Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Thought I'd try using Fluid for Google Music.

Works pretty good. About 70-80% of CPU on my G5 and that's with TenFourFox running in the background.

Attachments

• Finder.png
    Finder.png
    497.7 KB · Views: 156

MrPilot

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2013
Thought I'd try using Fluid for Google Music.

Works pretty good. About 70-80% of CPU on my G5 and that's with TenFourFox running in the background.

TFF is waaay too slow for my taste but it'll be nice when google music opens up in more countries, I'd like to try it :p

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
No, no no. Sorry guys! I used Fluid to create the app for Google Play. And that's what I was using. But I was running T4Fx at the same time as running the Google Play app I made using Fluid.

I wasn't using T4Fx for Google Music. That's way to intense to do that and still be able to browse.

Sorry for any confusion!

Attachments

• Google Music.png
    Google Music.png
    699.5 KB · Views: 101

Swampus

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2013
Winterfell
Nice tip. I was going to use your advice to create a Pandora app, but it seems to be working really nicely at the moment on my G4. The last time I tried it, it chewed up about 60% of the CPU, which seems like a lot just to listen to music. Today, though, it's working nicely at about 10%. I wonder if they've changed anything recently?

I always enjoy seeing your screen shots, btw. You've done a nice job customizing your interface.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Nice tip. I was going to use your advice to create a Pandora app, but it seems to be working really nicely at the moment on my G4. The last time I tried it, it chewed up about 60% of the CPU, which seems like a lot just to listen to music. Today, though, it's working nicely at about 10%. I wonder if they've changed anything recently?
I usually use Pandora Boy or Pandora Man for Pandora. Both work pretty well with low overhead. I prefer Pandora Boy though.

You can get them both here if you want.

I always enjoy seeing your screen shots, btw. You've done a nice job customizing your interface.
Thanks!

This particular desktop is my G5 though so nowhere near as customized as my PowerBook. I do share the same UI customization though as I do prefer the dark look. Unfortunately, the G5 is now hooked up to a sole 18" monitor at home, rather than the two 22" monitors that are at work.

It's a lame Gateway monitor that needs pressure on the screen to work, but it does work. :D

Have it hooked DVI into the G5 and VGA into a PC. I can switch between the two by pressing a button.

1280x800 though. Ugh!

Attachments

• 2013-07-27 15.01.34.jpg
    2013-07-27 15.01.34.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 103

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Is it the paid version where you can do overrides? Removing the header will make it feel more natural. :)

Here's my guide with the CSS override I posted over at the Alternative forums:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1586648/
???

Sorry if I sound stupid…overides? You mean overrides in Google Music?

I ask, because I don't know what you mean. I don't pay Google anything for this (never have) and I've never had an issue with playing any of my stuff. It's just like CD ripped music in iTunes. Play/Stop/Next/Previous/Pause, my own playists which I can create anywhere, no commercials, etc. It's all my music that's been uploaded.

I got into Google Music early in the beta test stage so maybe that's why? Or am I misunderstanding you?

Thanks for the userstyles tip!

EDIT: Did you mean Pandora?

If so, I've not ever had an issue of pressing the next button. But I don't press it that often so maybe that's why. Most of the stuff I listen to on Pandora is ambient music.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I was talking about the userstyles, I call them overrides, because that's basically what they are. :eek:

They only work if you have a Fluid license.
I believe licensing for that is a thing for 1.0 and above. I don't recall installing a license for 0.9.6 and the userscripts part all works, I use it to use a userstyle for my FB app.

Version 1.0 was listed as a complete rewrite according to the changelog.

EDIT: I looked at your link further and I see you are referring to userstyles? All 0.9.6 has is userscripts.
EDIT2: Nevermind, it does have userstyles. They're in Preferences and not the Window menu. Now I recall that I never seemed to be able to get it to work. Hmmm…

OK, cool, got it to work…removing the Google bar.

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I believe licensing for that is a thing for 1.0 and above. I don't recall installing a license for 0.9.6 and the userscripts part all works, I use it to use a userstyle for my FB app.

Version 1.0 was listed as a complete rewrite according to the changelog.

EDIT: I looked at your link further and I see you are referring to userstyles? All 0.9.6 has is userscripts.
EDIT2: Nevermind, it does have userstyles. They're in Preferences and not the Window menu. Now I recall that I never seemed to be able to get it to work. Hmmm…

OK, cool, got it to work…removing the Google bar.

Nice that you got it to work. :D And yeah, that is probably because this isn't a 1.0 build of Fluid. I don't remember hearing about it until the Lion days.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Nice that you got it to work. :D And yeah, that is probably because this isn't a 1.0 build of Fluid. I don't remember hearing about it until the Lion days.
Well, let's just say that the first time I saw it was at Versiontracker.com. It was in beta, which is what the 0.X.X builds are.

Versiontracker of course was bought out by CNET.

Now that I've revealed just how ancient I am… :D

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I remember when it was bought out. Sad times that was. :mad:
Yeah, and what made that worse is that even though CNET will show you an older version of an app, when you go to download it, it ALWAYS defaults to the most current version. You cannot find any PowerPC apps on CNET now unless the latest version was PowerPC or Universal.

I'm not a big fan of CNET over this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.