Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

14-year-old iOS developer Ross Penman has created 'Dev Center Notifier', a SMS notification system that sends text messages to users when the status of each service on Apple's Developer Center changes.

devcenteroutage.jpg
Dev Center Notifier will send an SMS to your phone each time any component of Apple's developer services goes online or offline. Data comes directly from Apple's Developer System Status page.
This service comes after the current outage of Apple's Developer Center which started late last week. Earlier this week, independent security researcher Ibrahim Balic speculated that he may be responsible for the security breach that caused the outage.

Article Link: Developer Creates SMS Notification System for Apple Dev Center Services

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
No disrespect to the 14 year old kid, but giving my cell phone number screams something fishy. Can't trust it. I'd rather have the developers page on bookmark.

j41

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
I applaud him for making a cool app, but it would have been much more useful as a RSS feed for use with IFTTT.com.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Out of the minds of babes. A 14 year old! Great idea. :)

Guys, cmon. It's a kid. Google his name and info. If anything goes amiss, use iOS 7 blocking for texts, emails, etc. If it is truly a severe situation, contact your carrier. Are we this jaded?

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I'd be happy with an RSS feed (sadly not an option), but that's just me.

The lazy just got lazier.

I guess I didn't really see it that way, I looked at it more from the perspective that some people are really busy (i.e. not the universe of people reading MR! ;)) and would like a heads-up that services at the developer site may have recently come back on line.

But, yeah, if nothing else this 14 year-old will learn that many people have a natural distrust of giving out personal information (in this case, their cell phone number).

RossPenman

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2013
If I have time I'll add email and RSS. I did it with SMS because I wanted to be notified as soon as possible and also because I wanted to do something with Twilio.

ZacNicholson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Austin
I like that kids and young teens are getting more into developing stuff. it makes me very hopeful for the future of our gadgets

JoeBlazeX

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
Out of the minds of babes. A 14 year old! Great idea. :)

Guys, cmon. It's a kid. Google his name and info. If anything goes amiss, use iOS 7 blocking for texts, emails, etc. If it is truly a severe situation, contact your carrier. Are we this jaded?

Yes.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
If I have time I'll add email and RSS. I did it with SMS because I wanted to be notified as soon as possible and also because I wanted to do something with Twilio.

School's out and an endless summer beckons, full of unfulfilled dreams and possibilities. Get to it.
Seriously though, good job and thanks.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
The downtime is getting ridiculous, certificates and profiles are still not up!

You say that like anything is back up yet. Everything they took offline is still offline - the only things online (iTunes Connect and Bug Reporter) are the things they never took offline in the first place.

My iOS profile expires in 9 days... are they going to extend my profile out by a week? Not that it matters, I'm planning on wrapping up my first iOS 7 app by Wednesday. Then I'll probably be shifting to developing OS X apps while awaiting iOS 7's release, for which my certificate is good until 2014...

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Everything they took offline is still offline - the only things online (iTunes Connect and Bug Reporter) are the things they never took offline in the first place.

When I checked the status page shortly after it was announced, Bug Reporter was shown as being offline. Whether Apple actually took it offline or not, I have no idea.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
You say that like anything is back up yet. Everything they took offline is still offline - the only things online (iTunes Connect and Bug Reporter) are the things they never took offline in the first place.

My iOS profile expires in 9 days... are they going to extend my profile out by a week? Not that it matters, I'm planning on wrapping up my first iOS 7 app by Wednesday. Then I'll probably be shifting to developing OS X apps while awaiting iOS 7's release, for which my certificate is good until 2014...

1 week of downtime is unacceptable, as this affects our business and alot of other developers. We can't test any apps on devices because we can't add them to the portal.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007

I'm guessing everyone will get a free month or two added to our accounts once everything is working...

irradiant

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2013
School's out and an endless summer beckons, full of unfulfilled dreams and possibilities. Get to it.
Seriously though, good job and thanks.

There, that is a reflection of the generational difference; that Ross at 14 would begin with the cell-phone and with SMS because he it is going to be with him where-ever he goes. Apple should offer him an internship, because he managed to think of something that they did not, and because if they are going to continue to play a role then they need the input from people like Ross; input perhaps from Ross Penman.

Still they could always rip of his idea and claim that this was something in works; I hope not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.