Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshhedge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
I've noticed that when browsing Macrumors my dGPU in the rPro kicks into use rather than the iGPU, but immediately when switching to the forum the iGPU returns to use.

I'm just wondering is this necessary as sites like TheVerge and Anandtech don't even require the dGPU to render.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I've noticed that when browsing Macrumors my dGPU in the rPro kicks into use rather than the iGPU, but immediately when switching to the forum the iGPU returns to use.

I'm just wondering is this necessary as sites like TheVerge and Anandtech don't even require the dGPU to render.

Well there are a lot of YouTube videos on MacRumours' front pages, so your Mac detects that and auto-changes to the dedicated GPU.

It's not MR, it's how your Mac works. If it annoys you that much, get gfxCardStatus and force it to the internal GPU.

padapada

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010

Read this, especially the clicktoplugin setting...

joshhedge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Well there are a lot of YouTube videos on MacRumours' front pages, so your Mac detects that and auto-changes to the dedicated GPU.

It's not MR, it's how your Mac works. If it annoys you that much, get gfxCardStatus and force it to the internal GPU.

I do use gfxCardStatus and it appears to be bugging at bit for me, not sticking on Integrated only and remaining on dynamic switching on further investigation, could be causing it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.