Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
And hot on the heels of Jack Hoffman comes this story. Personally, there isn't much that I've agreed with George H. W. Bush on, but this is really cool. And I have to say that he looks good bald. Distinguished, in a Patrick Stewart/Avery Brooks kind of way.

Well done, Mr. President.. Well done.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/n...r-pres-bush-shaves-head-2-yr-old-boy-leukemia

Former Pres. Bush shaves head for 2-yr-old boy with leukemia
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

HOUSTON — Former President George H.W. Bush has shaved his head to show solidarity for the sick child of a Secret Service agent.

A statement issued by a Bush spokesman Wednesday says the 89-year-old former president acted earlier this week at his summer home in Kennebunkport, Maine. That was after he saw members of his Secret Service detail with newly shaved heads to show support for the 2-year-old son of an agent. The child’s undergoing treatment for leukemia and is losing his hair as a result.

The Bush spokesman identified the boy only as Patrick.

George and Barbara Bush lost their second child, 4-year-old Robin Bush, to leukemia almost 60 years ago.

The security detail has launched a website, http://www.patrickspals.org, to help with expenses associated with Patrick’s treatment.

BL.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Proof that we are human before anything else, regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation or political preference. If we could all remember this, the world would be a much better place.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
And hot on the heels of Jack Hoffman comes this story. Personally, there isn't much that I've agreed with George H. W. Bush on, but this is really cool. And I have to say that he looks good bald. Distinguished, in a Patrick Stewart/Avery Brooks kind of way.

Well done, Mr. President.. Well done.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/n...r-pres-bush-shaves-head-2-yr-old-boy-leukemia

BL.

I have nothing good to say about any of the Bush family...but I have to give props to the old man, it was a nice gesture.

That quite nicely sums it up.

All of these quotes sum up my position very well, and thanks for posting this story, OP.

Indeed, while I never much liked the Bush family, I have to say that this is a very decent and generous gesture. Very well done.

BanjoBanker

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Mt Brook, AL
George H.W. Bush is a WW II hero and was an okay president. Not great, not bad, just okay. However, one thing that can be said about Bush 41 is that he is a caring and compassionate man. Shaving his head to help a two year feel better about himself is a self-less act of humanity and I admire him greatly for it. Good on you President Bush!

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
George H.W. Bush is a WW II hero and was an okay president. Not great, not bad, just okay. However, one thing that can be said about Bush 41 is that he is a caring and compassionate man. Shaving his head to help a two year feel better about himself is a self-less act of humanity and I admire him greatly for it. Good on you President Bush!

Very well said!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
1. Looks like Dr. Evil and mini me.

2. Looks that Bush is using a new PR team that knows how to create a viral story.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
1. Looks like Dr. Evil and mini me.

2. Looks that Bush is using a new PR team that knows how to create a viral story.

Far be it from me to defend Bush, but for what purpose would he need to create a viral story?

A run for the Presidency?

Also...I care little for the supposed, assumed, guessed at, or hypothesized motivation...I judge the action on it's own merits.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Damn, we scalped the wrong Bush.

Seriously, what a great thing for him to do.

FootWedge18

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2013
A nice gesture and it helps draw attention to Leukemia awareness. My 3 year grandson was diagnosed with leukemia last August.

At the risk of violating the forum rules, I'd invite you to send a few dollars to the Leukemia Lymphoma Society to aid in research to end this disease.

http://www.lls.org/

Thraun

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2008
Abbotsford, BC
He's a hero for shaving his head? Sorry, but give me a break. If he donated bone marrow to cure the kid, then maybe I'd jump on this bandwagon.

Maybe this is why we don't have a cure for cancer already - all it takes is some formerly famous person to shave their head and everyone goes cuckoo. Well, maybe save your excitement if the kid actually lives another year.

DrNeroCF

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2004
He's a hero for shaving his head? Sorry, but give me a break. If he donated bone marrow to cure the kid, then maybe I'd jump on this bandwagon.

Maybe this is why we don't have a cure for cancer already - all it takes is some formerly famous person to shave their head and everyone goes cuckoo. Well, maybe save your excitement if the kid actually lives another year.

The PR machine behind breast cancer and you just had to tear into a kind gesture for a young boy with leukemia?

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here

No he's a WWII hero and a nice guy for shaving his head to make the child of a ss guy maybe feel a little better and a little more normal. The kid doesn't know the old guy is famous to him he's just a nice old guy.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
He's a hero for shaving his head?

No but it was nice.

Sorry, but give me a break. If he donated bone marrow to cure the kid, then maybe I'd jump on this bandwagon.

Look, I'm a seriously cranky and cynical dude, but there is no 'bandwagon' on which to jump. One can recognize someone's kind gestures without admiring or liking or having anything but negative thoughts about the person.

Maybe this is why we don't have a cure for cancer already

Sorry, pet-peeve: stop talking about a 'cure' for cancer. This grossly misrepresents the nature of the affliction and does no one any good.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
This is nice for those involved but stop face booking every time some 2nd grade class shaves their head for the one kid who has cancer. It's just not original or newsworthy at all anymore. It's about as original as letting the retarded kid score a basket during the last game of the year. Nice for all involved but don't need to see it as THE MOST HEARTBREAKING VIDEO YOU WILL EVER SEE.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

Aside of someone mentioning that Bush was a WW II hero, you're the only one who has called him a hero for doing this. What an ass hole for shaving his head along with his security people to try and make a sick kid feel better about himself and bringing more attention to this disease. Amiright? :rolleyes:

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
No disrespect to President Bush, who was a war hero at an age when I, personally, was a feckless college kid - and who went on to be a decent and honorable President.

But this whole "shave your head to support a cancer patient" is a bunch of b/s. A movie-inspired cliché that - at the end of the day - doesn't really do much for the cancer patient.

My 74-year old mom is in recovery from her second round of breast cancer. Both my father and step-father died of cancer within two years of each other. So I've got some experience here.

Shaving your head doesn't really do much of anything for the patient. It won't make chemotherapy go any quicker, or make it any easier. All it does is serve as a constant reminder to the patient that "hey - I've got cancer." Want to help out? Drive them to the clinic a few times. Do the shopping or household cleaning. Go and talk to them.

If you've got really great hair, and insist on cutting it off - then at least donate it to Locks of Love or some other organization thats going to make good use of it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This thread is sadly symptomatic of the sour note that seems to have crept into much discussion and debate online.

What is striking about this thread is that it hasn't fractured into the usual 'right' versus 'left', or, to rephrase that in US terms, 'conservative/Republican' versus (somewhat) 'liberal/Democratic' fault lines of debate. Indeed, most of those allowing some credit, or praise, or acknowledgement of the decency and generosity of the gesture are actually those whom I know (from other threads and other discussions) to be more liberal or left leaning.

Along with several others who have posted here, I never liked the Bush family, and, while I had little love for the father, I truly detested and despised the son; in fact, ever since Ronald Reagan took office, I confess that I have deeply disliked the direction the Republican right have increasingly taken in the US.

However, that is merely background. For what it is worth, former President G. H. W. Bush actually does not need to prove anything at this stage of his life. As has already been pointed out, he was a war hero, a genuine war hero, not a manufactured one; he also made a fortune in oil, - the sort of action that shows the entrepreneurial spirit so much admired in the US - and had an unusually successful political career; his personal life also seems to have been a source of satisfaction, too, and few doubt that his relationship with his wife is rock solid and has served as a source of support throughout his life.

With all of this behind him, he has nothing left to prove; he doesn't need the publicity such an action will bring, and nor does he need the kudos, nice though they are. What I don't get is the carping and sneering tone. Sure, it won't cure cancer, but it is a thoughtful, kind and generous gesture; if in any way it helps to make the kid feel a bit better about himself, and what is happening to him, I can only applaud. Moreover, such actions may serve to help discussion, and awareness, of cancer, and that, too, can only be a good thing.

----------

Far be it from me to defend Bush, but for what purpose would he need to create a viral story?

A run for the Presidency?

Also...I care little for the supposed, assumed, guessed at, or hypothesized motivation...I judge the action on it's own merits.

I meant to say; very well said. As is so often the case, I find myself in complete agreement with this post.

----------

Not to go too off-topic, but I love the reference to my two favorite Star Trek Captains. :D

Oh, yes, agreed. Me, too.......

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
This thread is sadly symptomatic of the sour note that seems to have crept into much discussion and debate online.

What is striking about this thread is that it hasn't fractured into the usual 'right' versus 'left', or, to rephrase that in US terms, 'conservative/Republican' versus (somewhat) 'liberal/Democratic' fault lines of debate. Indeed, most of those allowing some credit, or praise, or acknowledgement of the decency and generosity of the gesture are actually those whom I know (from other threads and other discussions) to be more liberal or left leaning.

Along with several others who have posted here, I never liked the Bush family, and, while I had little love for the father, I truly detested and despised the son; in fact, ever since Ronald Reagan took office, I confess that I have deeply disliked the direction the Republican right have increasingly taken in the US.

However, that is merely background. For what it is worth, former President G. H. W. Bush actually does not need to prove anything at this stage of his life. As has already been pointed out, he was a war hero, a genuine war hero, not a manufactured one; he also made a fortune in oil, - the sort of action that shows the entrepreneurial spirit so much admired in the US - and had an unusually successful political career; his personal life also seems to have been a source of satisfaction, too, and few doubt that his relationship with his wife is rock solid and has served as a source of support throughout his life.

With all of this behind him, he has nothing left to prove; he doesn't need the publicity such an action will bring, and nor does he need the kudos, nice though they are. What I don't get is the carping and sneering tone. Sure, it won't cure cancer, but it is a thoughtful, kind and generous gesture; if in any way it helps to make the kid feel a bit better about himself, and what is happening to him, I can only applaud. Moreover, such actions may serve to help discussion, and awareness, of cancer, and that, too, can only be a good thing.

Outstanding post. Very well said.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
No disrespect to President Bush, who was a war hero at an age when I, personally, was a feckless college kid - and who went on to be a decent and honorable President.

But this whole "shave your head to support a cancer patient" is a bunch of b/s. A movie-inspired cliché that - at the end of the day - doesn't really do much for the cancer patient.

My 74-year old mom is in recovery from her second round of breast cancer. Both my father and step-father died of cancer within two years of each other. So I've got some experience here.

Shaving your head doesn't really do much of anything for the patient. It won't make chemotherapy go any quicker, or make it any easier. All it does is serve as a constant reminder to the patient that "hey - I've got cancer." Want to help out? Drive them to the clinic a few times. Do the shopping or household cleaning. Go and talk to them.

If you've got really great hair, and insist on cutting it off - then at least donate it to Locks of Love or some other organization thats going to make good use of it.

You were a college student in the early and mid 1940's and you mom is only 74? You're older than your own mother?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.