Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StressedSnowCat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
Was anyone else disappointing? :) I was sooo looking forward to it. Why didn't they call it OSX Cougar? I think Mavericks sounds weird.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Was anyone else disappointing? :) I was sooo looking forward to it. Why didn't they call it OSX Cougar? I think Mavericks sounds weird.

It's already been done before. Puma, Panther and Mountain Lion are all names for Cougar.

They chose a different naming convention to denote a change in how they are doing things.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
It would have been great marketing for Apple. A mature operating system for the younger users.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Someone also recently mentioned that "cats only have nine lives," and Mountain Lion represents the 9th iteration of OSX. Seems fitting, then, to change themes.

StressedSnowCat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
OS X Cougar "Comes with Siri Cougar Edition and if you ever feel lonely there's a 'Find my Cougar' App that you can download from the App Store!"

And next year: OS X Sugar Daddy

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
This was the perfect time to switch to non-cat names. With more attention being paid to Apple's (perfectly legal) offshore monies, it was a great opportunity to start manufacturing in the US (the Mac Pro) and to name OS X after US landmarks, in this case California landmarks. Maybe this helps to get congress off their back a little bit.

HitchHykr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Virginia
I am a female. I didn't say there was only room for one cougar in my house, I wrote there was only room for one middle-aged woman in my house. ;) I am not a cougar either, for the record. :)

Her and no pool, sadly.

It's dangerous to make assumptions about the anatomic composition of the posters, girls/women must hate it when it happens which must be often.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
This was the perfect time to switch to non-cat names. With more attention being paid to Apple's (perfectly legal) offshore monies, it was a great opportunity to start manufacturing in the US (the Mac Pro) and to name OS X after US landmarks, in this case California landmarks. Maybe this helps to get congress off their back a little bit.

1859.gif

:p

In all seriousness, I don't give a crap about their creative accounting, but I also don't give a crap about how American they are. I think this new marketing angle is stupid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.