Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onirocdarb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
I am looking for a USB blu ray player I can hook up to my computer but the ones I have seen on Amazon say that they are only compatible on windows. The speed doesn't really matter to me. If you could tell me what brand and model it is that would be great!

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I am looking for a USB blu ray player I can hook up to my computer but the ones I have seen on Amazon say that they are only compatible on windows. The speed doesn't really matter to me. If you could tell me what brand and model it is that would be great!

Check out MacMall and OWC.

I have an external from the latter and it offers both FW and USB2 etc.

eliehass

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
I have a plextor USB blu ray frive connected to my iMac. I'm not sure what the model number is. As long as you have the right software, it works fine.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I have an LG that works great. It's USB 3.0 and it was basically plug and play. The only thing you need it's a Blu-ray player app to decode the stream from the player because OSX does not have and never will have, a codec for Blu-ray.

onirocdarb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
How much did yours cost?
Also I plan on ripping the discs and putting them on my ipad or on my apple tv. It should work with MakeMKV and then encoded to .mp4 with handbrake, right?

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
How much did yours cost?
Also I plan on ripping the discs and putting them on my ipad or on my apple tv. It should work with MakeMKV and then encoded to .mp4 with handbrake, right?

If you're asking me, mine was a bit pricey because I wanted read/write capabilities. I also prefer to spend a bit more to get good quality. When I bought it it was on sale at $139, it's $169 now but it really is a fantastic device and works flawlessly with my rMBP.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-BE14NU40-E...7&sr=8-12&keywords=lg+external+blu-ray+burner

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

I have this one from Amazon, it's $35 and works fine for ripping Blu-Ray and DVD discs - which is all I've ever used it for.

http://amzn.com/B001QA2Y9S

TopB

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2012
How much did yours cost?

Yep, thats what I do, works fine just takes a few hours to do.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado

I just recently picked up one of these to use with my iMac. Very nice unit if you only need blu ray play capability. This seller was reliable and the unit was in very good condition. And it matches the aluminum finish of the Mac very well. Been using it to rip BDs with Handbrake.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/531372-555-HP-USB-2-0-Blu-Ray...

P.S. From my experience, any standard USB optical drive will work with OS X. Even the ones that list only Windows compatibility.

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
I bought one off ebay for $20, works great.

I opened it up and its a hitachi drive in a generic enclosure. So unless you have bad luck, most USB drives will work.

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
I picked up my blu-ray from OWC. I use firewire (partly so I can daisy chain it, partly because I do not have USB3 or a free USB2 port) but it has multiple interfaces. including USB. I did splurge a bit on it and bought a high-priced model but there are cheep ones there as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.