Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which iPhone would you buy?

• 4" Screen

Votes: 26 13.6%
  • 4.3" Screen

Votes: 40 20.9%
  • 4.5" Screen

Votes: 35 18.3%
  • 4.7" Screen

Votes: 39 20.4%
  • 5" Screen

Votes: 33 17.3%
  • 5.1+" Screen

Votes: 18 9.4%

• Total voters

GBR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
If Apple launched the iPhone 5s today and offered it in these screen sizes, which would you pick? This isn't which screen size Apple should build, this is if Apple actually built the iPhone in all these sizes (which I know they never would) which would you buy?

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Should have included 4.3 inch if in same form factor, than I would have checked it. If wider however, than I would check 4 inch screen

GBR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
I picked the 5" screen, originally I thought that is way to large but since I've been also using a GS4 I have fallen in love with that size. Every time I switch back to my iPhone 5 it feels tiny. Also, with the changes to iOS7 and being able to swipe to go back it eliminates the largest reason to have to access the top left portion of the screen.

----------

Should have included 4.3 if in same form factor, than I would have checked it. If wider, than I would check 4 inch screen

I would assume, knowing Apple and their obsession with slimmer and slimmer bezels and thinner phones, that if they could fit the 4.3" in the same sized phone they would absolutely do that rather than make the phone larger.

tazuki

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2013
GBR said:
I would assume, knowing Apple and their obsession with slimmer and slimmer bezels and thinner phones, that if they could fit the 4.3" in the same sized phone they would absolutely do that rather than make the phone larger.

I believe the next iphone will keep the same size and have a bigger screen.

And I think apple wants this since iphone 5 (hence the design on its back), but igzo wasn't ready...

uij2.png

GBR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012

And I think apple wants this since iphone 5 (hence the design on its back), but igzo wasn't ready...

I hadn't thought about how that would matchup with the back of the iPhone 5, interesting...

I just don't think at this stage of the game 4.3" is big enough, especially with the 'mini' versions of the flagship Android phones being that size...

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
4.3 inch if same form factor (tall), otherwise 4 inches.

I hope apple doesn't kill the 4-inch screen on the top premium device because I love the screen size. It's perfect for me.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I just went from an iPhone 4S to a HTC One. The One has a 4.7 inch screen. While it is very nice, it is too large for me to operate one handed most of the time. I think a 4.3 inch screen would be perfect for me. YMMV.

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
A 4.3-4.5" display with at least 720p, and I would be content. However, I do like the current 4" screen, just wouldn't mind having something a tad bigger.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
A 5" iPhone would be incredible, it's just disappointing that we are probably over a year away from seeing it released if they ever do release one.

jread

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Austin, TX
I would like something larger. The only reason I even have an iPad is that the iPhone 5 is difficult for me to use with my big fingers. If the iPhone were a 4.5-5" screen, I would have no reason to have an iPad.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Impossible for me to say, honestly. I'd have to see the phone. I would also have to know what Apple plans to do to allow apps to work on all of these new resolutions and form factors. I would LIKE something larger, but if that means not using my favorite apps, a larger phone is useless if all I get is easier web page browsing.

-iKris-

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
England
I'll be going from a 4S so the screen will seem pretty big for me. But if I had all those options to choose from, and they were all equally well designed, I'd go for the 4.3.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I would want the 4.5 or 4.7. Had androids this size and it is perfect. The iPhone just needs to be a little wider that is all.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
I voted 4.7" to match the HTC One.

Can't see myself ever wanting a larger display than that on a phone.

If I did feel the need for an even bigger device (which I may at some point) I'd buy a tablet in addition.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
I voted 4.7" to match the HTC One.

Can't see myself ever wanting a larger display than that on a phone.

If I did feel the need for an even bigger device (which I may at some point) I'd buy a tablet in addition.

Same here, the 4.7" is more than enough :rolleyes:

chrisaster

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
4.3 same form factor as now - touch wider less bezel

I am currently on a 4.7 inch phone and jump back and forth to iphone4.... The smaller phone does feel better and more like a phone.

The extra screen space doesn't come handy when reading since I still look at the same portion of screen.

That is a great design btw but it won't happen because the 16:9 aspect ratio will be changed !

What Aspect Ratios are there above 16:9?

They will have to go wider if they go taller.... Sadly which I don't see them doing

On the other hand it would be great to see them lessen been anyway..

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
4.3 same form factor as now - touch wider less bezel

I am currently on a 4.7 inch phone and jump back and forth to iphone4.... The smaller phone does feel better and more like a phone.

The extra screen space doesn't come handy when reading since I still look at the same portion of screen.

That is a great design btw but it won't happen because the 16:9 aspect ratio will be changed !

What Aspect Ratios are there above 16:9?

They will have to go wider if they go taller.... Sadly which I don't see them doing

On the other hand it would be great to see them lessen been anyway..

Galaxy Note I was 16:10

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.