcard" certificate I made before this. I don't even understand the point of these certificates for testing iOS software.
Wildcard profiles don't cover some entitlements; for example, you can't develop apps using iCloud or push notifications with a wildcard app ID.

And your wildcard profile won't help if you want to provision your app for a new device... this is the most frustrating thing about the developer center being down.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I bet they had new versions of those things already in the works, and this made them realize it was easier to finish up the new stuff (even in an unexpected rush) than to waste time trying to slap duct tape on the old systems.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US

Well, the problem is, to do any developing with it, you also need the new Xcode update and iOS SDK update to go along with it, and for those you have to access the download through the dev center.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
I think apple said:

"We plan to roll out our updated systems, starting with Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles, Apple Developer Forums, Bug Reporter, pre-release developer libraries, and videos first. Next, we will restore software downloads, so that the latest betas of iOS 7, Xcode 5, and OS X Mavericks will once again be available to program members"

I thought that meant there was a new beta but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.