Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jshlosman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
Hello Everyone,

I need a little advice and assistance. I used to administer OS X Servers in ages past for School Districts (Panther and Jaguar), yes I know that dates me.

Anyway, we are installing a Mac Mini (10.8 Server) in our small business and I have some questions about the directory services.

We are setting up three iMacs (one with parallels to run QB Pro) and two laptops. I want to bind the iMacs, and that is a no brainer. However, I have a question about the laptops...:confused: How do I set them up to function outside of the network and then update changes when they sign back on to the network.

I would appreciate ideas, thanks.:D

rlkarren

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2013
Portable Home directories, (PHD's). (Windows calls them Roaming profiles). However they work much better in Mac OS X.

Without getting into too much detail that I really can't remember, just search for PHD's and you'll find many tutorials.

PHD's are set up in Workgroup Manager. They can be setup by User or by Machine.

rlk

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Portable Home directories, (PHD's). (Windows calls them Roaming profiles). However they work much better in Mac OS X.

Without getting into too much detail that I really can't remember, just search for PHD's and you'll find many tutorials.

PHD's are set up in Workgroup Manager. They can be setup by User or by Machine.

rlk

I was going to suggest the same thing. We use PHDs (aka mobile homes) in the school district I work for. One note: when logging in or out at work, it might take a while to sync, especially if they have a lot of multimedia files (i.e. music, pictures, movies and some PowerPoints/Keynote presentations). With having to copy large files or even lots of any size files, it might take a few minutes to sync.

alexrmc92

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2013
I was going to suggest the same thing. We use PHDs (aka mobile homes) in the school district I work for. One note: when logging in or out at work, it might take a while to sync, especially if they have a lot of multimedia files (i.e. music, pictures, movies and some PowerPoints/Keynote presentations). With having to copy large files or even lots of any size files, it might take a few minutes to sync.

you can disable sync on login / logout and restrict it to only while the session is active. This allows instant logins/logouts. Large files can take over a hour to sync in some cases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.