Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After integrating Google+ Local features into its Google Maps application, Google is planning to retire the Google+ Local app for iOS on August 7 and has already removed it from the App Store.

googlelocal.jpg
The company sent out an email yesterday announcing the news:
Hello,
We're emailing to announce that the Google+ Local app for iOS will be retired on August 7th, 2013.
The good news is that all features in the Google+ Local app are now available in Google Maps for Mobile on iOS devices.

- Search by categories of places, like "restaurants" or "coffee shops"
- Read place information, including written reviews, average price, address and Street View (where available)
- See what people in your Google+ circles have to say about their favorite places around the world
- Rate and review places you've been to
- Share places, locations and businesses you find
According to the email, users of the app will no longer be able to access content within the app as of August 7, though reviews and ratings that have been made will be available via Google+ profiles and in the Google Maps iOS app.

Google Maps is a free app that can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Removes Google+ Local App From the App Store Following Integration into Google Maps

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
The good news is that all features in the Google+ Local app are now available in Google Maps for Mobile on iOS devices.

Phew! Thank heavens! Google will be pushing that G+ rock up the hill until the end of time... :rolleyes:

Gubbz

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
Perth, Australia
I'm surprised the CEO didn't announce to the media that it was Apple's decision to remove it, he kept making it sound like Apple was keeping them out of the App Store even when they hadn't submitted an app.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Oh no, not my 5th option ;-)
Tighter integration with maps is the only way I'll find myself using G+ (even then it's pretty unlikely) and I suspect the same is true for many of my friends. Surely a good move from google

----------

...Why does a map app need social features?

If you have to ask...

No, I don't really know either. It doesn't, but people seem to like it.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
If you have to ask...

No, I don't really know either. It doesn't, but people seem to like it.

"Hey, you should join Google+ so I can add you"

"Okay, but what G+ app do I download?"

"Oh yeah, just download the Google Maps app"

"..."

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Phew! Thank heavens! Google will be pushing that G+ rock up the hill until the end of time... :rolleyes:

While I agree with the sentiment behind your comment... at least this is a case where combining the features actually made some sense. And, unlike most Google+ related news over the past two years, the move went the other way. Usually they shut down some useful app/project and declare "but you can now do the same thing (sort of) in Google+!"

Of course Google Maps is probably something they can't afford to screw up - but I'm sure the idea of sucking it into Google+ in an attempt to make the latter more relevant has at least been discussed...

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
It's built into Google Maps now. Why can't you continue to use it?

It has no sorting options, the best part of local app, see what is open now 5 miles away. And yes, yelp, but yelp does not have a lot of the locations in my area, google however does.

Just another service I can stop using google for, their loss.

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
It has no sorting options, the best part of local app, see what is open now 5 miles away. And yes, yelp, but yelp does not have a lot of the locations in my area, google however does.

Just another service I can stop using google for, their loss.

Sounds more like you don't know how to use the service that is now in maps.

I guess to me that sounds more like your loss than Googles.

Try Googling it instead of complaining about it in a MacRumors room that will never be seen by Google.

Your loss, not Google's.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Sounds more like you don't know how to use the service that is now in maps.

I guess to me that sounds more like your loss than Googles.

Try Googling it instead of complaining about it in a MacRumors room that will never be seen by Google.

Your loss, not Google's.

I have definitely tried using the google maps app and it feels more of an after thought the local integration.

It is googles loss, my data is advertising for them. ESPECIALLY location.
I am not complaining, simply stating the maps app is not a equal or better replacement to local.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.