Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Welcome to this weeks photo contest thread!

Theme:

Lately I've been really fascinated by interesting photography techniques/manipulations such as The Brenizer Method, tri-colour, zero gravity, tilt-shift, stereoscopic, double exposures, ghosting and planet photography; to name but a few.

This week I'd like to see a shot you've taken that utilises any technique or manipulation that creates a unique effect, this can be through conventional methods and/or digital manipulation.

Rules:

You may only submit one photo per contest.

Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

dmax35

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
HDR Columbus Ohio

Attachments

• 4919509_orig.jpg
    4919509_orig.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 201

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
An experiment with the Brenizer method on a wider scale with an environment instead of people. This was a 30 shot stitch from the exif. data. I think I could accomplish the same look with the 6D in one shot using a relatively shallow DOF and a crop to wide format!

_MG_3168_zps5e36ed79.jpg

Canon 60D, Tamron 90mm f/2.8

Last edited:

LongSticks

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Kent, UK
My first successful photo manipulation

Cuba 2009 and my first successful colour wash - and still my favourite!

IMG_0001.jpeg

Last edited:

rchip

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
I took this out in the sun at the beach. In PP I used a graduated filter to tint the sky green. It's great to have access to these graduated filters digitally where you can create more of less any colour filter you want!

9369965084_63749fe02b_b.jpg

Neur0genesis

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
Playing with Color

A chance to try something new. I like the theme.

Attachments

• IMG_0773-1.JPG
    IMG_0773-1.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 193

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
acearchie - Absolutely love the simplicity to this, the colours blend so well and the bokeh of the portrait helps really nail the definition.

pmxperience - Fantastic colour palette in this, the rays coming across the sky really help make this something special for me.

dmax35 - The dark nature of this works to an extent but I feel a slightly brither exposure could've really helped capture the detail in the brickwork.

ijohn.8.80 - A difficult technique! I would suggest in future being closer to the subject or utilising a tighter zoom. The way it messes with perspective is nice though, the focal point really works well.

LongSticks - As a technique that has sadly become so overdone via iphone apps this really made me stop and take a good look, the cars are framed and coloured to a point that I don't think could be topped.

firedept - I like the vibrancy of this shot, but I think the camera is a little too close to the subject, the detail is definitely interesting though and would undoubtably be lost with a wider shot, a hard call I guess.

Laird Knox - So many techniques! I really love this, there's so much information happening all at once, it's such a densely packed shot (in terms of imagery), but it works well, as someone who's dabbled in some pretty awful light painting I can only imagine how hard this was to set up.

deep diver - It took me a few seconds to figure out what technique I was looking at, which can be one of the issues with colour splash stuff, it pops perfectly, but the heavily dark background doesn't connect with the focal point. It's a highly detailed shot though and still one I enjoyed looking at.

fireman32 - Nature HDR can be so hard to pull off but I feel you really nailed it with with shot, it gives an almost soft focus effect where I guess there was the most movement or light differentiation, really well framed, kept me viewing.

imac wannabe - I like the vibrancy of this, but the HDR effect on the sky doesn't help in my opinion, the ground is so well brought out though and you've achieved that same near soft focus effect.

Apple fanboy - Holy editing batman, there's a bunch of things going on here. You may have stepped one effect too far with this, the shot seems busy with all the effects.

MacCruiskeen - I'm not entirely sure I understand this one? Could you clarify what the manipulation or technique is on this shot?

rchip - Whilst I like your use of green (plays nicely with the wind turbines), but I think the tint burnt the sky a bit too harsh, specifically the cloud has been darkened a step too far IMO.

AlexH - I like the editing in this, very gritty, the shot is pretty busy but there's enough variation to keep things interesting.

Oberhammer - I honestly think this shot would've been better without the weave texture, I don't understand the correlation between the texture and the subject.

DirtySocks85 - The silhouette / direction light is cute, but the dark shadows detract from this, a little brightening of the shadows would really help this shot, the framing is nice though, almost a fibonacci spiral.

Neur0genesis - I think this shot is a bit dark, the colours seem a bit dulled, definitely not bad, but the exposure lets this down, I think the double subject definitely gives the shot extra emotion.

So there was a real mix of submissions this week, which makes my judging only more difficult, but here are this weeks winners:

1. acearchie

2. Laird Knox

3. LongSticks (tied with) pmxperience

Congrats to acearchie!

I look forward to the next competition.

fireman32

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Congrats acearchie. I know that was the winner as soon as I saw it. Great job. Thanks for the great judging schtumple. I look forward to the next contest.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Thanks Schtumple for a great theme to the contest. Lots of different techniques shown. Congrat's to the winners, for me it was a tie between Ace & Laird.

ijohn.8.80 - A difficult technique! I would suggest in future being closer to the subject or utilising a tighter zoom. The way it messes with perspective is nice though, the focal point really works well.

I was about a metre from the floatation/rescue ring when I took this using my 90mm macro lens, I just panned really wide and high taking in some of the sides and height as an experiment. This technique really works best with something front and centre was what I learnt from this.

LongSticks

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Kent, UK
Thanks

Thanks Schtumple for your comments! Always always helps!

Well done Ace......I was in awe of this technique the first time I saw it......even more so now! Worthy winner

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
acearchie - Absolutely love the simplicity to this, the colours blend so well and the bokeh of the portrait helps really nail the definition.

Congrats to acearchie!

I look forward to the next competition.

Congrats acearchie. I know that was the winner as soon as I saw it. Great job.

Congrat's to the winners, for me it was a tie between Ace & Laird.

Well done Ace......I was in awe of this technique the first time I saw it......even more so now! Worthy winner

Congrats acearchie.

Thanks Schumptle for the judging and selecting my shot as the winner!

Thanks also to others for the kind words.

I still find it funny that my most popular photo on Flickr (it went a bit viral you see) is a shot that was really just a 5 minute experiment in camera!

Just goes to show that sometimes when you don't plan it you can get something good.

I will have a think today and get a new competition up hopefully tonight (UK time).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.