Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Research firm IDC has released its estimates on worldwide mobile phone sales for the second quarter of 2013, showing Apple's iPhone growth slowing as it posted its second-lowest iPhone growth rate in four years with only 20% year-over-year growth compared to 52.3% growth for the entire market. However, Apple maintained a hold on the number two spot for smartphone makers behind Samsung, as other competitors LG, Lenovo, and ZTE failed to hit the 6% mark during the quarter.

idc_2Q13_smartphones.jpg
Worldwide Smartphone Shipments in 2Q13 in Millions of Units (Source: IDC)
Apple posted its second-lowest year-over-year iPhone growth rate in almost four years as some buyers presumably held off on iPhone purchases in advance of an expected next-generation device launch this fall. Nonetheless, the 31.2 million iPhones Apple shipped last quarter was impressive as its flagship iPhone 5 model, which has been in the market for three quarters, was faced with additional global competition in the form of Samsung's Galaxy S4 and HTC's critically-acclaimed One models. Apple's growth is likely to accelerate globally assuming it launches a lower-cost iPhone and continues to penetrate prepaid markets in the quarters to come.
Apple continues to benefit from the growth of smartphones, as it held onto its spot as the number three manufacturer in the world in looking at total mobile phone shipments. Apple's overall unit shipments were up 5.2% from previous quarter, while overall market share rose 0.8% allowing the company to grab an overall 7.2% market share for the quarter.

idc_2Q13_phones1.jpg
Worldwide Mobile Phone Shipments in 2Q13 in Millions of Units (Source: IDC)

Article Link: Apple's Smartphone Growth Slows as Mobile Phone Market Accelerates in 2Q 2013

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
lousy excuse

iphone buyers are holding off

nobody cares anymore

the latest iphone 5 is good enough

if it has the same size screen then nobody cares.

go home apple.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
While the numbers may very well be true, the number I am more interested in is the number of units sold, not shipped.

eltaurus

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
opss sorry .. i switched to HTC one from iphone4 as (wifi direct share is not available in ios 7) and iphone 5 isn't got enough screen is still small .. and apple being to controlling.. iOS 7 naaahhhh

love Mac OS / not so much iOS anymore

Last edited:

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
How in the hell is the lead to that "Apple's growth slows" instead of "everybody on this chart sees year-to-year growth?" Apple grew when you compare apples to apples -- all smartphones since Apple sells no dumbphones -- along with Samsung, LG and "others" the expense of Nokia.

Reports like this that make the mainstream media are why my mom tells me things like "I heard the new iPhone wasn't selling well because of that new connector."

PollyK

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
Those are some crushing stats from Sammy. But I'm sure the usual Shipped Vs. Sold excuse will get beat to no end. Because you know, Sammy's quarterly profit reports mean nothing.

thaifood

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
All the more reason why apple will benefit immensely from a lower cost phone that can be introduced to markets that are predominantly unsubsidised. Or even in current subsidised markets to create a $0 upfront payment for a handset as soon as the device is released.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Impressive numbers from Samsung. iOS 7 is definitely make or break for Apple.

Nah, if they get in a jam they can just ship 10 million phones that will never sell through, and problem solved! Anyway, it's about time Apple returned the favor and ripped off one of Samsung's "innovations". ;)

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I would like to show all of you that Android phones in the US are under $40 OFF CONTRACT!!!

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/chaser-phone/features/

Imagine what the price of some smartphones in China and India are? Especially the knock-off brands (KIRF).

When all mobile phones become smartphones, if Apple holds on to 10%+ market share that is more than enough. If they hold 20%+ that would mean they make more $$$ than everyone else combined!

ElTorro

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
How in the hell is the lead to that "Apple's growth slows" instead of "everybody on this chart sees year-to-year growth?" Apple grew when you compare apples to apples -- all smartphones since Apple sells no dumbphones -- along with Samsung, LG and "others" the expense of Nokia.

Reports like this that make the mainstream media are why my mom tells me things like "I heard the new iPhone wasn't selling well because of that new connector."

The first chart is for smartphones only, so it is apples to apples. Apple grew only 20% since last year. Samsung smartphones now outsell Apple 2 to 1

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011

The RATE of Apple's growth is slowing. And Apple's smartphone market share shrunk even though the overall smartphone market grew by approximately 50%.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
It doesn't bode well for Ipad either...

First half of 2013 in Western Europe

http://www.teleread.com/tablet/context-data-shows-android-tablets-leading-europe-ipads-slipping/

The latest data report from London-headquartered tech sales and pricing research firm CONTEXT shows tablets holding up the otherwise declining consumer PC distribution business across Western Europe —but specifically, Android tablets.

According to the CONTEXT figures, sales of tablets rose 137 percent in the first half of 2013, with low-end Android devices leading that trend.

“In the consumer segment, while the iPad remains a popular choice, we have seen tablet demand steadily driven by low end Android offerings”, said Marie Christine Pygott, Senior Analyst at CONTEXT. “The increasing availability of attractively priced Android systems means consumers can easily buy a tablet as an additional product to their home PC, which means they postpone the replacement of their traditional PC.”

According to the CONTEXT data, Android tablets now account for 61.2 percent of the Western European tablet market, more than double the 25.1 percent recorded the same time last year. Apple iOS devices, meanwhile, fell to 37.2 percent of Western European tablet market sales by distribution, from 71.2 percent at the same time last year.

This analysis also screens out the effect of Windows 8, credited in some quarters with helping to drive increased tablet market share and cut into Apple’s tablet lead, but in fact with little to no impact, according to CONTEXT.
''

Android tablets: 61.2%
Ipad: 37.2%
other: 1.6%

2013 First Quarter

IDC-smartphone-marketshare-Q1-2013.png

Wouldn't be surprised to see Android Tablet at 75% market share in the near future. Something like this within 2 years....

Android tablets: 75%
Ipad: 20%
Window tablet: 5%

Why? A top of the line 7" 16GB HD Android tablets are now on sales for $159...It's hard to compete with that.

80% / 20% duopology will continue:

Windows / Macs
Android phone / iphone
Android tablets / Ipad

Last edited:

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Looks like Lenovo are making an entrance by those figures. Yet I have never even seen a Lenovo phone for sale here in the UK!

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
The main thing I conclude from looking at both tables is that smartphones are cannibalizing feature phones worldwide, hence the strong smartphone growth for most manufacturers except Apple despite a moderate growth for phones in general.

With super-cheap Android phones becoming the norm in emerging countries, feature phones will soon be a thing of the past. Although I doubt Apple will ever release a low-end device (maybe a mid-range one), it will get increasingly difficult to split phones into different categories as now they're all going to be "smartphones".

Obviously Apple's worldwide smartphone marketshare will suffer from this effect and they will get a perception problem (it already started) regardless of its performance as a high-end smartphone manufacturer.

Last edited:

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
I would like to show all of you that Android phones in the US are under $40 OFF CONTRACT!!!

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/chaser-phone/features/

Imagine what the price of some smartphones in China and India are? Especially the knock-off brands (KIRF).

When all mobile phones become smartphones, if Apple holds on to 10%+ market share that is more than enough. If they hold 20%+ that would mean they make more $$$ than everyone else combined!

You do know Samsung numbers are mostley from there top end phones right? Like the gs4,note 2 and gs3 sales or did you some how think Samsung's 23billion pure profit in the last 6 months is from 40 dollar phones?

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
idc-1q-2013-smartphone-shipments.png

IDC-smartphone-marketshare-Q1-2013.png

2013 2nd Quarter might look like this

Android: 80%
iOS: 13.1%
Windows phone: 3%
Blackberry: 3%
Linux: 0.9%

We will find out the exact # in a few days. We only know iOS number for sure at 13.1%. Since that 13.1% is the % of iOS market share in 2013 2Q.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.