Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aucun Express

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Hi all,

Do you think that it is currently possible (with today's technology) to make an edgeless iPhone (or iPad)? I am talking of course only about the left and right edges, as seen below:

iphone-5-concept-teardrop.jpg

iPhone-Air-05.jpg

When looking at current iPhones (and iPad and iPod, etc.), the screen has always a small 1mm border, then the bezel. I wonder if it possible to remove both. Are there some other products with an edgeless or bezel free screen?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Hi all,

Do you think that it is currently possible (with today's technology) to make an edgeless iPhone (or iPad)? I am talking of course only about the left and right edges, as seen below:

When looking at current iPhones (and iPad and iPod, etc.), the screen has always a small 1mm border, then the bezel. I wonder if it possible to remove both. Are there some other products with an edgeless or bezel free screen?

How would you hold it without frequently (accidentally) touching an app icon or some other unintentional action?

Aucun Express

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Try to tap on the left and right edges of your iPhone's screen, even if you are pretty inside the screen, you will not "activate a tap", as it sees that you are near from the left and right edges.
From my perspective, I'd say it is feasible (on paper at least). My question is, is it possible in terms of manufacturing?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
How would you hold it without frequently (accidentally) touching an app icon or some other unintentional action?
You're holding it wrong! :D

Seriously though, I hold my phones by gripping the sides with my left hand (I'm right handed) and using my right hand to touch the screen. None of my fingers ever touch the screen because I am gripping the sides. And this is without the hypothetical edge to edge screen.

But that's just me. I guess some people hold the phone by putting or resting their fingers on the bezel?

----------

Just doesn't look right edge to edge. Needs a little bezel

I'm the opposite way. Edge to edge would be nice. Apple's been getting away with thick bezels for some time now on some of their products (iPhone excluded). Just compare the bezel of the MacBook Pros to the bezels of the PowerBooks. No comparison.

iAlphard

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2012
Less bezel means even less protection for the screen when the phone takes impact from the side. Not good. Less durability too.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
You're holding it wrong! :D

Seriously though, I hold my phones by gripping the sides with my left hand (I'm right handed) and using my right hand to touch the screen. None of my fingers ever touch the screen because I am gripping the sides. And this is without the hypothetical edge to edge screen.

But that's just me. I guess some people hold the phone by putting or resting their fingers on the bezel?

Actually, I hold the phone as you do (except other hand...I'm a lefty), so it shouldn't be an issue for me either. I was thinking of those who do tend to wrap their fingers around the phone and folks with bigger or ...ah....meatier hands.

So...fie on you...I'm holding it right!:cool:

;)

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
It's the reason I'm not really into iPads. They still seem very bulky to me. They're huge machines you have to haul around.

They're not that huge. It's a lot better than lugging a laptop around. But I can see where you're coming from if you depend on the phone a lot like I used to. Maybe a mini might be nice for you.

vahalla

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2013
They're not that huge. It's a lot better than lugging a laptop around. But I can see where you're coming from if you depend on the phone a lot like I used to. Maybe a mini might be nice for you.

I only have a MacBook Air, and with the capabilities it has, it's definitely worth it. I wouldn't buy a rPro as its too thick.

I've been thinking about the mini, but I'm not really into the iPad ecosystem. Like, I wouldn't really use it to my advantage.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Actually, I hold the phone as you do (except other hand...I'm a lefty), so it shouldn't be an issue for me either. I was thinking of those who do tend to wrap their fingers around the phone and folks with bigger or ...ah....meatier hands.

So...fie on you...I'm holding it right!:cool:

;)
LOL! You're holding it in the wrong hand then! :D

Just kidding! :)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
LOL! You're holding it in the wrong hand then! :D

There it is...LEFTISM! A horrible prejudice against left handed people. It's always there, right under the surface!

As a member of this oppressed minority I say each of us has to confront this horrible bias, look deep inside, and admit...I suffer from LEFTISM!

You can be forgiven, eyoungren, if you admit the prejudice...acknowledging a problem is the first step to a cure!

I just can't type with my right hand....:eek::(

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
There it is...LEFTISM! A horrible prejudice against left handed people. It's always there, right under the surface!

As a member of this oppressed minority I say each of us has to confront this horrible bias, look deep inside, and admit...I suffer from LEFTISM!

You can be forgiven, eyoungren, if you admit the prejudice...acknowledging a problem is the first step to a cure!

I just can't type with my right hand....:eek::(
LOL! Yes, I admit my bias. Hope you give me a pass though…my mom is left-handed. ;)

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Less bezel means even less protection for the screen when the phone takes impact from the side. Not good. Less durability too.

Not true. The glass on the current iPhone 5 extends edge to edge just like the one in the concept photo. The "bezel" is under the glass. No difference in durability or protection at all.

iAlphard

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2012
Not true. The glass on the current iPhone 5 extends edge to edge just like the one in the concept photo. The "bezel" is under the glass. No difference in durability or protection at all.

Of course there is still protection, but it will have lesser protection than the current iPhone.
With that design, the protection level at the side will become almost the same as the front.
Example, there is an impact on the side. On the current iPhone it will go : Impact - side aluminum - front bezel, which also means the space between the screen and aluminum and also the mass in it (rubber, another part, air) - screen.
But Without bezel, impact - side aluminum - direct to the side of the 4'' screen.

And durability, which mean i use iPhone often with 1 hand. So if there is no bezel, the fat part under my thumb finger can easily touch the screen. That is annoying. And if you have a case in it that has purpose to cover the aluminum side, whether you want it or not, it needs to snap on the front screen a little bit. And because of that you won't be able to use that 4'' screen at full.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Only way you might see an edgeless IPhone is if the first 1/16 of an inch of the screen around the entire IPhone is dead as far as touch goes. Keep in mind the bezel serves a purpose, first to allow for grip and second to protect the glass
One day we'll probably see it buy just not yet

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Of course there is still protection, but it will have lesser protection than the current iPhone.
With that design, the protection level at the side will become almost the same as the front.
Example, there is an impact on the side. On the current iPhone it will go : Impact - side aluminum - front bezel, which also means the space between the screen and aluminum and also the mass in it (rubber, another part, air) - screen.
But Without bezel, impact - side aluminum - direct to the side of the 4'' screen.

The display is glued to the glass. If you break one, you break both. There is no way to replace the glass without replacing the entire display, so your point is moot.

iAlphard

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2012
The display is glued to the glass. If you break one, you break both. There is no way to replace the glass without replacing the entire display, so your point is moot.

Of course if it breaks. What i was saying, that it is more prone to breaking without bezel than with one. Because with bezel if there is an impact from the side, the impact energy will first get spread through the bezel and the masses between the screen and side aluminum. I'm not talking about direct impact on the front screen here, but from the side.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

And durability, which mean i use iPhone often with 1 hand. So if there is no bezel, the fat part under my thumb finger can easily touch the screen. That is annoying. And if you have a case in it that has purpose to cover the aluminum side, whether you want it or not, it needs to snap on the front screen a little bit. And because of that you won't be able to use that 4'' screen at full.

The glass on the 5 is to the edge. The bezel doesn't matter. If the glass beaks, the screen breaks too. They are fused together. And even if they weren't, the glass would still be broken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.