Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arctyler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
I synced my iphone 4s and I have it set so it backs up automatically when I plug it in, so I have it backed up and all, so last week I decided to try IOS7, so I backed it all up the 18th, and also upgraded to ios7, then i imported all my pictures i yanked off of my 4s, and 1st they were all messed up in order, cant delete them just normal ios7 bugs, no biggie, so i live with it for a week till i just cant take the missed calls bug, after waiting for beta 4 for the week, i update it to 6.1.3 because i cant take it, and its stuck in restore mode, so i do a clean restore cause i figured i have everything backed up, and just incase i have my contacts synced to a app and my photos backed up on my computer, i set up as new iphone, click restore to a backup, then click june 18th, and boom look at that it brought me all the way back to like december 2012, even though the backup says the 18th, so im pissed now, so i try some other backups, still nothing, restore the whole phone again, set up as new, downloaded a few backup extractors trying to find if i can save some of my data, and they all say i have nothing on the backups, so now im trying to find all of my old apps, installing all of my songs again, but first i got to go through them and select the ones i had on before since i have over 4000 songs, then when i have that all done, i have to find a way to sync my photos back on IN ORDER and on my CAMERA ROLL, then redownload all my contacts from my app backup, and i also will lose all app data, browsing data and messages, so thats what im doing for the next few hours, and im about to throw this phone out the window, and go buy a s4 without apples broken software

Last edited by a moderator:

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
Holy mother of text Batman! :eek:
0246.wall%2520of%2520text.png-610x0.png

Sorry to hear you having trouble, I tried to decipher your issue but couldn't through that wall of text above :(

Perhaps you could reformat the OP with more periods and paragraphs? :)

Last edited:

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
I synced my iphone 4s and I have it set so it backs up automatically when I plug it in, so I have it backed up and all, so last week I decided to try IOS7, so I backed it all up the 18th, and also upgraded to ios7, then i imported all my pictures i yanked off of my 4s, and 1st they were all messed up in order, cant delete them just normal ios7 bugs, no biggie, so i live with it for a week till i just cant take the missed calls bug, after waiting for beta 4 for the week, i update it to 6.1.3 because i cant take it, and its stuck in restore mode, so i do a clean restore cause i figured i have everything backed up, and just incase i have my contacts synced to a app and my photos backed up on my computer, i set up as new iphone, click restore to a backup, then click june 18th, and boom look at that it brought me all the way back to like december 2012, even though the backup says the 18th, so im pissed now, so i try some other backups, still nothing, restore the whole phone again, set up as new, downloaded a few backup extractors trying to find if i can save some of my data, and they all say i have nothing on the backups, so now im trying to find all of my old apps, installing all of my songs again, but first i got to go through them and select the ones i had on before since i have over 4000 songs, then when i have that all done, i have to find a way to sync my photos back on IN ORDER and on my CAMERA ROLL, then redownload all my contacts from my app backup, and i also will lose all app data, browsing data and messages, so thats what im doing for the next few hours, and im about to throw this phone out the window, and go buy a s4 without apples broken software

You should have not updated to iOS 7. It's not apples fault for you updating to a firmware your not supposed to be on. It's for developers obviously.

You messed up your iPhone. You should have planned for this before hand...
And dude you really have to cut it out with you explicit language. I know your mad.

You can turn iCloud for your contacts, calendars and backups. But it looks like you don't use those.
I am not trying to be against you. Ask me any question you want. I will answer it my best ASAP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
If you're not a developer, you shouldn't have updated. It's not Apple's fault - you have only yourself to blame. That's a real bummer though. :-/

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
So what I got from your really long sentence was that you updated to beta software, and then get upset when it has problems. I'm pretty sure if you use beta versions of android you'll have just as many if not more problems.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Ok so this guy updates to iOS 7 has issues. That is to be expected it is a beta, and yes he should have known that. The only problem I have is that Apple will let anyone pay $99 and download iOS 7 beta. So saying it is not Apple well I guess is true, but I don't think he is blaming iOS 7 is he? I think he is more mad at what happened after he went back to iOS 6.1.3. The problems came from backing up. Now that may or may not be Apples fault. I have has issues with backups before too with my ipad. Going right to "it is not Apples fault" is kind of crazy. They are not perfect. He made a mistake downloading iOS 7, but the backup issues have nothing to do with that.

Last edited:

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Besides not being able to form complete and understandable sentences I see you also have a problem with your OS. You updated to a beta os and are now upset that YOU messed up your phone and are now going to switch to another os. Cool, see ya later and don't let the door hit ya if you know what I mean.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Ok so this guy updates to iOS 7 has issues. That is to be expected it is a beta, and yes he should have known that. The only problem I have is that Apple will let anyone pay $99 and download iOS 7 beta. So saying it is not Apple well I guess is true, but I don't think he is blaming iOS 7 is he? I think he is more mad at what happened after he went back to iOS 6.1.3. The problems came from backing up. Now that may or may not be Apples fault. I have has issues with backups before too with my ipad. Going right to "it is not Apples fault" is kind of crazy. They are not perfect. He made a mistake downloading iOS 7, but the backup issues have nothing to do with that.

This. I was about to tell OP he was in the wrong but the more I think about it, assuming he did all the backup processes the way he described, I feel like it is Apple's fault. Obviously installing beta software was a stupid idea if you weren't prepared for the chance that it could brick your phone. But the real issue here is that when he got back to iOS 6 and it was working FINE, he couldn't get the proper backup to load. Again, assuming he backed up properly and attempted to restore from said backup, then this is an issue of Apple's end and that sucks for OP.

In the end though, don't tinker with Beta software on your primary device, and if you do - expect the worst.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
This. I was about to tell OP he was in the wrong but the more I think about it, assuming he did all the backup processes the way he described, I feel like it is Apple's fault. Obviously installing beta software was a stupid idea if you weren't prepared for the chance that it could brick your phone. But the real issue here is that when he got back to iOS 6 and it was working FINE, he couldn't get the proper backup to load. Again, assuming he backed up properly and attempted to restore from said backup, then this is an issue of Apple's end and that sucks for OP.

In the end though, don't tinker with Beta software on your primary device, and if you do - expect the worst.

Yes, but having the default answer as "it's not Apples fault" is stupid. I agree with you, but these first posts were just unneeded, and blaming the user for everything is dumb. Sure iOS 7 is not the smartest thing to download if you are not a developer and don't have another phone, but backups being gone at snot the users fault.

Last edited:

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Within all the mess is an issue that I have seen. iTunes backups are not very reliable. I hope they are working on that.

But OP, seriously....if you delete all your stuff from an Android phone, it will not magically come back, either. This is also true for stuff in computers, gasoline in cars, food in the fridge, and clean clothes in your drawer.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
itunes is buggy as hell, but this would be a reason not to update to beta OS versions unless you're a developer. Why do people think running beta products for day to day use is a good idea?

Their backups have always been bad, so that is a valid concern. There's probably a better way to approach these things in general. I don't think it matters whether the OP switches phone brands, but I would hope either way he learns not to treat beta software like a stable release.

blue43fan

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
If your phone automatically backed up to iCloud after you updated to iOS 7 (beta!) I don't believe you can use that backup on an older version of the software. You may have to update to iOS 7 (beta!), restore from backup, and just ride out the usual beta bugs. At least you'll have your stuff (probably).

By the way, I'm currently using iOS 7 (beta!) on my personal phone, but I know and accept the risks associated with running pre-release software. Beta 3 has been pretty solid for me, but it's clearly still a beta. I have had no problems with iCloud backups or restores with iOS 7 (beta!).

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
You should have not updated to iOS 7. It's not apples fault for you updating to a firmware your not supposed to be on. It's for developers obviously.

It doesn't sound like this specifically had to so with iOS 7 at all. He restored to 6.1.3 and tries tiger his backup working, but it didn't. iOS 7 just happened to be the reason he needed the backup to begin with. From his description it sounds like this would have happened had he just restored without ever going to ios7 in the first place.

----------

If your phone automatically backed up to iCloud after you updated to iOS 7 (beta!) I don't believe you can use that backup on an older version of the software. You may have to update to iOS 7 (beta!), restore from backup, and just ride out the usual beta bugs. At least you'll have your stuff (probably).
He stated he tried some other older backups which also did not work for him. Previously existing backups, if they exist, which they seem to based on the OP, remain untouched.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'm not a developer, therefore I won't download iOS 7 until it is ready for release. The point of a beta test is to iron out the bugs, by those best qualified to spot them and deal with them.
To the OP good luck with Android. From all the coming back to iPhone threads I read on hear, I guess we will be hearing from you soon.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
That sucks and I'd be pissed too but Apple does advise devs not to install the beta on their main device

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
A friend of mine drove his car without using his seatbelt, got into a somewhat minor fender bender and sustained whiplash.

He blames his neck hurting on Ford (even though Ford explicitly states he should always wear his seatbelt).

I feel terrible his neck hurts but also believe he is focusing blame on the wrong entity.

Same with the OP.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I synced my iphone 4s and I have it set so it backs up automatically when I plug it in, so I have it backed up and all, so last week I decided to try IOS7,

you decided to upgrade to preview software and you're pissed that it was screwy.

Bet you aren't a developer either. That would explain how you could not know about the bugs going around or that downgrading is 100% not guaranteed and so on.

----------

They actually can be downgraded back to iOS 6.

Some folks have gotten it to work but its not an endorsed action by Apple so they take no responsibility for it working.

This is part of why that warning and the one about not putting the preview on your daily use devices is there. The reason the preview exists is for you to load it on a test device to run your app and make sure it works okay. If not you can have the update ready before iOS 7 'hits the shelves'. NOT for you to put it on your main phone etc and bork them up.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Please stop with the "iOS 7 is a beta you should know better". It has nothing to do with iOS 7. The backup before iOS 7 was what screwed up. Give it a rest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.