Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I bought an iPhone 4S 16GB on Kijiji. The guy who sold it to me said it was unlocked. He used it on Bell Canada Network. I bought a Fido SIM and had the SIM activated. But when I restarted the iPhone it never clicked into the Fido Network. Instead it gave me this message:

"The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone.Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information."

How can I unlock the phone from the Bell network and use it on my Fido Network? Bell wants $75 for them to unlock it for me. Is there anyway to do this for free??

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
Contact the seller first. If you have to pay for the unlock he should refund you that part :/

I'm guessing it was working before the reboot because of a tethered jailbreak/unlock.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Contact the seller first. If you have to pay for the unlock he should refund you that part :/

I'm guessing it was working before the reboot because of a tethered jailbreak/unlock.

Well I've tried to contact the seller but so far to no avail. I can't phone him cause I don't have a phone to do so. And so far no reply to emails. I just hope I did not get screwed out of $250.

I can't even get the IMEI # to show up on the phone.

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
The IMEI is on the sim tray or if you go to the screen to dial a phone number
then input *#06# and hit call.
But you're not going to get it unlocked for free either way.
Next time be more careful before you spend $250 and make sure it is unlocked prior to handing over your cash.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
The IMEI is on the sim tray or if you go to the screen to dial a phone number
then input *#06# and hit call.
But you're not going to get it unlocked for free either way.
Next time be more careful before you spend $250 and make sure it is unlocked prior to handing over your cash.

Well I was not able to get to a screen to dial that number until a re-inserted the Bell SIM. Once I had the Bell SIM in I was able to follow the steps to get to the default home screen. With the Fido SIM I only get a few steps into the setup. the only way to get the number pad to show up with the Fido SIM is the use the emergency call option but inputing the number doesn't give me the IMEI that way. I still get "no service" with the Bell SIM.

hollersoft

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
If it's locked to Bell you can use it on Virgin without unlocking. Their plans are similar to Fido.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
If it's locked to Bell you can use it on Virgin without unlocking. Their plans are similar to Fido.

I already have a Fido contract. I broke my previous iPhone 4S so I had to purchase a new (or use) one.

----------

What do you mean that number will do you no good?
That is the phones IMEI.
That's what they will ask you for in order to unlock it.

Okay then.

----------

That is the phones IMEI.

Okay then.

----------

That is the phones IMEI.

Okay then.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
:D
ace-ventura-alrighty-then-GMuo4V.jpg

hollersoft

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
I already have a Fido contract. I broke my previous iPhone 4S so I had to purchase a new (or use) one.

Ah that sucks then. Bell won't unlock the phone unless you're currently on contract with them, and even if they do they rip you off for that $75. My friend just went through this and ended up with Virgin so he didn't have to deal with Bell for unlocking.

You may have to sell the phone and try again to find an unlocked one.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada

Sorry. Mac Rumours went weird on me hence why I replied with the same thing three times in a row. LOL

----------

Ah that sucks then. Bell won't unlock the phone unless you're currently on contract with them, and even if they do they rip you off for that $75. My friend just went through this and ended up with Virgin so he didn't have to deal with Bell for unlocking.

You may have to sell the phone and try again to find an unlocked one.

If I paid that $75 it would unlock it right?? I popped an Ad on Kijiji for the fun of it. But what sucker would buy my phone? Oh wait... I got suckered. LOL Seriously though this is a pain in the butt.

hennmann

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2016
I bought an iPhone 4S 16GB on Kijiji. The guy who sold it to me said it was unlocked. He used it on Bell Canada Network. I bought a Fido SIM and had the SIM activated. But when I restarted the iPhone it never clicked into the Fido Network. Instead it gave me this message:

"The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone.Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information."

How can I unlock the phone from the Bell network and use it on my Fido Network? Bell wants $75 for them to unlock it for me. Is there anyway to do this for free??
Not likely because the person who sold it to you probably indicated this nonsense of being unlocked to sell it easier. At least they only want $75. When I dumped Rogers they charged me $50-75 to unlock as well before I went to Bell. Apple wanted $150. Since then I bought another 5C as a replacement for my 4s using my 4s as a spare off of ePay locked to bell. To save me what you are going through I avoided locked to carriers that I didn't want or looked for unlocked as well. The unlocked 4s and 5, c, s etc. were either at a stupid price by the seller for an obvious older phone or everybody was bidding the price up to more than what I wanted to pay. I ended up with a 5c locked to Bell because that's who I'm with now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.