Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Im currently waiting for a Haswell rMBP because its literally round the corner.
I wouldnt wait a full year for an update. Seriously just buy the machine and enjoy it. Every year something better will come along, thats just the nature of technology. You can wait a year, and you'll hear rumours of the developments for the following year, which will be much better etc. Its a continuous cycle. Where will you stop?

It's actually looking more and more it's going to be a 2 year wait. Intel's claiming having 'issues' with 14nm production so there will only be a Haswell 'refresh' next year with bumps up in frequency. IMHO, I think Intel is just delaying Broadwell due to lack of competition as pathetic AMD can't even hold a candle to them in performance and power usage. Get your Haswell MBA now and enjoy the 9/12 battery life for the next 2 years!

beautifulcoder

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013
The Republic of Texas
I personally think Apple is thinking of doing away with Intel once the ARM chip is more capable. I agree, fanless is the future, just not the way most think. Bye, bye Wintel. Imagine, basically an iPad with Retina running OS X. The battery life and form factor potential is infinitive. Plus no more wretched fan. :cool:

cedwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Canada
I could care less about fanless, because I've had my Haswell MBA for a few weeks now, and have yet to even hear the fan.. lol

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
I personally think Apple is thinking of doing away with Intel once the ARM chip is more capable. I agree, fanless is the future, just not the way most think. Bye, bye Wintel. Imagine, basically an iPad with Retina running OS X. The battery life and form factor potential is infinitive. Plus no more wretched fan. :cool:

I guess you want Apple again to have inferior performance compared to windows laptops like the 'good old days' of the severely outclassed G4s when windows laptops were smoking them with core 2 duo CPUs. ARM is low power because it IS low powered. Anandtech just did an article directly comparing iPad 4 vs the latest MBA's. Even when adjusted for the same battery capacity as iPad 4, the 2013 MBA has BETTER battery life than an iPad 4. ARM is popular as it's cheap. The article is here.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Supposedly Broadwell will allow laptops like the Air to do away with fans entirely, which sounds incredible in terms of space savings, eliminating noise, battery savings, etc.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/06/hp-fanless-intel-haswell-tablet/

I'm guessing if the Broadwell Air can do away with a fan entirely then that is when we'll see the next design refresh.

So with Broadwell due out in a year's time would it be worth waiting for it?

Triple Constraint - Highest Quality, Best Price and Timeframe. At best you can have two of the three. You have to pick which of the three are most important to you.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I could care less about fanless, because I've had my Haswell MBA for a few weeks now, and have yet to even hear the fan.. lol

While I agree that the Haswell MBA is remarkably quiet (and I mean REMARKABLY quiet), going fanless would mean that I don't even need to worry about blocking any vents. Nowadays, I'm still conscious of no blocking vents when I have my MBA on my lap or in bed.

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
While I agree that the Haswell MBA is remarkably quiet (and I mean REMARKABLY quiet), going fanless would mean that I don't even need to worry about blocking any vents. Nowadays, I'm still conscious of no blocking vents when I have my MBA on my lap or in bed.

You need to chill bro. Your thousand bucks of a laptop has been built to survive bad parenting. It can take care of itself.

It's only weakness is water at this point.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
It's actually looking more and more it's going to be a 2 year wait. Intel's claiming having 'issues' with 14nm production so there will only be a Haswell 'refresh' next year with bumps up in frequency. IMHO, I think Intel is just delaying Broadwell due to lack of competition as pathetic AMD can't even hold a candle to them in performance and power usage. Get your Haswell MBA now and enjoy the 9/12 battery life for the next 2 years!

AMD's fall has been a mixed blessing. I never wanted to see AMD in Macs and so am glad they were never quite as good as Intel. But at least they used to keep Intel on their toes. Now AMD is just pathetic. If they didn't have the game consoles (which IMHO they got due to lowball pricing) they'd be in even bigger trouble.

jarroyo1031

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
The next generation is always going to be better than the current.

You can keep waiting to infinity if you follow this way of thinking as there's always going to be something better just over the horizon.

----------

To be honest the huge jump will be when we move away from the 1970's battery tech that we still use in today's products.

Amen.

fierywater

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2008
Sunderland, MA
I guess you want Apple again to have inferior performance compared to windows laptops like the 'good old days' of the severely outclassed G4s when windows laptops were smoking them with core 2 duo CPUs. ARM is low power because it IS low powered. Anandtech just did an article directly comparing iPad 4 vs the latest MBA's. Even when adjusted for the same battery capacity as iPad 4, the 2013 MBA has BETTER battery life than an iPad 4. ARM is popular as it's cheap. The article is here.

This is exactly right.

ARM will never, ever, ever catch up to Intel as far as power is concerned, and Intel is only getting better with power consumption. Intel is also coming out with a lower TDP Haswell chip that will be able to run fanless.

ARM's sole advantage at this point is price.

beautifulcoder

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013
The Republic of Texas
magbarn said:
ARM is low power because it IS low powered.

Exactly, no one cares about performance these days. If that were the case the first iPhone would have failed. Plus with cloud computing and more efficient software, it looks like power hungry CPUs are going the way of the Dodo.

magbarn said:
Anandtech just did an article directly comparing iPad 4 vs the latest MBA's. Even when adjusted for the same battery capacity as iPad 4, the 2013 MBA has BETTER battery life than an iPad 4. ARM is popular as it's cheap. The article is here.

That report says the opposite. The iPad 4 still gets around 15 hours of video. No clue where they got browsing test results, I'm getting 15 hours on my iPad and that is all I do with it. Plus some other stuff and nothing compares to it in terms of battery life.

fierywater said:
ARM will never, ever, ever catch up to Intel as far as power is concerned, and Intel is only getting better with power consumption. Intel is also coming out with a lower TDP Haswell chip that will be able to run fanless.

Not in the cards. I believe Intel is racing ARM to the bottom. My 2013 MBA is actually clocked at a slower speed than the previous generation. So the way I see it, you are right, ARM will never, ever, ever, need to "catch up". Intel is doing all the real catch up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.