Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While Apple is still working to bring its developer site back up a week after taken offline due to a security breach, the company appears to be experiencing another problem with its systems today, as a number of MacRumors readers have reported they are unable to activate their new iPhones. Other reports are showing up on Twitter as the problems continue.

iphone_activation_down.jpg
According to one tipster who called Apple about the problem, the company's activation servers are currently down. Another AT&T employee has told MacRumors that AT&T has also confirmed the outage, and posts in Apple's discussion forum offer similar information.

Reports of problems began surfacing nearly three hours ago, and there is no word yet on when users can expect the issue to be fully resolved.

Article Link: Apple's iPhone Activation Servers Experiencing Extended Outage

Gurubarry

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2010
It's technology. Technology is known to occasionally have a problem and occasionally break.

As long as they get it running again within a reasonable amount of time, there is nothing "outrageous" about this. Relax! :)

Thank goodness for those reassuring words...thought my $500 was for a phone service ...mdr

Barcode

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
The work around is to ask a store employee or anyone for a working sim use that to activate then put in your sim. Problem temp. solved.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
It's technology. Technology is known to occasionally have a problem and occasionally break.

As long as they get it running again within a reasonable amount of time, there is nothing "outrageous" about this. Relax! :)

The reason why Apple is letting down customers is because they hired people like you. Satisfied with failure. It's all good man!

If I bought an expensive phone and contract, and couldn't use it for days... well, that would be my last Apple product.

:rolleyes:

klagermkii

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2007
A reminder of the downside of the glorious cloud future. If those servers are ever unavailable, you're not going to be restoring any reasonably modern iOS device (think it's 3GS or newer that needed a unique per-chip code for restoring).

It's nice to be able to pull out an old device and try it out again after a good few years (be it some old Mac or PowerBook or some kind of esoteric Psion 5mx). We're not going to have that with iOS at the point Apple decides it's too old to support.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
This.....

can spell more bad news for Apple, if not resolved swiftly. And growing discomfort and displeasure in consumer base of the poster child of Apple products. Can we seeing a somewhat coordinated effort or a system-wide failure capable to make crumble Apple....?.....:confused: :( :eek:

:):apple:

MacMan1620

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
They should call this website macTrolling. The comments on here are ridiculous. It's a temporary server issue. Get over it people.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
The reason why Apple is letting down customers is because they hired people like you. Satisfied with failure. It's all good man!

If I bought an expensive phone and contract, and couldn't use it for days... well, that would be my last Apple product.

Days? It's been a few hours. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio

So instead of trying to patch up all the holes, you would rather them just bring it up, have the system hacked again, and your personal info sold for malicious purposes. That would also be your last Apple product as well? :rolleyes:

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012

IMO the reason the world is so screwed up and litigious is people like you that don't understand that people are fallible, machines created by people are fallible, all things are fallible.

To demand and expect perfection just because you spent some money is absurd. It's just a recipe for disappointment. Stressing out because some machine is broken for a couple of hours is just silly. Now if it is still down tomorrow or through the weekend you'd have a point, but so far it's just one of those things.

Oh and I've been an IT manager with both corporate and government organizations for 20 years.

iPhone4Jay

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2011
Mentor, OH

Days? :rolleyes: Its been a couple hours...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.