Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A report from the China Times (cited on the Japanese website Mac Otakara) predicts an October launch for an updated MacBook Pro model featuring Intel's new Haswell processors, which are already present in the new MacBook Airs, released last month at Apple's annual WWDC event. The report cites sources in Apple's lengthy supply chain and suggests that the new models will remain the same price as the previous ones.

The new range of Haswell processors (image above courtesy of ITPro UK) offer a slight boost in processor speed, but their major draw is a lower rate of power consumption compared to previous models. The MacBook Air now boasts an "all-day battery life" of up to 12 hours for the 13-inch model and up to 9 hours for the 11-inch model. The chips also offer support for the latest 4K displays, which offer a resolution 4 times that of standard HD displays. Currently, no Apple products feature the resolution.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has a good track record when it comes to Apple rumors, originally predicted new MacBook Pros with Haswell processors at WWDC back in June, alongside a slimmer MacBook Pro with Retina display, though he later updated his prediction to suggest a mid-September release date for refreshed MacBook Pros.

There is some evidence that suggests Apple vendors may be trying to run down existing MacBook Pro stock. Both Best Buy and Amazon are currently offering significant back-to-school discounts on the MacBook Pro, offering the 13-inch base model (with 4 GB of memory and a 500 GB hard drive) for $999, compared to $1,199 in the Apple Store. Best Buy has dropped the price even further for students, with an additional $100 off.

The sales do not appear to be confined to the United States as Amazon UK is currently selling the same entry level 13-inch MacBook Pro for £904.95 ($1,395), instead of £999 ($1,539) in the Apple Store.

Yesterday, Mac Mini shipping times slipped to 5 to 7 days in the official Apple Store, suggesting that Apple may also be gearing up to introduce additional new products in the near future.

Article Link: Report Suggests Haswell MacBook Pros May Arrive in October

Last edited:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Sounds good but wish it was a little sooner
I am in the market for a new rMBP and want to hold out

I was sorely tempted to get a current one by the $200 off Best Buy is offering today and tomorrow.

http://gizmodo.com/the-retina-macbook-pro-is-more-than-300-off-at-best-b-920832463

Must resist and wait. I already picked up a 2012 11" MBA in January from a similar sale. :p

The main draw to the Haswell models for me will be the possibility of better integrated graphics.

B

nycmi

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2013
I'll be interested to see if they do end up bringing back the 17" Macbook Pro with Retina, I would buy that in a heartbeat.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I was sorely tempted to get a current one by the $200 off Best Buy is offering today and tomorrow.

http://gizmodo.com/the-retina-macbook-pro-is-more-than-300-off-at-best-b-920832463

B

I was more tempted to get the new MBA since I have a current 2011 version
But I want the larger capacity of the rMBP and I am doing more video editing these days
I'm hoping my travel will decrease a little bit and I won't miss the MBA's portability

Regardless, glad to hear more rumors and news about this release
Looking forward to it and plan to jump as soon as they are released

chakdey

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2008
I do not want to wait that long :/ But it's worth the wait. Im still on my late 2008 macbook pro, been waiting for the ac wifi and Haswell. :)

iThinkIt

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Florida, USA
need a MBP very soon..

old one has dead battery,only works on AC power, disk drive kaput, "s" key will not work... screen dimming.. have to use chill pad or it over heats and locks up.

I guess I got my money worth from a 2007 MBP. :eek: :cool:

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
Why is this taking this long???? I need to get a new MB ASAP since my 2006 white Mac is under life support and Apple is making it so difficult.

Last edited:

ictiosapiens

macrumors regular
May 9, 2006
What's up with this "Let's launch everything in autumn" BS??? Wasn't it better in the past with staggered launches? It kept the Apple hype going throughout the year.

Michael Jordan

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2012
The reason behind there October release is they come in all black edition, just like the Mac Pro line. :rolleyes:(let this be!)

teekayx

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2007
All the rMBPs with LG screens are suffering from image retention. I guess Apple is waiting for these issues to be solved. It's the retina display which pushes the release so far back.

You can check the discussion here (533 pages long thread, was reset a couple of times by Apple, else it would be more than 1000 pages long by now):

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4034848?tstart=0

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
Aw dang it. I need one for school but now I'm not sure if I should wait or just take advantage of Best Buy's offer. :(

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
All the rMBPs with LG screens are suffering from image retention. I guess Apple is waiting for these issues to be solved. It's the retina display which pushes the release so far back.

You can check the discussion here (533 pages long thread, was reset a couple of times by Apple, else it would be more than 1000 pages long by now):

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4034848?tstart=0

I'm with you on this. I was about to commit to a rmbp a couple months ago. I went into a few stores and every display model I looked at had IR. I still can't believe the denial on this topic.

anubis72

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2004
Why is this taking this long???? I need to get a new McBook ASAP since my 2006 white Mac is under life support and Apple is making it so difficult.

I'm in the same boat, except that mine's not on life support. Still runs strong, but I need to upgrade because 1) I'm stuck at 10.7.5 and b) I need more power!

So they make it sound like the only improvement will be a modest boost in chip speed and improved battery life? Is this truly the case?

I'm thinking if Apple was more committed to the whole education thing, they'd release their new Macs BEFORE 1/3 of the way into the school year (at least in the US). Just sayin'...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.