Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
The reason why Apple is letting down customers is because they hired people like you. Satisfied with failure. It's all good man!

If I bought an expensive phone and contract, and couldn't use it for days... well, that would be my last Apple product.

:rolleyes:
those isheeps....

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Well, wonder how much this will effect the sales of iPhones until it's fixed.

With all the trolling in this thread, I can't tell if this is a serious post or not. I don't think the activation server being down for a few hours is going to force Apple to go bankrupt. With that said, most people probably won't go "Oh, I really want to buy an iPhone, but I read online the activation servers are down! I better get an Android! Because I can't wait 1 more day!"

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
Man the trolls came out hardcore for this thread. I for one hope apple can recover from this devastating tragedy. The humanity!!

Oh it's back up now? Whew.

Last edited:

dragon13

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2008
Chicago
Is it working for some people now?

I had to get my phone replaced for a broken lock button, and I haven't been able to activate since around 1pm (est).

Not the end of the world, but it is pretty inconvenient..

thatgirl87

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2013
Oh man that sucks. Good thing my brother got his replacement iPhone activated days before this happened.

satanicangel

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
There was a while when Apple opened the signing of 6.0.x version of iOS... Just a few hours ago.. So I guess they restarted their activation server already..

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
"A" server issue? Really? So the multiple billion $$ Apple has "A" server that has failed. (probably the one hard drive that was in it). Yes crap happens I get that (I am in IT and have been for 25+ yrs). However these days redundancy is more important that ever. There is no excuse for a multibillion$ company like Apple with multiple datacenters all over the place to be down totally. Especially for activations. Not to mention a week long outage of the developer site. With the resources they have there is simply no excuse. Sure an outage is possible and understandable, but it should be resolved swiftly not in days and weeks. I never had that luxury at the small business I worked for. If we were down it there was no way a week could pass and my answer would be "Well things happen relax people"

Yep, just because its "multiple billion $$ Apple" it has to mean things cannot go wrong and we should take from you cause you work in IT. Right!
Let's be real here. Apple wont throw all their resources cause of something like this. They will do their absolute best to get it back up (as we now know it was just few hours) in timely manner. Throwing money out the window unwisely would never take apple where they are now if they did what you demand.
The bigger the company is the harder things get and you cannot simply expect the same approach as you experience in a small business is. In fact, I would dare to think that your knowledge doesnt reach that level to know how company of Apple size can do it effectively. I'm sure you are professional and know everything on your scale but I doubt you know Apple's scale.
I know how to bake a cake and I now how to make 50 cakes a day probably but i have no idea how to bake 100 000 cakes / day. Just because you know how to bake 2000cakes/day doesnt mean you know how to do 100 000cakes/day. - get the point?

And for developer site? They got hacked for crying out loud. They probably must follow certain policies etc. and make sure it cant happen again. That takes time. Sony playstation was down for weeks when they got hacked few years back so please get reasonable.
You remind me the guy CK Louise talks about.

Its just sad how people think these days. And in the centre of it all is money! :(

kevintheartist

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
The reason why Apple is letting down customers is because they hired people like you. Satisfied with failure. It's all good man!

If I bought an expensive phone and contract, and couldn't use it for days... well, that would be my last Apple product.

:rolleyes:

Gosh you're right! That must be why Consumer Reports has rated Apple #1 for 13 years now.....:rolleyes:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Nothing is perfect. Not even Apple.

But you know .. Apple made a slogan "it just works"
Apple also boasts about unplugging iOS off the computer. You know, save everything in the Cloud :rolleyes:

So I can't blame when some people take failure like this for granted. Apple bring the image of perfection by itself. When it does not deliver. People complaints and booing..

Totally normal .. and shame on :apple:

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Yep, just because its "multiple billion $$ Apple" it has to mean things cannot go wrong and we should take from you cause you work in IT. Right!
Let's be real here. Apple wont throw all their resources cause of something like this. They will do their absolute best to get it back up (as we now know it was just few hours) in timely manner. Throwing money out the window unwisely would never take apple where they are now if they did what you demand.
The bigger the company is the harder things get and you cannot simply expect the same approach as you experience in a small business is. In fact, I would dare to think that your knowledge doesnt reach that level to know how company of Apple size can do it effectively. I'm sure you are professional and know everything on your scale but I doubt you know Apple's scale.
I know how to bake a cake and I now how to make 50 cakes a day probably but i have no idea how to bake 100 000 cakes / day. Just because you know how to bake 2000cakes/day doesnt mean you know how to do 100 000cakes/day. - get the point?

And for developer site? They got hacked for crying out loud. They probably must follow certain policies etc. and make sure it cant happen again. That takes time. Sony playstation was down for weeks when they got hacked few years back so please get reasonable.
You remind me the guy CK Louise talks about.

Its just sad how people think these days. And in the centre of it all is money! :(

Wow ok So I have no idea how to bake cakes (other than Dunkin Hines) and I never said that "things cannot go wrong". In fact I said the opposite. I never claimed to know anything about a billion$ organization either. Just simply stating that with the billions of $$ at their disposal and some of the highest paid engineers and technical people in the world a week long outage should not be expected. That's all. The fact that I am in IT does not make me right as you stated but that IS my opinion. In todays world IT uptime is critical and most companies large and small have provisions and redundancy in place as to not to be totally down for weeks at a time. I would expect no less from the richest company in the world. Will life go on? Sure it will but it could cause major issues to folks livelihoods who rely on these companies technologies being available. If my company is an online sales co and the website host looses a server or is hacked or whatever, and it takes a week or two to get it resolved, it could cause me to have to go on the Obama unemployment plan. Anyway relax. Its ok if Apple is down a few more weeks. My device is activated and I am not a developer. So Apple can take their sweet time and get that hard drive economy shipped from TigerDirect and replaced so all will be right with the world again. :)

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Wow ok So I have no idea how to bake cakes (other than Dunkin Hines) and I never said that "things cannot go wrong". In fact I said the opposite. I never claimed to know anything about a billion$ organization either. Just simply stating that with the billions of $$ at their disposal and some of the highest paid engineers and technical people in the world a week long outage should not be expected. That's all. The fact that I am in IT does not make me right as you stated but that IS my opinion. In todays world IT uptime is critical and most companies large and small have provisions and redundancy in place as to not to be totally down for weeks at a time. I would expect no less from the richest company in the world. Will life go on? Sure it will but it could cause major issues to folks livelihoods who rely on these companies technologies being available. If my company is an online sales co and the website host looses a server or is hacked or whatever, and it takes a week or two to get it resolved, it could cause me to have to go on the Obama unemployment plan. Anyway relax. Its ok if Apple is down a few more weeks. My device is activated and I am not a developer. So Apple can take their sweet time and get that hard drive economy shipped from TigerDirect and replaced so all will be right with the world again. :)
I am chilled. I just got fedup (talking in general) how people expect nothing but brilliance and there is no more room for an error. 20 years ago something like this would be met with a bit more "relax" attitude but these days that patience is gone.
Week is nothing considering they got hacked. If its 3 months then I think that is reasonable to be pissed off :))

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
I am chilled. I just got fedup (talking in general) how people expect nothing but brilliance and there is no more room for an error. 20 years ago something like this would be met with a bit more "relax" attitude but these days that patience is gone.
Week is nothing considering they got hacked. If its 3 months then I think that is reasonable to be pissed off :))

You are correct but today, 20 yrs later, our whole being evolves around technology. That's why the patience has dissipated. A single day of a companies technology that you rely on being down can cost you a LOT of $$. Now sbailey's phone not activating due to Apple being down, inconvenience yes, detrimental, not really except no one can reach me if their systems are out and they need IT assistance. ;)

And 3 months wait after spending $650 for the latest mobile device to activate it, hmmm I would guess "pissed off" would be an understatement. LOL . Yeah yeah I know this is talking about the dev portal not activation but........ Same thing could happen I suppose.

tom87blue

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2013
Hi,

I hope someone can help, previous to today I had the latest ios7 software registered with my Developer account so completely legit on my iPhone 5 and then this morning, it said i needed to reactivate!?!? However when i try to reactivate with login details it gives an error messages about the servers? Has anybody had this happen? Does anybody know any info? Thanks in advance

tot1939

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2013
Hi,

I hope someone can help, previous to today I had the latest ios7 software registered with my Developer account so completely legit on my iPhone 5 and then this morning, it said i needed to reactivate!?!? However when i try to reactivate with login details it gives an error messages about the servers? Has anybody had this happen? Does anybody know any info? Thanks in advance

This same thing happened to me one tuesday and i haven't had a working phone since. I was waiting till the dev center was back up running so i could reactivate it without restoring iOS 6 and losing all the information I've had on my phone since. If anyone can help give further advice how to fix this since the dev center is coming back online right now. I was running beta 1 one tuesday and I'm assuming since it expired it kicked me off.

tom87blue

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2013
This same thing happened to me one tuesday and i haven't had a working phone since. I was waiting till the dev center was back up running so i could reactivate it without restoring iOS 6 and losing all the information I've had on my phone since. If anyone can help give further advice how to fix this since the dev center is coming back online right now. I was running beta 1 one tuesday and I'm assuming since it expired it kicked me off.

How would you do reactivate it in the dev center? If it works please let me know i feel lost without a working phone

tot1939

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2013
How would you do reactivate it in the dev center? If it works please let me know i feel lost without a working phone

I downloaded beta 3 from my computer since the dev center was back up and restored it with the new update. I was able to get it loaded onto my phone and get my phone to finally activate. I didn't lose any information from it thankfully, just had to survive for about 4 days with no phone.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Apple seems to be in trouble here...

Allot of angry customers buying their own iPhone from the store, and find they can't even use them..

May be just a coincidence, but I bet this is tired in to the hack of the Developer site.... Strange the 'activation" server has issues, *exactly* the same time as the Developer site is re-done....

Maybe its just over-loaded, but i actually think something else.....

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple seems to be in trouble here...

Allot of angry customers buying their own iPhone from the store, and find they can't even use them..

May be just a coincidence, but I bet this is tired in to the hack of the Developer site.... Strange the 'activation" server has issues, *exactly* the same time as the Developer site is re-done....

Maybe its just over-loaded, but i actually think something else.....
Seems like activation issues didn't last that long and have been resolved already for a little while.

Gurubarry

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2010
If you have your receipt, take it back to the store, and trade it in for an Android. That way you can exchange your few hours of inconvenience for two years of mediocre, kludgy phone usage.

Problem solved.

Sorry to be so long repying...my new Galaxy 3 keeps ringing ...:D

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I can't get my wife's iphone 4 to activate. The thing is stuck.

The iOS7 beta expired on her phone, so today the phone reverted to the Activation menu. I downloaded the latest beta, and went to restore it, but it says I need to go into settings of the phone and turn off Find my iPhone before I can restore it. So now I'm stuck and can't move ahead because the activation fails too.

Good times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.