Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
I'm curious, who here is excited about the upcoming cross-platform Shadowrun game? It comes out July 25th! And will you be getting it for Mac or Windows, or some other system (and why did you make that choice)? Also any comments from those who've played the alpha / beta are welcome!

I loved the old school SNES game, and I'm quite excited that the new game will be released on OSX, in less than a month! :)

Last edited:

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
I'm pretty excited about it! I picked it up on Steam and will run it under OSX as long as it works well.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I'm hoping the Mac version will be "decent" because it was developed simultaneously with the Windows version, rather than being some 2-years-later crappy Cider Mac port.

Yes, the game caught my interest. But in the end, I never never NEVER buy version 1.0 games any more. Used to do open betas in years past, and I soured on the experience of playing rushed-to-release games.

I shall wait for:

#1) Positive reviews (of the gameplay itself)

#2) The release of version 1.02 (that's the second cycle of updates to squash the bugs)

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I'm hoping the Mac version will be "decent" because it was developed simultaneously with the Windows version, rather than being some 2-years-later crappy Cider Mac port.

Yes, the game caught my interest. But in the end, I never never NEVER buy version 1.0 games any more. Used to do open betas in years past, and I soured on the experience of playing rushed-to-release games.

I shall wait for:

#1) Positive reviews (of the gameplay itself)

#2) The release of version 1.02 (that's the second cycle of updates to squash the bugs)

The Pre-Order was $15 (if you did not back on KickStarter)... For $15 it's a no brainer/day 1 purchase. Bugs are going to exist, period. This is a small studio working on a limited budget. As for reviews, I don't trust them, especially for a game like this. I fear some reviews will forget that it was a $15 purchase and set the expectation too high or compare it to a $60 AAA release.

TheGreatWumpus

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Vermont
I'm not a fan of the original Shadowrun or anything, but I'm a huge RPG fan and liked the look of this game. I didn't kickstart it, but do intend to play it upon release. I will probably end up reviewing it, but no worries, it would be fair ;)

bhags8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Is this the same Shadowrun that was on Xbox? I'm getting my first mac in 3 days(MBA 13"/8/256). Is it going to be all multiplayer and will my MBA run the game?

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I'm still undecided if I should get the MMORPG Shadowrun game or the single-player game. I kinda like the idea of both, but since I'm really not a big fan of the Shadowrun meme**, I likely will only end up buying one of the 2 games. I will either really really like it, or will absolutely be disappointed.

** I'm a fan of either hard-core ultra-math-nerd SciFi (e.g. Traveller) or high fantasy (e.g. AD&D, Tolkien, LOTR). Never been a fan of games that mixed up Orcs and Elves with plasma rifles (e.g. Warhammer, Shadowrun and similar games that try to do this)

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Is this the same Shadowrun that was on Xbox? I'm getting my first mac in 3 days(MBA 13"/8/256). Is it going to be all multiplayer and will my MBA run the game?

No, it's completely different, it's a turn-based isometric tactical RPG. It's singleplayer and yes your Mac will easily run it.

Edit: if you mean the same universe as the Xbox game, then yes. Though that game wasnt made by the original creator like this one.

TheGreatWumpus

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Vermont
I'm definitely interested in this. I have never been a previous fan or really heard anything about the game until the kickstarter happened. But I'm a big RPG fan so looking forward to this.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
I've readied my old Shadowrun Second Edition Rulebook for the release.

Ah, the good old pen&paper days.:)

Confusius

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
New York
I'm curious, who here is excited about the upcoming cross-platform Shadowrun game? It comes out July 25th! And will you be getting it for Mac or Windows, or some other system (and why did you make that choice)? Also any comments from those who've played the alpha / beta are welcome!

I loved the old school SNES game, and I'm quite excited that the new game will be released on OSX, in less than a month! :)

I'm a big fan of Fallout, XCOM and Deus Ex, but not into fantasy at all. Still very much intrigued by this and on the fence as to whether I should still take advantage of the preorder 10% off or wait for the next Steam sale (which will be upon us at Thanksgiving, I think).

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
I bought the whatever version that was available before April 30 (I somehow missed the Kickstarter drive, which I would have backed in an instant).

It sounds like there were issues with getting the original Kickstarter backers DRM-free games, as Microsoft was demanding DRM (& the are the owner of the rights).

I'm looking forward to this, it was "only" 20 years ago *this* month I picked up the SNES version, and got totally sucked in. The turn-based combat & Sci-Fi theme makes this a kick-ass RPG.

Renzatic

Suspended
I'm looking forward to this, it was "only" 20 years ago *this* month I picked up the SNES version, and got totally sucked in. The turn-based combat & Sci-Fi theme makes this a kick-ass RPG.

Lucky bastard, you actually had your own copy. :p

I could never find it in any of the game stores back then, and the only way I could play it was by getting my mom and dad to drive me 5 miles to this one Blockbuster that had it on the shelves. I rented it every chance I got for about a year, and never did finish it. At least not until I got my first computer when I was 18 and discovered emulators.

I'll be picking this one up the moment it arrives on Steam.

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I just bought the pre-order this morning, with 6 hours to go until the game is released.

I loved this game on the SNES, even though I didn't finish it. I got stuck and couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do with the octopus on the shipping dock. I collected the ink in the bottle, but had no idea what to do after that. :(

Renzatic

Suspended
Couple of reviews:

RockPaperShotgun's Wot I Think. Taken from the perspective of someone who got into the series with the SNES original, like I did.

Good news: It's awesome in just about every way. As he says, it was "exactly what he was expecting".

Bad News: It's kinda short at 12-15 hours.

Silver Lining: The editor is all around excellent, and already has a solid community springing up around it, and doing awesome things with it. With future expansions and community contributions soon to be a fairly regular thing, a slightly short initial campaign is only a problem in the short term.

Eurogamers Review

Pretty much backs up everything RPS said above. Final score: 8 out 10.

It's out in 3 hours, folks! Can't wait! :D

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Couple of reviews:

RockPaperShotgun's Wot I Think. Taken from the perspective of someone who got into the series with the SNES original, like I did.

Good news: It's awesome in just about every way. As he says, it was "exactly what he was expecting".

Bad News: It's kinda short at 12-15 hours.

Silver Lining: The editor is all around excellent, and already has a solid community springing up around it, and doing awesome things with it. With future expansions and community contributions soon to be a fairly regular thing, a slightly short initial campaign is only a problem in the short term.

Eurogamers Review

Pretty much backs up everything RPS said above. Final score: 8 out 10.

It's out in 3 hours, folks! Can't wait! :D

Yeah, all the reviews I have read (mostly ones that were mostly spoiler free) have been good. The "short" campaign does not bother me since it was only a $15 pre-order and the UGC stuff. Since the editor has been out for awhile there are already some UGC missions available and some of them seem pretty good.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004

It's made with Unity, so it's fully Mac-native, not really a port as such, and the Mac/Windows/Linux versions should be essentially identical.

--Eric

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
It's made with Unity, so it's fully Mac-native, not really a port as such, and the Mac/Windows/Linux versions should be essentially identical.

--Eric

So we can't call it a port. What to call it when Win/Mac/Linux game is developed simultaneously? Parallel development? Paradev? Nah that sounds too boring. :D

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Lucky bastard, you actually had your own copy. :p

Yes, I was! (a lucky you-know-what). :D

The cool thing about the emulators & Shadowrun...you can listen to the fantastic music that was on the SNES cart. I bought the Genesis version as well, but it didn't quite match up to the SNES version.

That reminds me, I should be downloading it now!

Renzatic

Suspended
Yeah, all the reviews I have read (mostly ones that were mostly spoiler free) have been good. The "short" campaign does not bother me since it was only a $15 pre-order and the UGC stuff. Since the editor has been out for awhile there are already some UGC missions available and some of them seem pretty good.

The length doesn't bother me at all. A good 12 hours is enough time to tell an interesting story.

...what does bother me is the forced linearity of what I've seen so far. One of the cool things about the SNES Shadowrun is that it made you figure everything out. You had to talk to people, gather evidence and information, explore to see what you could find. It was a fairly open ended game that didn't hold your hand at all. This? It's like you're jumping from one big scene to the next with very little in between.

I'm kinda torn about it. On one hand, they nailed the look, the feel, the atmosphere, and the setting. The writing is pretty dang good, and the story is really interesting from what I've seen so far. Yeah, it's a little cliche, but it's done well. On the other hand, that whole feeling that you're being forced between scenes rather than being able to explore and take in all that ambiance the devs did such a good job on is letting the rest down in a big bad way.

Really, I think it's suffering from Neverwinter Nights syndrome. It's a community platform first and foremost, a place for people to make their own stories and share them out on the internet. The campaign is there mostly to show off the capabilities of the engine and editor. They did a great job with it, all things considered, but...

...it's not the Shadowrun I was hoping for.

It's not all doom and gloom and tears, though. Just like NWN 1 & 2, the expansions will probably be beyond awesome, and the community efforts will likely produce some awesome efforts. I'm planning on playing with it myself after I beat it. Still, I wish it was a better game right out the gate.

Confusius

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
New York
Off to a bad start here. I get to the initial loading screen, which says "caching required assets" and then I get the spinning beach ball and the game stops responding. Five times in a row, reboot doesn't help. Re-downloading from Steam now.

Update: re-downloading didn't help. The game still freezes on the first screen. Here's hoping Harebrained has a support service.

Update 2: here's the solution: http://steamcommunity.com/app/234650/discussions/0/864974396599176418/

It works now

Last edited:

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
It's fine for me so far, but I've had rare issues with games running through Steam. However, even if you buy a game through Steam, you can run most Mac games without it:

1) Go to ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Shadowrun Returns.
2) Click once on the game icon, and make an alias.
3) Drag the alias to wherever you normally keep games.
4) Use the alias to launch. No Steam required!

This works with all Mac games I've bought on Steam that aren't first-party Valve titles such as Half-Life, Portal, etc. You could theoretically skip the part about making an alias and drag the game itself to wherever, but that would break updates. You still need to launch Steam (and the game has to be in the appropriate Steam folder) if you want to get updates.

--Eric

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.