Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Algoriddim has launched a sequel to their popular djay iOS app. Djay was originally a Mac application, but has since found wide popularity on the iPhone and iPad. The iOS version has won a 2011 Apple Design Award and has seen millions of downloads.

djay2-iphone-800x450.jpg
The new version offers a revamped user interface, drum machine, sampler, and improved scratching/syncing tools and more.

Most notable are features related to offering users direct visual feedback of music. Songs are now actually mapped to "virtual grooves" which reflect the peaks and valleys just like on traditional vinyl. The music waveform is now colored, mapping specific colors to similar sounds, allowing you to visually identify song sections and instruments.

drums.jpg
Retaining the simplicity of the traditional DJ turntable look-and-feel, djay 2 adds a stunning new waveform layer, which allows users to touch and interact with their music at an unprecedented level of detail and clarity. HD Waveforms provide users with precise visual cues that highlight similar sounds with similar colors, leveraging the full resolution of the Retina display on iPad and iPhone.
Djay 2 is available in the App Store now with discounted launch pricing of $4.99 for iPad and $0.99 for iPhone. Direct Links: iPad, $4.99, iPhone, $0.99

Article Link: Algoriddim Launches Djay 2 for iPhone and iPad

PhamQu

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2013
FL, USA
I've never used this kind of application, but it does seem extremely limited if used on an iPhone due to the lack of screen real estate. Correct me if I'm wrong.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I heard the loud music and realized how cool the product must be. Kudos, Algoriddim marketing team!

serifstelar

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012
Do they really think that people will pay for every update? I won't. That's not how AppStore works.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
I've never used this kind of application, but it does seem extremely limited if used on an iPhone due to the lack of screen real estate. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yup that's why the iphone version is only one dollar.

cosmic68

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Original a great app with a fatal flaw-cant mix out in stereo. Your mixes record mono-sound crap. This just seems like eye candy. Shame they can't work out a stereo output solution. I guess it's down to hardware limitation.

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
Do they really think that people will pay for every update? I won't. That's not how AppStore works.

They haven't had to pay for every update - there have been plenty of free updates to version 1, but this is a new version and devs have to eat too. So they can't make updates free forever.

It's a pittance to upgrade to these new versions. The reason the app store has such high quality apps is because devs get paid for their continued work and commitment to the platform.

Amadeus71

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2013
That's all? Really?

For a paid upgrade (counting the introduction price as 'upgrade' seems reasonable), I don't think this offers that much over the old version. A little bit of extra colour and a few beats don't quite justify new money, in my view.

I feel being double-dipped.

carl0sian

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011
i have itunes Match and it doesn't work well with that. Fix that, and I'll consider buying it. I was not too impressed with Djay 1.0

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC

They have bills to pay and food to put on the table too, you know. It never ceases to amaze me that we live in an age where paying a few dollars for software upsets so many people.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Shouldn't this article go in the iOS blog section? Doesn't seem like a rumor about anything Apple related.

gluckett

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
It is an upgrade price - it's discounted by 50%. It's $4.99 and $0.99. That's a really good price for a new version of a very good app.

It's not really an upgrade price - it's only for the first week and it applies to everyone, not just current users. I guess I still have a sour taste in my mouth after paying for VJay and then they started giving it away.

serifstelar

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012
They have bills to pay and food to put on the table too, you know. It never ceases to amaze me that we live in an age where paying a few dollars for software upsets so many people.

I paid for a lot of apps, and i understand the devs need money to continue their work. But this is not a new app, it's just an update. So i'll keep the 'few dollars' for other new apps.

distemp

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2011
I use DJay in place of the Music app on my phone and I love it. I just bought this...$1 is an awesome price...but actually using the app, it just seems like a 2.0 type of update to the original. I realize updates can't be free forever and that app publishers will probably have to release a "sequel" app like this at some point but I guess I just expected a little more from a paid update.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
Ideal app for streaming via Apple TV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.