Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mary86004

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
I just bought a mac mini but it hasn't arrived yet. I am looking for a monitor. I was hoping for one that had a built in web cam, mic and speakers for around $200.

I found some and one brand's web cam didn't work with mac. Another had the webcam and microphone. Some that had all the features that I wanted were over 24 inches. I don't know whether it is best to buy all this separately or if anyone knows of one that would work.

I would like 18.5 - 21 inches.
I am not going to watch dvds or use it like a tv. I am used to having an imac from 2006 and the quality is fine. I use the computer for email, internet, office documents. I would like to be able to use skype.

If you have an info for me, I'm thanking you in advance. It has been a long afternoon and I haven't found anything.

scbond

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2010
Nottingham, UK
Can't recommend any for the size of screen you want but I would say to avoid built-in speakers and webcams like the plague. If you aren't bothered about audio quality then just grab some cheap speakers as they'll be much better than built-in ones, they'll be easier to use and if they stop working you only need replace them. As for the webcam, as you've found, compatibility is the issue. Again, if you aren't after high quality then a cheap USB webcam and software such as Macam should do the trick.

mary86004

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
thanks

Thanks. That all sounds good. I might as well get a monitor that I like and just buy separately those items that are easily replaced.
Do you happen to know when you buy a webcam if it comes with a microphone built into the unit or if I have to buy a separate microphone?

macman05

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
I just bought a mac mini but it hasn't arrived yet. I am looking for a monitor. I was hoping for one that had a built in web cam, mic and speakers for around $200.

I found some and one brand's web cam didn't work with mac. Another had the webcam and microphone. Some that had all the features that I wanted were over 24 inches. I don't know whether it is best to buy all this separately or if anyone knows of one that would work.

I am not going to watch dvds or use it like a tv. I am used to having an imac from 2006 and the quality is fine. I use the computer for email, internet, office documents. I would like to be able to use skype.

If you have an info for me, I'm thanking you in advance. It has been a long afternoon and I haven't found anything.

Check out this thread;

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1523522/

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
I'm using a pair of Acer S230HL monitors, one for the mac mini and one for my hackintosh (osx/windows/linux). Nice monitor for the price, higher resolution would have been nice but I can live with 1920x1080.

I think I paid around $150 apiece at Walmart.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Can't recommend any for the size of screen you want but I would say to avoid built-in speakers and webcams like the plague. If you aren't bothered about audio quality then just grab some cheap speakers as they'll be much better than built-in ones, they'll be easier to use and if they stop working you only need replace them. As for the webcam, as you've found, compatibility is the issue. Again, if you aren't after high quality then a cheap USB webcam and software such as Macam should do the trick.

Yup, built in speakers or webcam at that price are going to be garbage.

For my Mini I got an AOC i2367 23" display on Amazon for about $160, the mount/base is a bit flimsy but the display quality is awesome.

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011

How many hours do you spend each day on the computer? If it is a full day's work then I suggest to investigate a quality monitor rather than the cheapest junk. Your eyes will love you for it and if you get one that has no PWM for backlighting then you'll sleep better too if you use it in the evenings. But it cost a lot more. However a good monitor will outlast your computer (or two or three or even four computers).

(these days the background lighting is no longer done by CFL but by LED's and they have problems of their own hence the non PWM backlighting recommendation)

mary86004

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
what to look for

How many hours do you spend each day on the computer? If it is a full day's work then I suggest to investigate a quality monitor rather than the cheapest junk. Your eyes will love you for it and if you get one that has no PWM for backlighting then you'll sleep better too if you use it in the evenings. But it cost a lot more. However a good monitor will outlast your computer (or two or three or even four computers).

(these days the background lighting is no longer done by CFL but by LED's and they have problems of their own hence the non PWM backlighting recommendation)

Thanks. I don't work all day on the computer but sometimes I use it a lot and like the idea of being nicer to my eyes. So I went to amazon to look at monitors and typed in non pwm backlighting monitor. That didn't do anything. What are the keywords I need for what I DO want ?

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Thanks. I don't work all day on the computer but sometimes I use it a lot and like the idea of being nicer to my eyes. So I went to amazon to look at monitors and typed in non pwm backlighting monitor. That didn't do anything. What are the keywords I need for what I DO want ?

IPS (In-Plane Switching) is the key term you're looking for.

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas

Here ya go, as they say go big or go home.
Screen Shot 2013-07-30 at 4.20.12 PM.png

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
It takes a lot of digging to find out if the screens have PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) backlighting or not. It is not data that manufacturers normally give out....

For some more info on the above issue:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/pulse_width_modulation.htm

I've got a Dell U2713H and a Dell 2913WM and love them. The first will do saturated colors ("wide gamut") and that is very useful for photographs. The other is a very wide screen which is helpful with big spreadsheets or when I want to compare two documents side by side. They are not cheap but by no means the most expensive screens - they are somewhere halfway between real professional screens for photographers and the consumer market and I got them both on special (Dell often has screens on one of their weekly specials like 25% off in our country).

Happy hunting for a good screen, don't be in a hurry because screens are not all alike.

edit:

another good link with some models:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2248904

PS I had the Dell U2412M first and that caused me troubles and research why. That monitor has gone now from our home.

Last edited:

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Buying a 20" monitor, speakers, and a webcam separately will be much cheaper. Most of the monitors with that are large and cost $300

http://www.amazon.com/VK278Q-27-Inc...1375493951&sr=8-3&keywords=20"+monitor+webcam

You really don't want a cheaper 27" display, most will only output 1080p unlike the Apple 27" display that will do 2560x1440. You just end up with a big screen and the same number of pixels.

A 1080p display at around 23" is the sweet spot, and you can even run dual displays pretty inexpensively.

MacPC

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2006
I use to have an old C2D Mac Mini, the web cam was always a problem, I had never found an inexpensive one that works well (beware that some web cam makers claim it's OSX compatible, these claims are usually bogus!), but I never really have the need for a web cam on the Mini. As for speakers, from my experience, all monitor built in speakers are craps, don't even bother to look for one with built in speakers, focus on a good monitor, get a pair of decent pair of external speaker instead.

MacPC

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2006
You really don't want a cheaper 27" display, most will only output 1080p unlike the Apple 27" display that will do 2560x1440. You just end up with a big screen and the same number of pixels.

A 1080p display at around 23" is the sweet spot, and you can even run dual displays pretty inexpensively.

I use a 27" monitor, made by a little known Korean company called Auria, it gives real 2560x1440, not the bogus 1920x1080. It is quite decent for the price at Microcenter. Centertainly beats Apple's price.:)
http://www.microcenter.com/product/...WQHD_2560x1440,_HDMI,_DVI-D,_DisplayPort,_USB

If you decided to buy it, make sure you get the EQ276W, not the EQ276L, the latter is the bogus version!

Oh yes. it does have a cheap pair of speakers built in. Yuck! :0

Last edited:

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Try to find an IPS one 23 inch 1920x1080 around 250$. You will be very happy you spend that extra 50 bucks. These IPS screens offer iMac like image quality at a very affordable price.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
If you're looking for a good quality, affordable IPS monitor, I can recommend the Dell screens.

I've just purchased a Mac Mini. For a webcam I'm using a Logitech c310. The box and info doesn't state it s Mac compatible, but there is a generic driver on the Logitech website and it works just perfectly. Image and sound quality is far better than the old in-built webcam in my old Macbook.
Edit: link to driver information (it states OS 10.7/8 isn't supported, but it is running fine for me). No idea what the advanced features the webcam can do that the generic driver doesn't support - it works with Skype, and has good sound and picture quality so I'm fine with that. I don't use Facetime so can't advise on compatibility.

For sound I'm using a pair of Sony desktop speakers I've had for years.

Hope that helps, enjoy your Mac Mini :)

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
I'm thinking about getting the 27' inch version of this one for my mini.

To quote myself just a few posts up:

thogin

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
PS I had the Dell U2412M first and that caused me troubles and research why. That monitor has gone now from our home.

I'd be curious to know what problems you had with the 2412. I have one connected to my Mac mini and it's quite an excellent monitor, IMO.

Philgr

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2005
Lakes - UK
Just got this, bit strange with the width, but its a great alternative to a dual setup, currently using it with my 09 MBP - waiting for the next mac mini

Dell UltraSharp U2913WM 29" (73cm) Ultra-wide Monitor

dell-u2913wm-overview1.jpg

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
I'd be curious to know what problems you had with the 2412. I have one connected to my Mac mini and it's quite an excellent monitor, IMO.

Eye problems and headaches due to the backlighting being refreshed. Very few people are affected by it but if you are then it is a real problem, most will never notice it. Check out PWM of the backlighting in some references I gave earlier. Nothing wrong with the installation or driving the monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.