Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaknudsen

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2005
Oslo, Norway
Hi - Range creator (and longtime MacRumors reader) here. Thanks for the interest. We went with wired instead of wireless for reasons of reliability/cost/battery anxiety/reliability. Also, we did design it for more than just outdoor grilling. :) Put your phone under a bowl and/or repurpose your old 3GS, maybe. I'm most excited about our plans for the app - we didn't want to just do some skeuomorphic temperature dial. I'm going to get to be scientific with my complex experiments using the recipe graphing!

It really is a great idea for an app, but a wired connection between the device and the thermometer means I'll never consider using it.

fwunder

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2013
Hi - Range creator (and longtime MacRumors reader) here. Thanks for the interest....

Great start for a potentially very useful tool jkestner! Silicone handle is a great feature. You could sell that as a standalone addon for current probes.

My wish list would include:

1) A dual port probe for measuring/ranging environment as well as product.

This would be particularly useful for those of us who enjoy the art (science) of smoking meats or suspect our oven is not staying at a consistent temperature while roasting that turkey.

2) Increase the top-end range to 600.

This would be helpful on the dual port (environment) option. Pizza ovens and BBQ grills get hot! The bottom range of -40 is more than adequate for documenting/troubleshooting (ranging) problems with the refrigerator/freezer temperature fluctuating!

3) Wi-Fi/Bluetooth module or docking station option.

Advantages are obvious.

trainwrecka

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2007
Earth
Hasn't the novelty wore off on you guys complaining about leaving the phone outside?...

No. The phone was not intended to be left outside. If you want to slow cook a brisket while leaving your 5 or repurposed 3GS next to it in the summer heat, go ahead. The iPhone will do you the favor of shutting itself down when it gets too hot.

I'm glad the creator came on here and stated why wireless wouldn't cut it for his product, but that is the feature I would want in a product like this. He currently has 381 backers though, so obviously not an issue for others.

I think with wireless included he would have reached funding already. I would have nabbed 2.

eyehop

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
Should be good for stovetop projects that need precision temps like edible MMJ:)

St8kout

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
I thought this was a great idea, until I saw the price.

I was just shopping for a cooking thermometer the other day on Amazon and you've got some serious competition at half your asking price. There's even a remote unit that monitors two different foods at the same time (for double ovens) and even includes a wireless pager. You might have to contract out to some Chinese company to get your price down to a competitive level.

I ended up buying a cheapo quick-read battery-powered model. Granted it's not the kind you leave in the oven but it's cheap, fast, accurate, and highly rated.

Just sayin'...

St8kout

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
No way in [oven] will this be a success.

Actually in-oven sensors are plentiful and quite popular. The seal on an oven door is almost like the seal on a refrigerator door. It does the job without a lot of pressure on the seal. The sensor cord does just fine when you close the oven.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.