Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

threadwell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Two months trying to print wireless over the network to my Lexmark e460dn from my MBP Retina (purchased in early December) and no joy. Like many, I am relegated to USB. I even tried printing from Windows 8 (yuk) under Parallels. Tried the December V11 printer driver upgrade & the latest driver from the Lexmark site, too.

Last resort, I spent 1.5 hours on the phone with Applecare, just to have them run me through everything I've already done (twice) and treat me like it was my first time on a Mac. They finally kicked me upstairs to a "senior technician" who said yeah, they know there is a problem with ML OS and many popular printers out there, but there is no timetable to do anything about it as it's not a big priority. I got the distinct impression they just don't really care - a big turnaround from 2-3 years ago.

I've been with Apple for 32 years. I've lost count of how many Macs I've owned. I've never seen Apple this sloppy. The only thing that is keeping me in the fold is seeing how progressively worse the Windows environment gets. Steve Jobs said that the problem with Microsoft is that they excel in mediocrity. With Cook at the helm - they are heading the same way.

Apple is also taking away the dealerships from the small operators who have been their most dedicated & talented problems solvers (happened in my area last year). I used to have the local resources to fix things, now I just have....Applecare....

Sorry for the rant. First let down in buying a Mac - ever...

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Two months trying to print wireless over the network to my Lexmark e460dn from my MBP Retina (purchased in early December) and no joy. Like many, I am relegated to USB. I even tried printing from Windows 8 (yuk) under Parallels. Tried the December V11 printer driver upgrade & the latest driver from the Lexmark site, too.

Last resort, I spent 1.5 hours on the phone with Applecare, just to have them run me through everything I've already done (twice) and treat me like it was my first time on a Mac. They finally kicked me upstairs to a "senior technician" who said yeah, they know there is a problem with ML OS and many popular printers out there, but there is no timetable to do anything about it as it's not a big priority. I got the distinct impression they just don't really care - a big turnaround from 2-3 years ago.

I've been with Apple for 32 years. I've lost count of how many Macs I've owned. I've never seen Apple this sloppy. The only thing that is keeping me in the fold is seeing how progressively worse the Windows environment gets. Steve Jobs said that the problem with Microsoft is that they excel in mediocrity. With Cook at the helm - they are heading the same way.

Apple is also taking away the dealerships from the small operators who have been their most dedicated & talented problems solvers (happened in my area last year). I used to have the local resources to fix things, now I just have....Applecare....

Sorry for the rant. First let down in buying a Mac - ever...

You have to understand that there are literally hundreds of printer models. My printer works fine over my wireless networks (HP OfficeJet).

Yours, obviously, does not. However, it's also a different model, which likely requires different drivers. It could just as likely be the printer's (and its respective driver's) fault, and not necessarily OSX's fault.

threadwell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Printer problems

You have to understand that there are literally hundreds of printer models. My printer works fine over my wireless networks (HP OfficeJet).

Yours, obviously, does not. However, it's also a different model, which likely requires different drivers. It could just as likely be the printer's (and its respective driver's) fault, and not necessarily OSX's fault.

I know....

The Lexmark 260/360/460 series sees pretty widespread use in the Mac community. It is very, very popular. My tech ( dealer until late 2012) has been selling/repairing Apple products in my area for about 25 years. His knowledge is amazing & he's a local legend...

..that being said, he has seen this (growing) problem for several months now & it is highly unusual (in his experience) for a problem such as this to go unresolved for so long. In the past, Apple has not hesitated to work agressively in house and with the vendors of other products. Sometimes it's OS, sometimes it's the company's drivers or it's both. In the past, regardless, Apple has taken the lead - especially if it is a "mainstream" printer like Lexmark (or HP). Talking to others having the same problems with Lexmarks ( and other brands too), and seeing a growing backlog of problems in this area, we (& others) have concluded that Apple has abandoned this issue.

I just see a general shift/slide happening in Apple that has been more evident in recent years.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I guess your best bet would be to sell it and buy a fully AirPrint compatible model...HP, Epson etc. all have models available. I use an Epson SX535W....No wires, prints from my Macs and ipad nad phone...Separate cartridges make it cost effective too, and the scanner is superb.

threadwell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Printing

I guess your best bet would be to sell it and buy a fully AirPrint compatible model...HP, Epson etc. all have models available. I use an Epson SX535W....No wires, prints from my Macs and ipad nad phone...Separate cartridges make it cost effective too, and the scanner is superb.

We have 4 other Macs here. They all work/print fine & they all are running 10.6.8. Sorry folks, but I think the Retina will eventually go. It's not worth it when including the price of another new printer....

threadwell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Nope.

My dealer & repairman of 25years had his dealership & creds pulled by Apple, so I'm in a service/sales vacuum. He was legendary as the best in a tri- country area, but that didn't count because he had the wrong "image".

Apple still won't/can't help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.