Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eliehass

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
Edit: Nevermind, I think I found the solution here.

I have a rMBP with 16 GB of RAM which was causing me to have a 16 GB sleep image file. I decided I didn't want that much hard drive space wasted for a feature I'm not that interested in, so I opened up the terminal and entered these commands:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage

The sleep image file was erased and I was happy.

My issue is that every time I put my laptop back to sleep, the sleep image file returns, even though I disabled safe sleep. I even checked in the terminal. When I input this command in the terminal:
pmset -g | grep hibernatemode
I get this result:
hibernatemode 0
which seems to imply that safe sleep is in fact off...

Does anyone know what may be causing this issue?

Last edited:

eliehass

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
Does disabling it give any performance?

It just saves you some hard drive space. And possibly lowers the time between when you close your laptop, and when it is actually sleeping, since your computer doesn't have to go through the step of writing your ram to the hard drive. With an SSD though, that time is minimal anyway.

Godf1st

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2012
It just saves you some hard drive space. And possibly lowers the time between when you close your laptop, and when it is actually sleeping, since your computer doesn't have to go through the step of writing you ram to the hard drive.

Correct. If you don't mind the space the file takes up, leave it be. For those with smaller ssd and a lot of ram, it is an unwelcome manifestation at times

Thanks

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
It just saves you some hard drive space. And possibly lowers the time between when you close your laptop, and when it is actually sleeping, since your computer doesn't have to go through the step of writing your ram to the hard drive. With an SSD though, that time is minimal anyway.
It is still the difference between a couple seconds and pretty much instant. I hat safe sleep because often I close the notebook and remember I still need to check some thing and then you have to wait for it to fully shut down before it can wake again. With hibernate 0 that is pretty much just close, open and ready.

Just curious, what's the disadvantage of disabling safe sleep?
I never had my battery completely loose power when it is sleeping. It is really a rare issue. Effectively it is like crashing your notebook when the battery runs out. Today you rarely loose any power as most either save their current work progress before they put a system to sleep or it autosaves and you don't loose much.
There really isn't much of a disadvantage. In 98% of times you probably wouldn't loose any data or nothing important and in 99% of the time it would never happen anyway.
Safe sleep exists to make the system more idiot proof but it is really a waste of time, energy and most of all space. An SSD that doesn't have to write a sleep image all the time will live longer and more happily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.