Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ms341547

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2013

Attachments

• Ipad.png
    Ipad.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 403

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
The ultimate iPad mini looks exactly the way it looks now. Under the hood it has 2GB of RAM, a quad core CPU, higher resolution, and identical or even improved battery life.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I love everything about the mini with the exception being that it doesn't have a retina screen. Push comes to shove, if I needed that form factor I can certainly live with the screen, but I don't so I'm waiting for retina. My iPad 3 is great and I can sell it for enough cash to get me close to a mini whenever that retina screen hits.

Florals

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2013
I love the look of the current iPad mini and feel that reducing the bezel size to match those shown in the left-hand image would cause more harm than good; I want to be able to comfortably hold onto an iPad rather than spend my time desperately trying not to accidentally trigger the touchscreen.

Just like the majority of other people, I'd like a new mini with increased internal specs and a retina display, but for it to be no heavier or bigger. How hard can that be? ;)

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
unlike the mbp and mba--whose external design immediately impresses--ipads are not much to look at. I expect the same utilitarian design to persist with some bezel adjustment. The real challenge for the ipad is to get under a pound, with an optimum weight of about 12 oz. My first impression of the mini was that of something so light and insubstantial doing so much. It really seemed futuristic in a way the full sized ipad never did

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
wow glad the unimaginative people here don't work for apples R&D if you think the looks of the current mini are the "ultimate"

I would expect the iPad mini, in say 5 or 10 years time if it still exists would look far far better than today's model, perhaps total glass to the edge on every face the screen right up to the edge, with a software programmable bezel then needed.
Perhaps programmable deformable screen surface?
the speed of a mac pro
last for years on a nuclear power cell?

things along that line, if you are thinking ultimate

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
The look of the iPad mini is not the problem. The screen is the main issue for 2013. No matter what you do you must get the screen updated. If you throw in a 4ghz processor with 8gigs of ram and 20mp camera the consumer will still criticize Apple for not doing anything with the display especially if you compare to the Nexus 7.
But the part that sucks for Apple is that if they do put a Retina display in the mini it will sale more than the full size iPad regardless of how powerful the full size is. Apple is in a vulnerable position at the moment with the iPad. I think their game plan is to sale the iPad 5 first to boost sales and then release the mini. You start to get people unsure of their original purchase and they buy again.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
The ultimate mini for me would be the same design it has now, "retina" screen, at least 2gb of RAM and an A6 processor with 256gb of storage.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
The ultimate mini for me would be the same design it has now, "retina" screen, at least 2gb of RAM and an A6 processor with 256gb of storage.

So, you would not want say 1TB, 2TB or 10TB or storage, 1 TB of RAM, a CPU as fast as today's super computers and a battery that lasted the lifetime of the product without charging, and perhaps a holographic screen?

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
So, you would not want say 1TB, 2TB or 10TB or storage, 1 TB of RAM, a CPU as fast as today's super computers and a battery that lasted the lifetime of the product without charging, and perhaps a holographic screen?

No because I'm not looking to pay six figures for a tablet. Can't tell if you're trying to be a smartass or not.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
No because I'm not looking to pay six figures for a tablet. Can't tell if you're trying to be a smartass or not.

No, not a smart ass.

The question was what would the ULTIMATE iPad Mini look like.
Not a fractionally enhanced one of today.

Imagine in 1979/1980 when the Atari VCS was launched what your ultimate games console would be. Back then you would have to be really going over top to imagine anything so mind blowing as a PS4 or XboxOne could ever exist at an affordable price, it would be unbelievable back then with your chunky low colour graphics and tiny memory game carts.

So when some one says, what would an Ultimate small tablet be like, the I'm going to think of something, at the moment I would imagine to be ultimate.

And that does not mean a nicer screen, little faster and bit more memory.
That's not ultimate. that's your "what would a *bit better* tablet look like"

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
"faster internals" is a dime in a dozen for ultimate.

Ultimate innovation in the iPad mini would be to have a clear glass pane as the display and controls (unrealistic, but its what we are looking for; not better CPU storage ram blah blah - think outside the box)

Though I am loving the concept of an edge to edge ipad. Im not worried of the "accidentally tapping the screen" because as it is, my thumb is already on the mini's display and I have no problems. (yes, the display, not the bezel)

A true edge to edge would be amazing, but Id be perfectly happy with the one in the OP. The ultimate ipad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9s2oYUy_cVY

iPad-3-concept.jpg

AppleFan1984

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2010
Well, it's not quite mini, but the iPad I've been waiting for is a Macbook Air with a detachable touch screen.

LightOnAHill

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Well, it's not quite mini, but the iPad I've been waiting for is a Macbook Air with a detachable touch screen.

I've been interested in this too, and I expect apple will eventually release something like this.

I'd want it to be a full computer so I can dual boot it and be able to put windows on it so I can play Starcraft on it, I'm talking about the original Starcraft. It's a classic and my fraternity brothers and I still get together and link up on wifi for some UDP play verses the computer. Good times, good times!

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
I hope they keep the same size and just bump the specs. I love the size of my mini. I truly feel it is the perfect work tablet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.