Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Marketing Land has assembled this comparison chart showing what subscription and rental services can be used with the new Google Chromecast, the Apple TV, and the Roku streaming boxes.

The new Chromecast, which costs just $35, plugs into an HDMI port on a television, and needs to be charged via a USB connection. The Roku box is perhaps the most direct competitor for the Apple TV, with the Apple TV supporting AirPlay mirroring and streaming from iOS devices while the Roku delivers a number of additional content sources.

NewImage8.png

Article Link: Comparison Chart of Chromecast, Apple TV and Roku Content Options

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Love my Roku 3 more than my Apple TV, that's for sure. I doubt it'll be long before YouTube comes to the Roku as well.

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
Not a very useful comparison since it ignores the casting function on the Chromecast and AirPlay. And even if it mentioned the existence of these services, it still wouldn't get to the issue of the difference between Google Cast and AirPlay.

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
AirPlay makes the appleTV vastly superior than the others as long as you have Macs or iOS devices. Second place goes to Roku for making a pretty decent device. Chromecast is pure garbage.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
Is airplay with video content high-quality? I definitely notice Airplay compression when sending an Apple TV computer screen content (at moments of transitions between screens, for example). But maybe with pure video it's pretty solid?

Would love t see Amazon Prime video on Apple TV. Would also love to see apps in general, it seems, well, kind of ridiculous it doesn't have apps already. Although admittedly, a well-designed iOS app really can essentially be an AppleTV app, with Airplay done well.

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
Love using Airplay to send my music to my big tower speakers.

Does Chromecast work the same? (but you must have Android device?)

fivetoedbear

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2013
It might be worth noting that Roku still sells a box that supports composite video. (Though their newest offering is HDMI-only.)

Not everybody has or needs a new HDTV.

Edit: ...And Roku has the cheapest boxes that come with a remote.

I like to think about "required accessories", which could mean buying an HDTV, or in Chromecast's case, buying an iPod Touch for your guests to use as a remote. $35 box with a $229 remote?

curmudgeon32

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
These things are so cheap, you don't need to have just one. I use Apple TV like 95% of the time, but switch to my old 1st gen. Roku if I need to do an Amazon rental or something.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
It's a bit of an arbitrary comparison in that chart, given no mention is made of Airplay or Home Sharing (or presumably other features on the other devices).

Plus, it's quite US-centric, no Hulu Plus, HBO Go or Amazon Prime here, so they're much more 'level'.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
It's a bit of an arbitrary comparison in that chart, given no mention is made of Airplay or Home Sharing (or presumably other features on the other devices).

Plus, it's quite US-centric, no Hulu Plus, HBO Go or Amazon Prime here, so they're much more 'level'.

agreed should be some sort of screen sharing comparision as well.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
It might be worth noting that Roku still sells a box that supports composite video. (Though their newest offering is HDMI-only.)

Not everybody has or needs a new HDTV.

Edit: ...And Roku has the cheapest boxes that come with a remote.

I like to think about "required accessories", which could mean buying an HDTV, or in Chromecast's case, buying an iPod Touch for your guests to use as a remote. $35 box with a $229 remote?

I told a co-worker to get an Apple TV. They have an older set, and went with the Roku. It's connected with those wonderful Yellow/Red/White cables.

After using their Roku, I went out and got my mom one (and logged her into my Netflix account). My wife then got me a Roku.

They're really nice. The remote is Bluetooth, and not line-of-sight IR like the Apple TV, that's another plus.

I have no idea why they don't have YouTube, though. :(

megakilo

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2008
The main advantage of Chromecast is cross-platform with Chrome browser. It also has free public SDK enabling more usage models in the future.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Wow, 20% of the functionality for 1/3 the price of ATV... No wonder all the cheapskates are falling all over themselves for this thing. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
While reading up about this, I just read Sky (an investor in Roku) have just launched the Now TV box; which looks like a cut-down Roku box; but for just £9.99! (not aware of non-UK pricing)

Soon, they'll be paying us to take them.

Ethere

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2009
Central PA
Wow, 20% of the functionality for 1/3 the price of ATV... No wonder all the cheapskates are falling all over themselves for this thing. :)

The Chromecast is great for $35 bucks. Just the fact I can use a tab from Chrome and shoot it up on the TV is worth that much. Hell, some HDMI cables themselves cost $35.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Merge Chromecast's formfactor w/ Roku's feature set with Apple's AirPlay and you'd have the perfect streamer.

But as-is all 3 are lacking in either content or portability.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
They all need a browser option.

ATV already has one -- you can mirror your device's browser to the screen, if so inclined. have never found this useful, however. prefer using the device to browser, and never need an audience.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
The problem I have with the device is that it misses in a really critical market. The business presentations. Seriously, if I could put this into my conference room and be able the throw up my PowerPoint presentations onto it, that would be great! Even better is when we have 20 people in the room each giving their own little presentations and have to switch from one person's computer to another -- we do this now by passing around a long HDMI cable. :(

Second thing they need to make happen is integration with GoToMeeting and WebEx. Again, really makes it easier to share a webex meeting that way.

As for it's current use. Sharing my laptop's browser window? Meh. Seriously if I'm pulling up the video on my laptop, I'll just watch it there, rarely do I have to show it to others. When I do share with others, I just show them my laptop screen. If I want to stream movies from Netflix, I don't want to be bothered with my laptop or iPad, or iPhone (Thus Roku or ATV). Besides having the laptop 1.5' from me is almost the same as my 50" 12' from me.

I think it's a nice little device, but seems out of place for what it should be doing.

richardsonrs

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Should be a yes next to apple iTunes for roku. I stream my iTunes library to my tv anytime I want through plex in my roku. Music and movies.

tommyminahan

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
I got a Roku for our second tv set, instead of getting another ATV.
having used both, i can say the ATV GUI is much nicer than roku, but the roku has more things that i want (amazonprime)
At first i thought the roku was the end of my itunes sharing, but then i discovered Plex streaming server, and that runs in the background on my mac, and allows me full access to my music and video library.

So, its a tossup really between roku and apple to me.

I can't imagine anyone would want to spend $35 dollars just to watch netflix...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

Because it works cross platform, it wasn't just "cheapskates" as you seem to call them so intelligently.

It was a great deal when they offered Netflix for 3 months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.